Thirthfourth

Single Portrait

***

Chun quickly turned when the phone began to ring.

“Chun!” his mother shouted when he answered. “I’ve great news!”

“What is it mom? You don’t have to scream in my ears,” Chun told.

“I’ll be returning!” she shouted. “Just before Saturday and I hope you remember what day Saturday is.”

“The company anniversary?” Chun said.

“Correct!” his mother replied.

“You want to celebrate right after you return? Won’t you be tired?” Chun questioned.

“No, no forget that. At the banquet we can also announce your engagement,” his mother said. “Haven’t you been waiting for this? I have!”

“But why now?” asked Chun.

“Haven’t you and Selina had enough time alone now? It’s time to make her my daughter in law,” Mrs. Wu told. “You have to stop being so cared Chun. You don’t have to worry about a thing because I already bought a dress for Selina and something for you…but keep it a secret from Selina alright? I want to surprise her. I can’t wait to see her happy face then.”

Chun hung up the phone then turned to look at the stairs as if Selina would be standing there. He felt scared for Selina. He obviously knew that Selina didn’t want to stay anymore and he knew it would hurt her to do this to her…but what could he tell his mom now? That they never really had anything with each other from the beginning? His mom would be furious if she found out whatsoever. If the engagement were to go on…shouldn’t he be content?

***

“Your aunt will be returning this weekend,” Jiro’s father told, “she wants to invite us to the banquet for the company anniversary. Why don’t you go? I probably won’t have enough time to make it.”

“But I don’t want to…” Jiro started.

“You are my son, you should attend more of these and get acquainted with more people,” his father told, “don’t give me any more excuses now.”

Jiro watched as his father got up from the dinner table. Even as a day had passed by Jiro hadn’t felt any better about anything. Going to the banquet…would Selina be there? And he would have to face Chun. He didn’t feel like looking at Chun anymore…because every time he looked at Chun he would feel guilty and looking at Chun just reminded him of Selina. The ringing of Jiro’s cell phone broke the silence between him.

A minute later Jiro found himself stepping inside a restaurant looking for Ella. From the back corner Ella waved her arm in the air. Recognizing her Jiro made his way over and took a seat in front of her.

“You look…like a bum,” Ella complimented.

“I haven’t felt so well,” Jiro replied then glanced at the dishes of food Ella had already ordered. “I already ate…sorry.”

“But there’s another friend coming along so don’t worry about it,” Ella told. “So what’s up?”

Jiro shrugged and stared at the scenery outside the window they were sitting next to.

“You did something didn’t you?” Ella asked. “So what is it? You got into an argument with Chun? Or you did something bad at work?”

“She said…she likes me,” Jiro said.

Ella’s mouth dropped open.

“But I think…she took my answer as a rejection,” Jiro told.

“Then that’s too bad for you,” Ella said. “You should have made yourself clearer.”

Jiro found that he couldn’t even look at Ella. She reminded him too much of Chun and he felt worse enough recalling what he had witnessed between Chun and Selina. Was he upset with her? Because she hadn’t told him that she’d been working for Chun? Maybe he was more hurt than upset?

“Over here!” Ella suddenly shouted.

Jiro’s head shot up and he turned back to find Selina walking toward them, but as soon as she saw him she seemed to stop in her tracks. The friend Ella had been speaking about…was Selina? Since when had they gotten close enough to call each other friends?

“Come sit over here,” Ella urged beckoning toward Selina.

Selina pursed her lips as she walked over to sit next to Ella. Jiro slightly glanced at her then turned toward the window. She probably didn’t realize that he knew. Besides…what would it matter to her now?

“Don’t bother about Jiro. He’s just pouting like a little kid. I have to warn you he’s always doing that,” Ella whispered to Selina though she was raising her voice.

Selina, however, kept her eyes on Jiro hoping he would at least turn to her. She had wanted to see him, but had no way of doing so. Would he still be considering her confession? Would Jiro suddenly tell her that he liked her too?

Ella glanced from Selina who had her eyes on Jiro to Jiro who was staring out of the window. Smiling to herself Ella figured something had happened between the two of them. So Jiro had confessed to Selina and was afraid Selina had taken his answer as a rejection…however it seem Jiro had seemed to misunderstand one point because Selina had her eyes glued onto him.

“Jiro why don’t you…” Ella began.

“I think I have to go now,” Jiro said turning to look at Ella, but averted his eyes from Selina.

Keep his head toward the ground Jiro got up to go. Selina watched him go and turned to Ella.

“I’ll go to the bathroom for a bit,” Selina excused herself and got up quickly.

Ella watched as Selina chased Jiro. She hoped they would be able to fix whatever it was that was between them.

***

Selina pushed open the front doors to find Jiro walking toward his car.

“Jiro!” she shouted.

Jiro stopped. Selina hurried toward him and stopped behind him unsure of what to say. She had run out so suddenly she hadn’t even thought about why she had done so. Jiro did not turn around.

“Go back Selina,” Jiro told.

With that Jiro walked toward his car unlocking the door and went in. Selina took a step forward, but stopped. Why did Jiro seem so distant?

***

Jiro stared at Selina through his rearview mirror. He felt sad for leaving her like that, but he had no choice. Selina belonged to Chun now.

***

Ella watched as Selina walked back to the table. Selina gave Ella a small smile before she started to eat the food. Ella wondered how long it would take for Selina to finally figure out the fact that Ella knew everything already.

***

Selina sat in her bedroom quietly tossing her cell phone between her left and right hand. She was supposed to be asleep an hour ago, but she had spent most of that time debating to herself whether she should give Jiro a call or not. Finally giving up she flipped open her cell phone and pressed the talk button.

***

Jiro sat silent in his bedroom staring out into space. He felt sad, irritated, and upset with himself. The only time when he hadn’t feared anything was the only time when everything had gone against him. He was still so afraid of hurting Chun and having the past repeat itself. He was too scared of it that he wasn’t able to push himself toward Selina anymore. His phone began to ring bringing him back to reality. Jiro looked to see who was calling and turned away from his phone. Why would Selina be calling? Anyway he wouldn’t be able to talk to her.

***

Selina finally gave up on her third try. Maybe Jiro was out or he was busy with something. She would probably just be bothering him or something. Giving up Selina threw herself against the bed.

The next day at work another joint meeting was called. Though Selina wasn’t invited to attend the meeting with Chun she had been told to organize some papers to bring to Chun in the meeting room. When Selina had finally closed the binder she stepped out into the hallway and made her way toward the meeting room. After handing Chun the binder Selina turned around to see Jiro just coming in through the doorway. Selina froze in her spot as Jiro looked her way. He quickly turned away taking a seat away from Chun. She hadn’t expected Jiro to find out…but even if he did what did she expect from him? Jealousy? Anger? She couldn’t read the expression that was spread over his face.

“Selina, the meeting is starting you should go,” Chun told nudging her.

Selina turned to look at Chun and as she walked out her eyes were glued upon Jiro. She hadn’t expected him to find out that she’d been working for Chun that way…no she didn’t want him to find out. Selina stopped outside the meeting room. She wanted to wait till the meeting was over…then talk to Jiro. Maybe it wouldn’t matter to him, but it mattered to her.

***

Chun stared at the hallway. Of course Selina wouldn’t be gone yet. Chun then turned to look at Jiro who did not turn to look back at him. Was Jiro upset? The serious expression on his face was the only one Chun would see when Jiro wanted to avoid something.

As the meeting ended Jiro took his time gathering up the papers he had gathered throughout the meeting. Chun got up from his chair after watching Jiro and stopped by his seat.

“Lets talk,” Chun said.

As Chun walked out from the meeting room he saw Selina waiting outside. When she saw him and Jiro she looked curious whatsoever anxious. Chun turned away from her and headed down the hallway with Jiro walking beside him. When they finally reached Chun’s office and when the door had closed Chun turned around to look at Jiro.

“I’m in a hurry, what do you want?” asked Jiro.

“Are you angry about something?” Chun dodged Jiro’s question.

Jiro stared back at Chun and slumped down on the couch in the office.

“I’m tired,” Jiro began. “That’s all.”

“If this is…” Chun began.

“I heard your mother’s coming back. My dad’s forcing me to attend the banquet this weekend,” Jiro interrupted. “Don’t worry I’ll be there for sure.”

Chun stared at his friend unsure of what Jiro was trying to do. He, himself, wasn’t sure what he had wanted to do. They were silent for a moment.

“I know you want to know,” Chun told.

Jiro turned to look at him with a raised eyebrow.

“I forced Selina to quit and placed her in the company,” Chun said, “you must have been curious to why she resigned. I’m just going to say this straight out, Jiro, instead of walking around this. We’re mature now aren’t we? We should be able to talk about these kinds of things man to man.”

Jiro stared back at Chun.

“I’ve told you how I clearly feel for Selina and I didn’t like her being with you. Even my mom has already asked her to take it into consideration to come work here, but Selina didn’t seem to make any move. Sorry if you’re short one person in your department, but Selina and I made a one month deal. However it turns out later and wherever she chooses to go has nothing to do with me or you,” Chun said.

“You don’t need to repeat yourself.” Jiro told. “If you’re trying to get a message through me I know where you’re going. There’s no such thing as letting the past repeat itself. As of right now I have more things to worry about than these relationship affairs.”

Jiro got up from the couch.

“Then I’ll be heading out,” Jiro told walking toward the door.

Chun watched as the door closed. What had exactly just happened? Had he just warned Jiro to stay away from Selina? Again?

***

Selina had been waiting outside. It wouldn’t look good for Chun or for her if she were to talk to Jiro inside. When Jiro walked through the doorway she immediately turned.

“Jiro!” Selina called.

Jiro stopped and turned to look at Selina. Just looking at her would be enough for him. Jiro turned again and began to go to his car. Selina chased after him without thinking.

“Wait Jiro,” Selina began.

“Please don’t bother me, I’m in a hurry back,” Jiro said and got in his car.

Selina stepped back as she watched him drive out. Would she be able to get her words through him?

***

Jiro hadn’t intended to let Chun’s words get to him, but he felt hurt…again. Just as the first time when he’d found out Chun’s feelings for Selina…and that they both liked the same girl again. Why did it have to keep happening? Why did such coincidences have to keep happening? Chun’s words of warning were clear enough and at least Chun had the ability to speak to him face to face about it. Jiro was clear on the fact that he would have to leave behind his feelings for Selina, but it was hard to do so when he knew the fact that Selina obviously liked him too. Jiro stepped on the accelerator and sped up on the street.

***

Chun watched Selina walk back into her office. Should he tell her about the banquet? About what his mother was planning? Seeing her lost expression Chun figured it’d be better to not speak to her. Afterall Selina would have to understand the fact that it would be hard for her to be with Jiro now.

***

Ella looked around the park wondering why Jiro had suddenly called her out. It had been a while since he’d called her out. Finding a familiar figure sitting on a bench bent over Ella quickly walked over and gave him a slap on the back.

“What’d you call me out for?” asked Ella. “Are you done with work early?”

Jiro looked up at Ella and made a face at the pain he’d felt from her slap.

“I was bored,” Jiro replied.

Ella smirked and sat down, “You don’t call me out because you’re bored.”

“There’s always a first,” Jiro told.

“Is there something you want to say?” asked Ella.

“The anniversary for Chun’s company is this weekend. Do you want to accompany me?” asked Jiro.

“Me? You’re not trying to ask me on a date are you?” Ella questioned.

“Of course not!” Jiro replied hastily. “That’s old now.”

Ella smiled, “Then why not? I’ll be bored this weekend anyway.”

Jiro didn’t say anything as he let the wind run itself over his face.

“So have you fixed it yet?” Ella asked.

“Fixed what?” Jiro said.

“Have you told her anything yet?” asked Ella.

“You don’t have to speak about it to bring me down,” Jiro said tilted his head up toward the trees.

“Who says I am,” Ella said, “I’ve told you before haven’t I? I’m afraid you’re going to be disappointed soon if you don’t perk up. If you don’t want your feelings of like to turn into regret it might be best for you to just forget everything if you’re not going to do anything.”

***

Selina found herself staring out of the window as Chun drove them back. Chun wasn’t saying anything either and with the mood Selina was in she didn’t care what was going through Chun’s mind. She felt like becoming angry. She wanted to yell and shout. How can Jiro just ignore her and walk off? Why did it have to be because of Chun? Jiro had been so cold to her…was it because he already knew? Selina felt like such an idiot.

“What are you thinking about? You’ve been sitting in the car for 3 minutes,” Chun said opening Selina’s door.

Without a word Selina stepped out and began toward the house.

“Selina,” Chun called after her.

Selina came to a pause before going up the steps.

“The day after tomorrow is the company anniversary. My mom would like it if you attend,” Chun told.

Selina turned around to look at Chun who hadn’t moved from where he had parked the car.

“I know. I’ll be there,” Selina replied then went into the house.

The atmosphere had suddenly grown colder and lonelier. Chun wondered if the house had always been like that or did it just eventually turn into a cold ruin itself. Selina seemed as if she didn’t want to speak to him anymore. What could he do to make her talk?

By dinner time Chun had gone back upstairs. He’d wanted to eat dinner with Selina…it had felt like some time since they’d finally eaten together. And he had wanted a nice meal together before his mother would come back. Chun paused in front of Selina’s door wondering if he should just open it. However, feeling nervous with the possibility that Selina would reject him Chun knocked gently on the door. When there was no reply Chun knocked again.

“Are you hungry?” Chun asked.

When there was no reply Chun opened the door quietly to find Selina sleeping. Feeling disappointed Chun closed the door deciding on a cup of ramen noodles for dinner.

***

Selina couldn’t concentrate at all the next day at work. Thoughts of Jiro being angry at her made her mind shake. She felt unsettled. Selina shifted in her chair, got up, paced back and forth and stared at the walls. It was as if she couldn’t breathe if she didn’t tell Jiro the reason why she had to work at Chun’s. She just wanted Jiro to know the reason so that he wouldn’t be mad at her. She wanted to make him understand her feelings so that he realized how much she liked him. Selina bit her lips and spun her pen around on the desk. Finally Selina got up from her desk and ran all the way outside.

Pausing in front of Jiro’s company Selina thought to herself for a moment. Whether she should be ashamed coming back or not didn’t matter at the moment. If she wanted to talk to Jiro she couldn’t let any other thought make her turn back around. Selina ran through the doors and hurried up the stairs. Would Jiro be in his office? He wouldn’t be out would he? Selina hurried passed Jiro’s secretary’s desk. His secretary was busy talking on the phone, but he put his hand over the mouth of the phone and pointed to Selina.

“You can’t go in there! Hey you!” he shouted then returned to the phone. “Sorry! I wasn’t talking to you.”

Selina pushed open the door only to find a bunch of businessmen gathered around a table. Jiro glanced up to look at her then quickly turned away as if he were annoyed. Selina opened to say something but a loud cough stopped her.

“What are you doing here?” Jiro’s father questioned.

Selina turned to look at his father.

“I was just…” Selina began.

“We’re having an important meeting right now. You can’t just barge in whenever you want,” Mr. Wang said, “for someone who has already quit her job you aren’t allowed to come back into the company. If you have any personal matters they should be taken care of outside. I hope that I won’t see you coming back here anymore.”

Selina stared back at Mr. Wang then shifted her eyes over to Jiro who refused to turn.

“Are you waiting for security to come get you?” asked Mr. Wang.

Selina turned to look at him and mumbled her apology then turned around to go. As Selina walked out the front doors Selina stared back at the building silently promising herself not to come back. Was it worth it to humiliate herself in front of so many people? But if it was Jiro…Selina just turned her head away from the building.

***

“Is there something going on I don’t know about? Why does she keep coming back here? And every time she comes she always comes to your office!” Mr. Wang shouted at Jiro after the meeting had ended.

Jiro had his head turned away as he looked out the window wondering where Selina had gone. Back to Chun’s? Or somewhere else? Jiro kept his head turned away wondering what his dad wanted him to do because there wasn’t anything he could do. He felt miserable himself and he didn’t feel like listening to his father’s lecture, but to his luck he wouldn’t be able to walk out of the office.

***

Selina hugged her pillow in her arms as she sat on her bed staring out of the window. How come time was passing by so fast? Her heart was racing as if something unexpected would happen. Why was she feeling this? Why did everything feel so insecure? Selina shut her eyes burying her face within the pillow.

After breakfast the next morning Chun hurried upstairs and hurried back downstairs. He was dressed in a nice black suit.

“My mom sent something for you. I placed it on the bed,” Chun told. “You can go get dressed, I’ll wait for you down here.”

Without a word Selina climbed up the stairs making her way into her room. Selina stared down at the box with her name on it. Her heart was rushing and all she could think about was Jiro. All she wanted to do and could only think of was to tell him her feelings again. She wanted to tell him not to be scared anymore. That he shouldn’t always be thinking about Chun. With mixed emotions Selina turned away from the box and headed downstairs where Chun turned abruptly to look at her with a confused expression on his face.

“I have something I want to do,” Selina told Chun as she rushed passed him.

“But…” Chun called after her.

“I’ll be at the banquet on time, I promise!” Selina shouted half turning around.

As the door closed behind her Selina could feel a boost of energy rushing through her legs. Even if she would have to stand all night to wait for Jiro just to listen to her she would do it. Selina felt that desperate to have him understand her at that moment. She ran passed trees, people, cars, buildings, and finally reached Jiro’s house. Selina rushed up the steps and rung the doorbell without stopping once. The maid came to the door with a scornful look on her face.

“Sorry,” Selina apologized and stepped inside the house without waiting to be invited in.

Selina made her way up the stairs hoping Jiro wouldn’t be at work or at any meetings. She opened the door she recalled as Jiro’s office to find him sitting inside. Jiro’s head shot up in surprise. Without waiting for him to speak Selina took a few steps toward him and stopped.

“Listen to me,” Selina said, “I don’t care what you’re thinking right now…I just want you to understand the reason why I’m working with Chun.”

“You don’t need to say anything,” Jiro said turning away. “Chun already told me everything so don’t waste your breath. I’m a little busy right now so if you wouldn’t mind.”

“No!” Selina said loudly.

Jiro’s head shot up toward her again.

“You…I’ve already told you and I’m not afraid to say it a second time,” Selina told. “I like you. I really do. I was afraid at first…but I don’t want to deny it anymore.”

Jiro suddenly turned away.

“I don’t want you to ignore me because of Chun. It’s not the past anymore,” Selina continued, “I’m scared you’ll be angry and ignore me because of Chun…but I know I felt it from you too! When I looked in your eyes…it was there I know it!”

“Stop talking Selina. You’re just creating an illusion for yourself, there was never anything between you and me,” Jiro told.

“I don’t know why you’re so scared to face it. Sometimes I wonder why I get so confused with all this. You’ve been so generous toward Chun…shouldn’t you get some happiness for yourself? Maybe you’ve wronged Chun but I haven’t wronged you. I don’t deserve this from you. I want something true from you, not this.” Selina said.

Jiro slowly let her words sink in.

“If…if you really let it go like this I’m never going to forgive you…and you disappointed me. You’re not the person I thought you were,” Selina told with sadness in her voice.

Selina stared at Jiro a bit more then silently turned away heading out. Selina rushed down the stairs pass the maid and outside. She wanted to scream and shout and kick the ground. She wanted to cry, but tears wouldn’t fall. Selina felt helpless. If Jiro wouldn’t turn around what would she do? Suddenly she didn’t want to stay with Chun anymore. No happiness would come from being with someone you don’t have feelings for. Selina’s feet began to run again. She wanted to tell Chun and make him understand that she couldn’t stay anymore. Whether she would disappoint him and his mother or not she didn’t want to be like Jiro. She didn’t want to torture herself for other’s happiness. It wasn’t moral.