Fourth

Single Portrait

*-*-*-*-*-*-

Jiro’s phone had been ringing for two whole minutes straight. He’d been taking a small nap since he’d gotten home, but because of some call his nap had not been successful for him.

“What is it?” Jiro asked rolling over on his bed as he answered his phone.

He could hear the door slam on the other end of the phone and immediately Chun was already calling him names.

“What?! I was napping!” Jiro exclaimed.

“What could be more important than your napping, you girl?!” Chun said impatiently.

Jiro hung his head over the end of his bed.

“Yea…” Jiro mumbled.

“Your father was in the cafeteria today!” was all Chun said.

“Yea…” Jiro mumbled again.

“So that means he told my mom that I called that girl honey!” Chun exclaimed. “My mom actually believes that I have a girlfriend!”

Jiro sat up and laughed loudly.

“Shut up! It’s all your fault!” Chun shouted through the phone.

“Sure…sure…I didn’t tell you to walk over there and say ‘Hey Honey those oranges were really tasty the other night’,” Jiro laughed.

“That’s not funny,” Chun told, “well whatever. My mom’s coming tomorrow.”

“That’s great!” Jiro said loudly and sarcastically.

He could hear Chun’s irritation on the other line.

“You have to give me all the information about her.” Chun said.

“And…” Jiro went on.

“Give me her background…and…and her name.” Chun said.

“I can’t give out personal information like this to others.” Jiro pointed out.

“Shut up and just do it. Since when have I become an outsider in your world?” Chun asked.

Jiro laughed and got off his bed grabbing a binder off his desk. He flipped to Selina’s picture and started reading her information off to Chun.

*-*-*-*-*-*-

Chun’s mother smiled faintly at Jiro’s father the next day when they met in his office. As they talked about their marketing strategies Chun glanced around the room to find that it hadn’t changed since the past 10 years. Gray white walls plain with no pictures. There was, however, a nice scenery through the large window to the right of the desk. Looking through the window to the other towers kept Chun busy during the mean time.

“Lets go Chun,” his mother said abruptly breaking him out of his thoughts.

Chun turned to see his mother holding the door waiting for him to follow. As the door closed behind them Jiro’s father led them down to the cafeteria. Chun had already expected this to happen. He knew his mom diligently wanted to meet the so called girlfriend. In a normal situation Chun would have wanted to laugh his head off, but this situation was different because his mother was actually serious about it. Chun glanced around hoping that Jiro would be around as he said he’d be. Too bad there was no sign of him. As Jiro’s father and his mother stopped Chun felt his cell phone vibrate in his pocket. He scowled as he read Jiro’s message saying he had gone out for lunch with Ella. What a friend!

“Chun? What are you waiting for?” asked Mrs. Wu.

Chun looked up and stuck his cell phone back into his pocket.

“I’m coming,” Chun told hurrying after them. He was dead meat for sure.

They stopped and waited in line for a bit. As they stopped to check out their food Chun glanced up and as if on cue Selina walked pass him and headed toward her table. Taking out a 50 dollar bill Chun pushed it into the cashier’s hand and rushed after her.

Before Selina could set down her tray Chun grabbed her shoulder with his free hand and shoved her around pushing her toward his mom’s table. Mrs. Wu was smiling as usual toward Mr. Wang continuing their business chat. Her smile faded away slowly as she noticed Chun still standing. She raised her eyebrows lightly.

“Mom, this is Selina Ren,” Chun introduced.

Selina turned around to Chun and threw him a ‘What do you think you’re doing?!’ look. Chun ignored her eyes and smiled nervously at his mother. Mrs. Wu smiled wholeheartedly.

“How pretty!” Mrs. Wu complimented. “Chun usually goes after cheerleaders, but you’re the best looking out of them all.”

Selina wanted to frown, but was unsure if it was appropriate.

“Sit down. There are some chairs here,” Mr. Wang told.

Selina glanced at him immediately recognizing him. She did as told without any questions. The whole time she listened to Mr. Wang and Mrs. Wu chat and joke around. They told her to not be nervous, but how could she not? She felt so tensed sitting with some high class people she’d never even met or known. Chun sat just as quietly chewing slowly on his food. Selina wanted to glare at him and demand a reason from him.

“Do you live with your parents Selina?” asked Mrs. Wu.

Selina snapped out of her trance.

“Oh I…” Selina began.

“She lives with her grandpa,” Chun quickly replied.

“Don’t speak up for her. You’re not Selina are you?” Mrs. Wu snapped at Chun without much roughness in her voice.

Selina glanced at Chun then to his mother. She was still waiting for her to give an answer.

Pressing her lips Selina replied, “I live with my grandpa. He can’t get around himself so I have to care for him.”

“How caring,” Mrs. Wu commented.

“I know Jiro would leave that to the housekeepers,” Mr. Wang joked.

Mrs. Wu chuckled and Selina figured that this woman would always be laughing no matter if she was in a hospital or not.

“How do you like it here so far? Are you understanding your job?” Mr. Wang asked.

“Uh…yes,” Selina replied. “I’ve received a lot of help thanks.”

Mr. Wang smiled and Selina found that his smile was exactly the same as Jiro’s. After a moment more of torture Mr. Wang and Chun’s mother walked out heading back up to his office to talk some more. Chun let out a sigh of relief as he watched the elevator doors close. Selina glanced up at him her hands clasped together in front of her.

“Where did you come from?” Selina questioned.

Chun seemed to jump in his spot forgetting that she was also there.

Selina frowned at him suspiciously, “How did you know about my grandpa? Are you a stalker?”

“How in the world could I ever be a stalker?” questioned Chun.

Selina looked up at him up and down and turned away.

“I thought you already got back at me for the honey thing,” Selina told. “Would you care to explain what that was all about?”

Chun seemed to mumble and moaned quietly.

“My mom thinks you’re my girlfriend. Simple as that,” Chun replied.

“You want me to play as your girlfriend?!” Selina asked turning back to him as if her temper was already fired up.

“Well…no! It just happened to be that way…look I’ll find a way out ok? Anyway I’m in more trouble than you,” Chun told.

Selina couldn’t help, but glare at him. Who did he think he was? Who did he think she was? She wasn’t someone to play with! Selina made an angry face and made mumbled some of her angry thoughts.

“I’m not playing this game with you and I hope we don’t meet ever again!” Selina said and stormed off.

Chun stared at her back confused to as why she was so mad. He didn’t do anything that would hurt her so what was the problem? Shrugging he headed toward the exit promising himself that Jiro would get it for ditching him.