Thirtythird

Single Portrait

Selina slightly turned her head.

“What are you talking about?” Selina questioned.

Chun turned to her then stared at her. Selina almost stepped back when Chun began to come toward her. He stopped a feet away as he stared into her eyes. Selina could feel herself become nervous and filled with something she could almost call fear.

“You were with Jiro the whole evening yesterday,” Chun said.

Selina stared back at Chun finally realizing why he had been so angry.

“That’s all?” Selina asked. “Do you not have the least bit of trust in me?”

“No,” Chun replied without hesitating, “why should I trust you when you lie to me again and again?”

“But it’s not what you think,” Selina tried to defend her stand. “I…”

“You what? You went to deliver papers? And all of a sudden ended up with Jiro the whole evening?” asked Chun.

Selina could feel disbelief fill her. Again, Chun had to make it sound like she was the only one at fault.

“Yes so I went to deliver some papers, but I did not intentionally end up with Jiro the whole evening,” Selina told. “You aren’t listening to me.”

“You’re going to lie again if I listen,” Chun told. “How am I supposed to believe you when you didn’t even answer my 15 calls?”

Selina opened to retaliate, but decided against it. She took a breath then turned away.

“I didn’t know it would happen,” Selina told. “End of story.”

“End of story? Do you take us lightly?” Chun asked. “Selina you clearly know how I feel about Jiro and you know this is not the first time something like this has happened.”

“I don’t understand why you have to dislike Jiro so much,” Selina told. “He’s doing everything to preserve your friendship and you can’t even trust him a little.”

“Because you’re my girlfriend and Jiro’s my friend. Should it be right for you to be with your boyfriend or your boyfriend’s friend?” Chun asked. “Which sounds right to you Selina?”

Selina stared back at Chun clearly realizing the answer.

“What did you do yesterday?” Chun suddenly asked.

Selina stared back at Chun, “I don’t know what you’re thinking.”

“A man and a woman alone Selina, how does that sound? Anything can happen. When you don’t answer my calls it could mean anything has happened,” Chun told with dead straight serious tone.

Selina felt like slapping him, but restrained herself.

“If I tell you nothing happened you wouldn’t believe me anyway,” Selina replied. “Ok, so believe what you will then.”

“I think you should straighten out your thoughts Selina,” Chun advised, “who is Jiro to you? You should still remember we’re still in a relationship, but it feels like I’m the only one putting effort into it.”

Chun then turned away and headed up the stairs. As Chun closed the door upstairs Selina finally turned around. She wanted to yell and shout at him, but what good would it do? Chun had become so strange she couldn’t even understand him straight. Selina put her shoes back on and opened the door closing behind her as she stepped back outside. She finally took out her phone to see that there were 20 missed calls all of them from Chun. Selina sighed and sat down.

“At least he’s right Selina, you really do need to straighten up your line of thoughts,” Selina told herself.

Selina felt her memories propel backwards.

-Flashback-

“Selina, if I were you I wouldn’t be holding back for so long. Who knows when the situation could turn into something else and then you suddenly lose the chance,” Ella told. “Happiness seems like it’s easy to attain, but it is hard to keep.”

-End of Flashback-

Ella’s words appeared visibly in her head. Selina could feel a swift wind breeze pass her and feeling as if she had just garnered enough courage Selina got up from where she had been sitting and began running.

***

Jiro tilted his head toward the ceiling and could feel his thoughts begin to drift into space. The only things he could think of were Selina. When she had suddenly appeared at his house yesterday he wasn’t sure what to think of it. He could only remember Selina’s hardworking face and the way she smiled. Those images ran through his head and without knowing the corner of his lips began to curve into a smile.

The door suddenly opened throwing Jiro out of his thoughts. When he turned he felt more than surprised to see Selina standing at the doorway. Conscious of himself Jiro sat straight up in his chair and glanced at her with curious eyes. Selina also stared back at him as if she was lost. He watched her close the door behind her and take a step forward.

Selina was silent for a moment as she looked around and bit her lip wondering if she was really going to do what she was going to do.

“What are you…” Jiro began.

Feeling as if the whole moment would change if she didn’t say anything Selina finally spoke up, “I like you.”

Jiro could feel himself become speechless. Were his ears working right? Was he asleep? He stared back at her and wanted to say the same thing back, but he couldn’t. Sudden memories of Chun who had given up the hurt Ella ran through his head. Could he possibly let Chun become like that again?

Jiro tried not to turn his head away, but failed at it.

With his face turned away from Selina Jiro told coldly, “Get out.”

Selina’s mouth dropped open.

“I’ve told you before this is not the place to play around. Did you not understand me then?” asked Jiro.

Selina stared at Jiro and began to protest, “You…”

“Just get out Selina,” Jiro repeated himself. “It won’t do good for you to stay here.”

“You’re lying,” Selina suddenly said, “I felt it from you too. How can you…”

The door behind her suddenly opened and Selina spun around to see Mr. Wang standing there. Mr. Wang returned her stare.

“I thought you said you already quit,” he told.

Selina turned her head down.

“Then what are you still doing here?” he asked.

“Good evening Sir,” Selina greeted. “I’m sorry, I’ll take my leave.”

Selina turned to glance at Jiro once more then turned back to walk out of the office. Selina turned around once she was halfway down the hallway to see that Jiro’s father had closed the door to his office.

“Shouldn’t you be ashamed of yourself for coming back here?” Selina asked herself.

***

“What’s going on here?” asked his father. “I’ve told you plenty of times that the office is not a place for personal matters.”

“It was an accident,” Jiro replied without feeling in his tone. “Sorry.”

“It better not happen again,” his father told.

His father turned away to walk out, but turned back.

“I forgot, you should go see your mother,” he told then closed the door behind him. “She had the flu a few days ago.”

Jiro stared at the wall for a long time. Selina’s sudden confession ran itself over and over in his head. He knew well that it couldn’t happen and he couldn’t accept it, but a part of him felt like jumping into the air and saying yes. But if Chun knew how would he look at him? Jiro felt more than lost. How could he react? Obviously he had to disappoint Selina.

***

Selina held her face in the palms of her hands as she lied on her stomach on the bed. It wasn’t true she kept repeating to herself over and over. Jiro was just afraid he’d break Chun’s heart. Selina wanted to believe that fact. But had she been wrong about Jiro’s feelings? Had he actually felt that way for her? But what if Jiro was lying about what he’d just said? But what if he wasn’t lying? Selina felt like running out into the streets to scream. Had she just confessed for nothing?

***

Jiro stopped outside of the hospital door. Visiting her reminded him of the conversation he’d had last night with Selina during dinner. Without knocking he opened the door to find his mother reading a book.

“You’re here,” she said with a gentle, yet weak smile.

Jiro smiled and walked over.

“The doctor said your health has gone back up,” Jiro told.

“Well isn’t that good news?” asked his mother.

Jiro smiled and became quiet. His mother looked at him evaluating his face.

“Is something wrong? You don’t look very happy,” his mother told. “Did something happen?”

Jiro quickly shook his head no.

“I’ve seen you grow up to be such a great young man. What girl ditched you now?” his mother asked.

“Mom,” Jiro said. “It’s nothing…don’t you feel that this room is kind of cold? Would you like me to turn the temperature up?”

“I told the nurse to turn it down,” his mother told. “Sit back down and tell me what’s wrong.”

Jiro did as told.

“What’s the matter? Why aren’t you speaking?” asked his mother.

“I don’t know how to say it,” Jiro told.

“Did I raise you to be stupid?” his mother joked. “Lets see it can either be about Chun or the girl you’ve been telling me about. It’s her isn’t it?”

“Truthfully I should be really happy, but I’m scared,” Jiro told.

“If you really like her then there shouldn’t be any need to worry about anything else,” his mother said. “You’ve to have faith in yourself, ok?”

Jiro was in a good mood when he returned home. He felt as if he was pumped up and ready to face reality. If Selina was ready to face her own feelings shouldn’t he pull up his courage and do the same? For once he believed this situation was different from what happened three years ago. Selina liked him and he liked her…back then Ella did not return his feelings.

***

Selina sat in her office silently running through the dozens of reports Chun had just suddenly handed her without a word. She believed he had not let go of the argument yesterday yet. Selina sighed and stared at the clock. Would she finally be stuck at the office all day? That kind of life…sounded so boring to her. She began to wonder how Jiro dealt with it.

***

There was a sudden knock on the door and Jiro looked up. The door opened and his secretary walked in with a thin binder.

“There’s been another joint meeting scheduled today,” he told.

“Another one?” asked Jiro. “Those joint meetings are so tiring.”

“Sorry Sir, but it has been suddenly called for. You need to get there right away,” his secretary explained.

“Where is it?” asked Jiro.

Jiro sat in the car beside his secretary staring out the window. It didn’t sound exciting to be going to Chun’s company at that second. However, at least he would get to see his friend and then maybe after the meeting he could call Selina out. He was sure Selina would be feeling disappointed after yesterday. The way his dad had spoken to her clearly showed that he did not like her. Maybe Jiro could get that matter cleared up and tell her about what he had actually wanted to say. Would it be offending Selina after he had just suddenly tried to kick her out of his office? He felt sorry that he had suddenly been cold toward her, but he was sure Selina knew the reason why.

The car slowly came to a stop and his secretary turned to look at him.

“We’re here sir,” he said.

Jiro nodded and walked out following his secretary into the building. As Jiro rode up the elevator he wondered why the meeting was suddenly called for.

“The boss is always going into her office, are they dating or something?” one of the workers asked as they waited for their coffee in a small refreshment room.

“I always see him inviting her to lunch too. Maybe they are dating because he just suddenly brought her into the company,” another one said.

Jiro turned around to glance back at them then hurried off to follow his secretary into the meeting. As Jiro entered the room he saw Chun sitting by the end of the table quietly staring at some papers.

“What’s up?” Jiro greeted walking over to him.

“Finalizing some facts before the meeting,” Chun replied with looking at Jiro.

Jiro glanced at Chun once more to see a glum expression on his face.

“Is something wrong?” asked Jiro.

“Could you stop bothering me?” Chun asked turning to look at Jiro.

Jiro could see a hard glare coming from Chun’s eyes.   

“Ok, sorry,” Jiro apologized.

With that Chun turned away to stare at his papers again. Jiro frowned at him wondering what exactly had irritated Chun. Once the meeting began Jiro finally remembered the conversation between Chun’s employees. Was Chun having a relationship with someone? Or did he like someone else?

When the meeting ended Jiro ordered his secretary to go to the car first. With that Jiro made his way to hurry off after Chun. Instead of following Chun to his office he went into a small office a few doors down from his. Jiro watched as Chun walked in and walked back out. Curious Jiro slowly took a few steps forward and stared into the office slowly recognizing some of the things on the desk. The first thing that caught Jiro’s eyes was the pencil cup. It was exactly the same one Selina had used when she had worked for him. Feeling his heart race Jiro flipped through some of the papers, but didn’t find her name anywhere. Jiro quickly turned around and hurried down the hallway. It wasn’t possible that Selina was with Chun…inside the company was it?

***

Chun opened the door to the balcony to find Selina with a cup of coffee in her hand. Selina turned to glance at him then turned away. Chun turned to look at the ground then took a step forward.

“I’ve been thinking it does seem I’ve gone overboard,” Chun admitted. “Sorry.”

Selina turned to look at Chun.

“When it comes to getting angry I think you should know how I am,” Chun continued.

“I guess you’re right,” Selina replied. “I guess you do need anger management.”

Chun smiled and reached for Selina’s hand. Selina couldn’t look into Chun’s eyes averted her eyes to glance at their hands entwined. She began to feel sorry toward him because she could only feel feelings of gratitude and thanks for Chun.

***

Jiro stopped in the middle of the hallway and grabbed a random person.

“Have you seen Chun?” he asked.

“The boss? I think he went up to the balcony,” he replied.

Jiro nodded and hurried toward the stairs at the end of the hallway. Jiro came to a pause when he was barely there. Why was he chasing Chun? What answer did he want to get out of him? He shook his head throwing his questions aside. As Jiro opened the door he came to another stop. There was another door in front of him…a glass door which led to the balcony. Jiro could clearly see Chun and Selina standing together. His heart pounded…angrily or painfully? Jiro turned around. So Selina was there…she was working for Chun…

***

Selina slowly pulled her hand out of Chun’s grasp.

“I think we should both take our words back,” Selina told.

Chun looked at her half lost.

Selina looked up at him guiltily, “I think I need some time off from this…us.”

“What?” Chun asked in disbelief.

They were silent for a moment.

“Because of Jiro?” Chun asked. “You want to be with Jiro…I said you should take some time to straighten out your thoughts…but not like this. I think you need more time to organize everything.”

Selina shook her head, “I’ve already thought for a long enough time.”

With her head down Selina began to walk pass Chun. Chun turned around to look at Selina. Fear of losing her and never seeing her again flooded him. His legs began to move and before Selina could make her way down the stairs he threw his arms around her from behind.

“I haven’t agreed to it yet…so you can’t go.” Chun said leaning his head against hers. “You can’t go anywhere yet.”

Selina slightly turned her head to look at Chun. Did he like her that much? To the point that he wouldn’t be able to let go?

***

Jiro miserably sat at his desk. All his positive feelings about facing reality had quickly dissolved. Had Selina taken yesterday as a rejection? Was that why she had gone back to be with Chun? Jiro had nothing to feel but a hole of regret within him. It looked like he wouldn’t be able to tell Selina anything.

***

Selina was stuck in her room going over and over in her head what she was only sure of now, which was her feelings for Jiro. But why was Chun making her feel so bad? Looking at him made her feel guilty and she couldn’t forget the time when he had come running to her at her grandfather’s death. Selina smiled to herself thankful of that sudden moment; however, it was also the moment that had turned everything upside down. Selina got up from her bed and made her way to the window to stare out at the stars within the night sky. At that moment she could only think about her grandfather and ask him for help. She wanted to ask him to help her fix the situation so that Chun would return back to being kind and gentle, the one who didn’t hate Jiro so much and the one who had been caring toward Selina.