Tenth

Single Portrait

“Well because she’s not around anymore,” Selina began.

“Oh I’m sorry,” Chun told thinking Selina meant she’d passed away.

Selina laughed a little, “I can remember that night so clearly that I hate it sometimes. I was helping my mom wash dishes after dinner when there was a knock on the door. Since I’ve never seen my dad it was just mom and me. There were a few men standing by the door and they started to tug my mother. I was just a little 10 year old girl so what could I do? I tried to fight them, but as big as they were they took my mother away. My grandparents found me the next day and took me with them.”

“They took your mother away?” Chun asked. “That’s not right. She should still be alive…have you ever tried searching?”

Selina seemed amazed at how concerned he seemed about the subject.

“I did once…I ran away from home for a few days and gave my grandmother a scare that she ended up in the hospital. After that I promised her I would never look for mom again,” Selina told then smiled. “I’ve never told anyone this before.”

Chun looked at her not knowing what feelings to express on his face.

“I’m sorry to hear that,” Chun apologized. “You must be disappointed about it.”

Selina looked at Chun and found some gentleness in his eyes.

She turned away quickly saying, “Want to go out to buy something to drink? I don’t have anything left in the house.”

Chun waited patiently outside for Selina while she went in to buy some bottles of water. Selina walked around the aisles thinking if she should buy some snacks. Grabbing a bag of chips Selina headed to the counter to find the old geezer already checking out. When she hoped that he would walk straight out he turned around and smiled.

“I saw you!” he remarked.

Selina rolled her eyes and bit her lip as she set her items down on the counter.

The man looked around then moved closer to Selina, “So where’s your boyfriend?”

Selina’s eyes lit up as she handed the cashier her money. She quickly grabbed her bag and rushed out of the store. As promised Chun was waiting patiently with his hands tucked into his jeans pockets. Selina rushed toward him and locked her arms around his arm.

“Honey! You didn’t wait long did you?” Selina questioned.

Chun blinked blankly at her. Selina made a face and gestured toward the old man that had followed her out. Chun surprisingly smiled and took a step forward with Selina standing so close to him he thought he could feel her heart beat.

“That was quick,” Chun replied.

The old geezer frowned at them. Chun coughed loudly as if to clear his throat.

“It’s getting chilly out here. Lets hurry back home or you’ll get sick,” Chun said.

He and Selina started at a fast pace walk and ran all the way to the next block. As they stopped Selina let go of his arm and they started laughing.

“You actually lied to him!” Selina exclaimed.

Chun put his hands on his hips and looked up at the night sky, “So you always run into him?”

“What luck huh?” Selina said.

Chun laughed.

*-*-*-*-*-*-

Selina had gone to work the next day. The only thing on her mind was why had Jiro lied? What reason did he have to tell her that? She felt as if she wanted to be angry, but she couldn’t bring herself to be angry at such a person. However, she still wanted answers.

Throughout the whole day she hadn’t seen or heard of anything about him. He didn’t even invite her to lunch with him. After work Selina took the stairs instead of the elevator that she always enjoyed. Deciding to give herself a break from everything Selina sat down and leaned against the wall to her right. A beep sounded from her cell phone indicating that she’d received a text message. Flipping her cell phone open she read the text message. Smiling she quickly texted Jiro to tell him she was by the stairs and within a millisecond the door to the stairs opened.

“I thought you’ve gone home already,” Jiro said as he closed the door.

Selina stared at him as her mind went blank. So handsome as always. Jiro gave out a loud sigh as he sat down next to her.

“I would have invited you out for lunch today, but I had a meeting,” Jiro told.

“It’s ok. I ate with the other staffs today,” Selina replied.

They sat in silence for a complete two minutes. Just listening to him breathing next to her made Selina feel as if she were the happiest woman on earth. She turned to look at him and the topic came to her mind quickly.

“Hey, why did you tell me your favorite dishes instead of Chun’s?” Selina questioned without thinking.

“Sorry about that,” Jiro apologized. “I was just…in a way angry.”

“Why?” Selina asked.

Jiro was silent for a moment, “Well you remember the situation about me, Chun, and his ex girlfriend I told you about?”

Selina nodded in reply.

“I guess I rushed things and asked her to go out with me again, but as usual I got rejected,” Jiro told. “Maybe you didn’t notice but I was feeling quite down those days.”

Selina felt relieved with the thought that Jiro didn’t have a girlfriend.

“I was angry at Chun you know. I was just wondering if he loved her so much he didn’t have to break up with her just for me. If he didn’t do that then Ella and I wouldn’t be so hurt. I feel bad and sad for having to wait for her all the time. She should feel worse for always being hurt by Chun every now and then,” Jiro told.

“Ella?” Selina repeated then thought back to the girl that had come that other day to Jiro’s office. “Is she that girl that came to your office that night?”

“When?” Jiro asked.

Selina laughed and smiled, “Guess you don’t remember. She’s so gorgeous no wonder Chun would pick her.”

“Why would you say that about Chun? If he chose you to be his girlfriend you must gorgeous too,” Jiro told.

Selina smiled in surprise and half shock that Jiro would say such a thing. She was that pretty nor outgoing. Selina had to look away from Jiro in order to calm herself down.

“Well…Chun and me…we aren’t dating,” Selina said stuttering over a few words.

When she turned to Jiro again without warning or anything he moved forward and kissed her. Selina tried to pull herself back, but only bumped into the wall slightly. Her eyes were wide in surprise and she wasn’t able to shut them the whole time. What was going on? Was he crazy? Or was she crazy?

Selina pushed him away, grabbed her purse, and rushed down the steps. Her body felt as if she was on fire, but it also felt as if she was violated. How could he do that without permission? They weren’t even that close yet, how could he do that? Selina felt more upset than glad. She opened the door to the front doors of the building, but before she could reach the doors someone grabbed her arm spinning her around.

Selina’s long hair spun around her landing with a mess on her shoulders and half sprawled on her face. She found that she was breathing heavily and felt a sort of safe comfort when she looked back at Chun.

*-*-*-*-*-*-

Jiro sat still feeling stunned. He didn’t know why he’d suddenly done that. It was as if a natural force had made him do that. He’d never thought about Selina once. He then recalled the conversation he’d had with Chun once.

“I’ve only seen her three times,” Chun pointed out, “but if she is my girlfriend you better not touch her.”

Jiro shook his head. He believed it was just because of his troubles with Ella that was making him behave that way. He seriously did not want to get into another mess with Chun. At first he was really scared Chun would never talk to him again. If he got involved with Selina would Chun really cut of all ties with him? Jiro shook his head again. That wouldn’t happen. Selina wasn’t as attractive as Ella. Jiro immediately promised himself that he wouldn’t fall for her. Nothing like it would ever happen.

His phone started ringing surprising him. Jiro snapped out of his thoughts and took his cell phone out of his pocket. He was surprised to see that it was Ella calling him.

“I’ve been bored lately do you have time today? If you do lets meet up for dinner,” Ella said without waiting for him to speak.

*-*-*-*-*-*-

Selina sat at a bench as Chun came back handing her a warm drink he had bought. He took a seat next to her with one in his hand as well.

“Did something happen? You looked worn out scared,” Chun told.

“Oh…did I?” Selina asked unaware of it.

Chun smiled and she felt a sort of pleasure from seeing it on his face. Was she already becoming attached to him already? No way.

“So what were you doing there?” Selina asked with much effort to make Chun forget about his questions.

Chun took a sip of his drink before answering, “I was going to meet Jiro, but ran into you.”

As Chun mentioned Jiro’s name Selina felt a sort of shock from it making her feel uncomfortable and at a loss.

“Are you ok?” Chun questioned noticing that Selina had gone silent again.

Selina stared at the ground and tried to even her breathing.

She looked up and smiled trying to laugh at the same time, “Yea…just feeling a bit cold.”

“Oh really?” Chun asked then without hesitating ped his sweater and put it around her.

Selina looked up surprised. Chun smiled warmly.

Selina smiled back, “Thank you.”

*-*-*-*-*-*-

Jiro sat across from a tiring looking Ella.

“Have you been working too much these days?” Jiro asked. “I thought you wouldn’t want to see me again.”

Ella smiled without replying.

“I have something to tell you,” Jiro told.

Ella looked up expectantly.

“I…I already have a girlfriend,” Jiro told.

Ella felt a part of her heart shrink strangely. She did want to patch things up with Jiro, but she didn’t expect him to announce his relationship so fast.

“Sorry for last time,” Jiro apologized, “I needed to clarify some feelings before moving forward.”

Ella stared at Jiro blankly. She felt lost.

Ella brought herself to smile, “She must be a lucky girl. What’s her name?”

Jiro was silent for a moment then said, “Selina.”

He was practically lying to himself and to Ella. He felt bad, but what could he do? Jiro saw that Chun and Ella needed to get back together. In order to not burst out anymore and to end all of the misery this was his only hope.

“Remember that cottage not too far from here? Lets all go out there this weekend and I can introduce you to Selina. Maybe you and Chun can begin to patch up again,” Jiro suggested.

“Sure,” Ella smiled also hoping to be able to get back with Chun.