Fifth

Single Portrait

*-*-*-*-*-*-

“Who were you texting?” Ella questioned as she took a seat coming back from the restroom.

Jiro quickly sent his text off to Chun and put his cell phone into his pocket then smiled at Ella happily.

“Oh nothing…” Jiro lied still being cautious as to not blurt out Chun’s name in front of Ella.

The first thing he worried about was keeping Ella in a good mood and avoid making her sad by talking about Chun. He was sure all of them were regretful about what had happened between them, but he figured they wouldn’t be as hurt as Ella. Jiro cleared his throat as the waiter came and set their dishes in front of them.  

“Did you make it home from work last night? I heard there was really bad traffic,” Jiro said trying to start a conversation.

Ella grabbed her knife and started to cut up her steak slowly taking her time.

“I made it home before rush hour,” Ella told. “What about the business?”

“My dad hired some new staff,” Jiro replied looking up pretending to look at his glass of water, but instead kept his eyes on Ella. “We’re about done with training sessions.”

“Training sessions are fun,” Ella said. “If you provide some snacks and coffee in the morning employees will be more happier.”

“Really?” Jiro asked raising an eyebrow. “But that sounds like we’re teaching a bunch of kindergarten kids.”

Ella chuckled, “True, but you don’t know how much adults are still kids at heart.”

Jiro smiled. Ella was in a good mood and he was in a good mood. It all felt good.

*-*-*-*-*-*-

“Grandpa dinner’s ready,” Selina said as she walked into the small tiny living room to find her grandfather watching a television show.

Her grandpa slowly got up and Selina hurried over to help him get to the kitchen table.

“You bought chicken again,” her grandpa remarked as he glanced at the bowl of chicken soup.

Selina smiled, “Because it’s grandpa’s favorite and it’s good for you. Have some rice first.”

Selina first filled her grandfather’s bowl with rice and set it down in front of him then pushed the other dishes closer to him.

“You don’t need to waste so much money on these food. Grandpa will do just fine with noodles,” her grandfather told.

“A person shouldn’t eat noodles all the time,” Selina said, “for grandpa we will have chicken everyday.”

“You should save some money for yourself,” her grandpa insisted.

“I know. I will,” Selina replied. “Grandpa eat a lot.”

“Ok, ok, ok. Lets eat now,” her grandpa said before they began to dig into their food.

*-*-*-*-*-*-

Chun opened the door and walked into his home feeling tired. The soles of his feet were becoming achingly sore. As soon as he plopped onto the sofa and began rubbing his forehead his mom quietly walked down the stairs.

“And where were you all day?” she questioned with a loud voice making Chun jump.

He quickly turned around to look at his mom.

“Don’t scare me like that!” Chun warned.

His mother chuckled playfully and took a seat next to him. Chun frowned at his mother suspiciously as she patted his shoulder.

“Good job Chun,” his mother commented.

“What is it mom?” asked Chun. “You’re scarier than your loud voice.”

“I believe your children will be good looking,” his mother randomly said.

Chun wanted to shout as ‘Oh no’ appeared in his silent mind. He knew where is mother was going.

“Let me explain mom,” Chun told. “You have to listen to me.”

“I know I get it,” his mother replied.

“It was a joke. I called her honey because I was just playing with her. You see the other night she called me honey to get this old man off her back so I was just getting my revenge…” Chun came to a stop when he realized how pathetic that sounded.

His mother smiled at him and the way she smiled scared him. Mrs. Wu got off the couch and began to walk away.

“Bring her over for dinner Monday,” Mrs. Wu called. “You’ll be in trouble if she doesn’t make it.”

Chun’s mouth dropped open. Was it that his mother knew he was just joking and she just wanted to punish him for an unknown reason? Or did she really believe Selina was his girlfriend?

*-*-*-*-*-*-

“You are so dead!!!” Chun screamed over the phone.

Jiro couldn’t stop laughing.

“I agree with your mom,” Jiro told, “your explanation sounds so made up. Who would know if you’re actually dating her or not?”

“If I see you again I’m going to wring your neck,” Chun threatened.

Jiro just laughed again.

“You’re so funny,” Jiro commented. “She’s not bad. Totally a perfect match.”

“You’ve got to be kidding,” Chun accused. “Dude we’re not dating. I don’t even know anything about her except for her background information.”

“Sure whatever,” Jiro told not believing anything Chun was saying.

In fact he believed it was good that Chun now has a girlfriend because it would make it easier for him to court Ella though he realized the fact that Chun was taken would hurt Ella. However, still Jiro would find a way to coax her.

“But since I’m your cousin and your best friend I can help you,” Jiro stated.

*-*-*-*-*-*-

Selina hurried off to work as usual after eating breakfast and preparing a snack for her grandpa. She knew that he hadn’t been feeling well the past few days and to keep her from worrying was lying about it. Selina sighed knowing she had to figure out a way to bring him to a clinic for a checkup. He was the only relative she had left and it’d be horrible if she lost him just like that. Selina got out of her car and hurried toward the elevator.

Selina checked her watch before she took a seat at her desk. She’d made it 5 minutes early. Good enough because it was much better than being late. Selina leaned back in her chair and stared at the ceiling to relax herself. Her thoughts were interrupted when she felt a tap on her shoulder. She turned to see a man holding some binders standing there.

“The boss would like to see you,” he told.

“Oh…ok,” Selina replied as she got up.

As she made her way to Jiro’s office she wondered what he’d want with her. Did she do something wrong? Thinking back Selina figured she hadn’t done anything bad so that couldn’t be the problem. Then what was it? Did he figure he wanted to boot out some useless employees now? No he couldn’t be that mean. Such a good looking guy should be nice right? Selina felt nerve wrecked. She was feeling nervous anticipating what was going to be said to her. It couldn’t be so serious as to lose her job could it? Selina shook her head assuring herself that he just wanted to talk business.

Pausing in front of his door Selina had to make herself take a few deep breaths before she knocked. What would he say?

“Come in,” the voice greeted.

Selina gripped the door knob firmly and twisted it open. Jiro was sitting behind his desk with black rimmed glasses. He was reading some papers. Jiro looked up and smiled as she walked in.

“You can close the door,” he told.

Selina felt her heart jump. What did he actually want to say? He took off his glasses and set them aside. Selina felt her heart pump faster and felt as if suddenly the heat temperature had gone up. He was so stunningly handsome without his glasses. Selina held herself back recalling that he was her boss and such a thing as a relationship between them would be impossible.

Selina shut the door and stopped in front of his desk.

“Good morning,” he greeted. “Did you eat?”

“Yes,” Selina replied wondering if he wanted a longer answer.

“Would you like some coffee?” he asked.

“No thanks,” Selina said reminding herself to stay polite.

She wondered what was with the questions he was asking? Did he want something more or what?

“Work and everything else is going alright? Is everyone treating you ok?” he asked.

What was with the personal questions? It was killing her to find out the reason.

“Yea…” Selina replied, her voice dead flat nervous.

Jiro smiled again making her heart melt. It was something to die for.

“I have a favor to ask of you,” Jiro told.

Selina kept quiet, but thought she’d be willing to do anything he’d ask of her. If he wanted her to play his girlfriend she would definitely do so. Selina bit her tongue realizing that she was crazy as these thoughts bombarded her.

“Sure,” Selina replied trying to keep her cool.

Luckily Jiro didn’t seem to notice the strange thoughts that were running around her mind.

“I have to go for dinner at a friend’s house to talk some business,” Jiro explained, “but something urgent came up and I don’t have time to attend the meeting.”

Selina stared blankly at him. What did he mean? He wanted her to go in his place? Wasn’t that a crazy idea since she was new? She wouldn’t understand anything.

“Would you be ok going in my place?” Jiro asked.

Finding her silence Jiro quickly added, “I just need you to take some notes that’s all. It’d be really helpful if you go.”

“Ok,” Selina immediately answered and yelled at herself silently afterward.

What was she thinking? She wouldn’t be able to do it! She was crazy!

“Thank you!” Jiro said happily and scribbled the address on a piece of paper. “I owe you one. Whatever you want from me I’ll give you.”

Selina stared at the piece of paper he’d handed her feeling lost. She was now sitting back at her desk trying to recall everything he’d said. It was definitely crazy. Something strange that would happen once in a million trillion years. Jiro actually asked her to do him a favor. Did he really trust her enough to send her off to a meeting in his place? Or did he like her? No that was another crazy idea. But wow! He said he’d give her anything she wanted from him! Selina smiled secretly to herself. What would she ask of him? To take her out on a date? Give her a raise? Those sounded selfish. A handsome man should have a girlfriend if Jiro had a girlfriend asking him to take her out would be wrong…but what would be wrong with a boss taking an employee out? But still a guy taking a girl out would look wrong anyhow. Selina shook her head and sighed. Maybe asking for a raise would be better.

*-*-*-*-*-*-

“Don’t worry I’ve made sure she’s coming,” Jiro told spinning in his chair behind his desk.

He was bored out of boredom.

“Everything better turn out alright, if not I’m going to make sure you get it,” Chun threatened over the phone.

Jiro chuckled, “She was so cute. You don’t know how nervous she looked.”

“Maybe she thought you were going to fire her,” Chun told, “I mean with that angry looking face of yours.”

“I don’t fire my staff,” Jiro replied. “Lets go out for lunch later.”

*-*-*-*-*-*-

That whole weekend Selina couldn’t sleep. She felt too nervous about going to a meeting in her boss’ place. However she didn’t find it at all suspicious that he was setting her up.

That Monday Selina woke up at dawn and spent hours finding a perfect outfit. Finding out she was sore out of good outfits she chose the second best looking one. Slipping into the white dress she pulled a soft blue vest over it. It should be ok. Selina nodded at herself in the mirror and headed out.

At work it felt as if the day was dragging on longer and longer. After several hours she was out and quickly on her way to the address Jiro had given her. As she got out of her car she found that the house was a brilliant masterpiece. Big and white with a million windows and probably 4 stories high. A 12 feet tall golden gate stood open. Looking around wondering if it was actually the right house Selina checked the address again and walked up the drive. Why would there be a meeting here?

 The doors were wide and white with huge door knobs. She wondered how anyone could ever live here. Selina looked around for a doorbell and rung it thrice. Finally the door was pulled open from inside and a familiar face poked his head out. Selina’s mouth dropped open as she wondered what in the world was going on.

“What are you…” Selina began, but stopped herself and laughed. “I’m such an idiot.”

Selina turned around going down the stairs and making her way toward the gates. Chun chased after her spinning her around.

“Hey wait,” he told.

Selina slapped his hand away.

“What in the world are you doing here?” Selina questioned.

Chun bit his bottom lip and rubbed the back of his head.

“If I tell you you’re just going to leave,” Chun told.

“Good! Cause I’m leaving even if you don’t tell me!” Selina replied.

As she started off again Chun hurried and stopped in front of her blocking her way.

“Please, please, please!” Chun pleaded. “I’m begging you my mom’s going to kill me if you don’t show up for dinner.”

“Dinner?” Selina asked. “I’m not your girlfriend!”

“I don’t want you to be either…” Chun began.

Selina frowned feeling bad as those words escaped his mouth. She sighed and rubbed her forehead.