Thirteenth

Single Portrait

Selina turned to look at Chun. Were they playing tug of war with her? What if they pulled her arms out of its sockets?

“I already kissed her,” Jiro told.

Selina’s eyes went wide and she turned back to look at Jiro.

“No you didn’t,” Chun said refusing to believe.

“I had her before you did,” Jiro told. “You were too unsure at the beginning. You didn’t want to talk to her so I helped you invite her to your house.”

“So as her boss you have the right to harass her?” questioned Chun.

Jiro turned to glare to Chun, “I’m just helping you and Ella get back. You do everything so rashly you didn’t even consider our feelings.”

“Right now this has nothing to do with Ella. Why do you keep bringing her in?” Chun asked. “I’m talking about Selina right now. She’s the present one in my life right now.”

“Stop it! Just stop it!” Selina shouted pulling her both her hands out of their hands. “Shut up!”

They looked at her bewildered. Selina felt angry and that was all she could feel.

“I’m not an object,” Selina told. “Stop using me for such excuses. You two should act your age.”

Ella suddenly came out with the bowl in her hand.

“What’s going on?” Ella questioned. “Why are you guys yelling?”

The three turned to look at Ella without speaking, but there was an obvious feel of tension.

“I’m going for a walk,” Selina said and walked off.

Chun and Jiro stared after her, but before Chun could speak Jiro took his chance.

“You two chat I’ll go after her,” Jiro said and brushed pass Chun.

Ella walked toward the table and set down the bowl of rice. Chun looked away and sat back down unhappily.

“Lets talk,” Ella said.

*-*-*-*-*-*-

Selina hurried down the walk unsure of where she was going. She could hear the footsteps of someone following her, but she just hurried forward hoping whoever it was wouldn’t catch up to her.

“Selina,” Jiro called out. “Can you stop for a moment?”

Selina felt even angrier. Jiro was lying to her. He had always been lying to her. Even this stupid trip was a stupid set up. Selina hurried her pace, but Jiro started running, and grabbed her hand stopping her.

“I’m sorry, ok?” he said.

Selina flung her hand out of his.

“And that’ll make me feel better?” Selina questioned.

“I know it won’t,” Jiro replied.

“You don’t know me at all,” Selina told.

“I know I don’t,” Jiro said.

“Shut up,” Selina snapped. “You set me up with Chun and you set me up with this. Are you making fun of me?”

“No, no,” Jiro quickly replied.

“Is it because Chun and I are getting close you feel uncomfortable about it?” Selina asked unaware of how that question came about.

“No,” Jiro said.

“Everyone believes Chun and I are already a couple. His mother wouldn’t be happy to find out that she’s been lied to,” Selina pointed out unsure of where she was taking the conversation. Why Chun all the time now?

“You like him?” Jiro asked.

Selina stuttered then became silent. Thinking about it hard she realized being around Chun made her more relaxed and everything became enjoyable. However, Jiro was different. He was just there. He was her boss.   

“I broke them up years ago. I just want to get them back together,” Jiro told.

Selina looked at him.

“What will I be to him then?” Selina asked. “I felt good when I was with him.”

Jiro gazed back at her, “I’ll still be around.”

*-*-*-*-*-*-

“Why do you look as if I always force you to stay with me?” Ella asked.

“I don’t,” Chun replied.

“Selina…who is she to you?” Ella questioned.

Chun lightly gritted his teeth showing his jaw bones clench.

“Looking at you…you two seem to share a lot together,” Ella told.

“I’m sorry Ella,” Chun apologized knowing that things would hurt her. “I didn’t know Jiro would do such things today. I’m brain wrecked right now. Drive safely home.”

Chun got up from his chair and walked passed her. Ella refused to turn to watch him go. How many times had he walked passed her? Ella felt tears rise up to her eyes. Why was he always pushing her out of his life? Did she really not matter to him anymore? He had ended the conversation so quick. Ella finally turned with tears running down her face to see just an empty kitchen behind her.

*-*-*-*-*-*-

Selina stared at Jiro wondering if what he’d just said was supposed to comfort her or did he really mean it? Selina quickly turned away feeling lost and uncomfortable. Jiro made a slow move to hold her hand in comfort when a car’s headlights blinded the two of them. They turned to see Chun’s car come to a stop and he got out of the car.

“I’ll take you home,” Chun said looking at Selina and not taking a glance at Jiro.

Selina turned back to look at Jiro as Chun took her arm and led her to his car. Getting into the driver’s seat Chun drove off without a farewell to Jiro.

Selina stared into the side mirror to see Jiro’s figure get smaller and smaller until he disappeared. Selina turned to look at Chun who seemed very concentrated on the dark road ahead.

“Put your seat belt on,” Chun ordered.

Selina did without talking then turned back to look at Chun.

“Is something on my face?” questioned Chun.

“You’re not angry are you?” Selina asked.

Chun’s grip on the steering wheel tightened.

“You’re worried about him?” Chun asked being careful not to speak Jiro’s name because even at the mention of his name Chun felt his blood boil.

“Well…he did it out of good intentions,” Selina pointed out.

“I don’t care. He should have consulted us first,” Chun objected. “I felt like an idiot when he lied to all of our faces. Ella’s even confused.”

“I know,” Selina said sympathizing with him, “he’s just trying to make up for what happened in the past.”

Chun brought the car to a slow stop and turned to Selina.

“The past?” Chun repeated.

Selina caught herself almost feeling afraid. She’d let out a secret Jiro had told her. Would Chun be unhappy to know that she knew everything about them?

“Well…” Selina started. “I know this isn’t my business.”

“It’s ok,” Chun said. “You should know anyway.”

Selina became silent for a bit.

“He’s just doing all this for you,” Selina persuaded, “he wants you to be happy. He feels sorry for what’s happened…he really cares Chun.”

It was the first time she’d called him by his name. He felt an indescribable feeling surge throughout him.

“Ok…if you say so I will,” Chun said.

*-*-*-*-*-*-

Jiro stopped in front of the kitchen as he saw Ella packing up the food and storing them away. Feeling bad for all that had happened he walked over to help her. Ella didn’t stop what she was doing so Jiro stopped instead.

“Ella,” Jiro tried, but Ella didn’t stop.

Jiro put a hand on the back of her shoulder and Ella froze in her spot.

“Sorry. It’s my fault,” Jiro apologized.

Ella turned around and smiled sadly.

“I know you tried hard. It’s just Chun’s way of being himself…he doesn’t want me around,” Ella told.

“Ella…” Jiro tried again.

“I feel tired so I’ll go back first. I’ve already stocked away everything,” Ella said and grabbed her bag then walked through the front door.

Jiro turned around to watch as she left. Everything was ruined of course and it was all his fault. Maybe if he’d just talked to one of them before hand maybe then things would have worked out. One by one they’d walked away from him. What would Selina think of him now? Was his relationship with Chun already ruined? Did Ella hate him? All the questions bombarded him in an instant. He felt like going crazy just because of one stupid thing.