Thirtysecond

Single Portrait

“What are you doing here?” asked Jiro.

Selina opened to speak, but nothing came out. What was wrong with her? She felt numb all over and for a moment she thought she had become dumb.

“Your…your secretary told me to bring this,” Selina told handing Jiro the envelope.

“My secretary? You were at the company again?” Jiro asked without taking the envelope from her.

“Uh…well…I had business there,” Selina replied.

Jiro frowned, “What kind of business?”

Selina bit her lip wondering why Jiro was firing those questions at her.

“Just something someone asked me, here,” Selina told trying to hand him the envelope.

Jiro, however, did not take the envelope from her. He walked passed her and took a seat at the table.

“Do you want something to drink?” asked Jiro.

“D…drink?” Selina repeated raising her eyebrows.

“The maid can get anything for you,” Jiro told.

“I don’t want anything,” Selina replied then placed the envelope in front of Jiro. “Here, I think I should go now. Bye bye.”

Jiro felt his heart pump faster with the fear that Selina would leave and maybe he wouldn’t be able to find her again. Just like yesterday when Selina had disappeared after the meeting.

“Do you want to help me fill out some papers?” Jiro called to Selina. “I mean you don’t have a job right now. I might pay you if you help.”

Selina stopped in her tracks. Spend some time with Jiro? Alone in his office? Selina felt as if she could go crazy at his request. Anyhow, she couldn’t deny the fact that she wanted to be with him even if it wouldn’t be for long.

Selina turned around to look at Jiro, “Ok.”

A second later Selina was sitting next to Jiro with a pen in her hand and a piece of paper with blank lines and boxes sitting in front of her. Jiro who had a thick binder sitting in front of him slightly turned his head to glance at her. It had felt like a long time since he’d had a chance to sit with her. As Selina suddenly turned to take a glance at him Jiro quickly turned away, however, he was caught by Selina.

“What?” Selina asked.

Jiro didn’t respond.

“I heard you haven’t hired anyone to fill in my spot yet,” Selina told, “why not?”

Jiro did not turn to look at her, “Because you might come back. It was fun having you around.”

When Jiro finally looked up their eyes locked. Selina thought she could see somewhere in Jiro’s eyes that he had wanted to say something else, but was afraid of it or either he couldn’t say it. Selina was about to say something when the door opened causing both of them to look at the maid who had come in.

“Your father isn’t coming back tonight, would you like me to set the table or are you going to eat out?” she asked as if she hadn’t noticed anything between Selina and Jiro.

Before answering Jiro and Selina turned to look at each other.

“Would you like dinner?” asked Jiro.

Selina thought for a long time. What about Chun? What would Chun do? Wouldn’t he be angry if he found out? But Chun didn’t need to know.

“Sure,” Selina replied.

***

Chun walked into Selina’s office to find it empty. Her unfinished papers were sitting on her desk with her pen beside it. Chun looked around as if Selina could be hiding anywhere then turned around to walk out. As one of his employees walked passed, Chun grabbed his arm stopping him.

“Did you see where Selina went?” Chun asked.

“Selina?” he asked. “I think she went on an errand a while ago she should be back already.”

“An errand?” repeated Chun. “Where?”

***

Selina walked into the kitchen following Jiro. It was a big kitchen with a large oval shaped table draped with a flower patterned cloth. They sat across from each other and Selina didn’t do anything for a second, but stared at the food.

“Are you going to try it?” Jiro asked.

“It looks good,” Selina complimented before grabbing her spoon to try out the soup.

As the soup landed inside Selina could taste a familiar sense of taste. It would have brought tears to her eyes if she hadn’t recalled that Jiro was there. Selina stared at the soup for a bit then looked up.

“It tastes like my mom’s,” Selina replied. “It really does.”

Jiro stared at her alarmed feeling like Selina would be on the verge of crying.

“Do you want something else?” asked Jiro.

Selina shook her head no.

“I’m surprised your maid made this,” Selina told sounding disappointed.

Her silence made Jiro wonder what he should say to comfort her. It was the first time he had felt unsure about what to say to her.

“Oh yes…I’ve been wondering,” Selina began breaking the silence, “I’ve been in your father’s office once and there’s only a picture of you both. What about your mother?”

“My mother…well my real mother, to be exact, passed away when I was young. Sometime afterward my dad brought in another mom,” Jiro told.

“As in your step mother?” Selina asked.

Jiro shook his head no and Selina thought he looked sad.

“There was no such feeling as love between that mother and my dad. It was just my dad thought I needed motherly love so he brought her in. In fact she was like a nanny and at the same time she felt like a real mother to me,” Jiro explained. “She taught the maid how to cook and she redecorated the house.”

Selina looked around.

“Where is she?” Selina asked.

“She fell ill so we placed her in the hospital,” Jiro replied.

***

Chun sighed as he turned to lean against the window and the next second he turned around to look out the window then he walked to the opposite side of the room. The phone had been pressed against his ear for a long time, but Selina hadn’t picked up. Chun sighed wondering where Selina could be. What if something happened to her? Chun sighed frustrated and unsure of what to do.

***

After washing her hands in the bathroom Selina walked out and wondered if Jiro was still in the kitchen. As she walked in she saw the maid cleaning the table and put the dishes into the sink. However, Selina did not turn around to walk up the stairs, but instead walked toward the kitchen and watched the maid. The maid who had been wiping the table stopped and looked up at Selina.

“Is there something I can help you with?” she asked.

Selina smiled unhesitant, “I was just wondering would you like some help?”

Before the maid could answer Selina had already walked in and grabbed the wet sponge and started to clear off the dishes.

“Miss I can do that,” the maid told walking over to Selina and tried to get her to stop, “the master does not allow guests to clean.”

“You working on these alone must be tiring,” Selina told. “Let me help, just for tonight.”

“But…” the maid insisted, “if the master finds out then I’ll get in trouble.”

“It’ll be alright,” Selina replied as she the faucet.

“What are you doing?” a strong low voice asked from behind.

Selina turned around curious as to who was speaking. Immediately she recognized Jiro’s father.

“Good evening sir,” Selina greeted.

Jiro’s father looked from the maid to Selina.

“Who are you?” he asked.

Selina could feel nervousness building up within her.

“I used to work for your company,” Selina replied.

“Then what are you doing here?” he asked with a slight narrow glare that never left Selina’s face.

“I just brought over some documents from the office. I’m sorry to bother you sir. I’ll take my leave now,” Selina said politely and walked out.

As soon as she had stepped outside of Jiro’s house Selina finally realized that she had been in too much of a rush that she had forgotten her bag and her phone. Selina made a face and turned back to look at the house. Pressing her lips together she decided she’d return tomorrow to retrieve her belongings.

***

“Get me something to eat,” Mr. Wang ordered.

The maid nodded and grabbed an empty bowl filling it up with soup. Along with a bowl of rice she placed them in front of Jiro’s father. Before the maid left the kitchen Mr. Wang spoke.

“Who was she?” asked Mr. Wang.

“She brought documents from the office and she also seems like a good friend of the young master’s,” the maid replied.

Mr. Wang nodded, “You can go now.”

He frowned to himself finding that Selina almost looked familiar.

The maid walked passed the stairs then stopped. She pushed open the door to Jiro’s office to find that he was sitting inside reading his documents.

“Sorry to bother you,” the maid apologized, “I just wanted to tell you that your father is home.”

“What about Selina?” asked Jiro. “Did you see her?”

“She’s gone home,” the maid replied.

“Oh…” was Jiro’s answer. “Alright.”

As the door closed Jiro found himself staring blankly at the wall straight ahead of him. The time with Selina had ended too fast. When would he get to eat with her again? When will the next time be? Jiro turned and almost turned away when he noticed Selina’s bag sitting on her chair. Did Selina have money on her? Could she get a ride back? Or would she have to walk to Chun’s? With those sudden thoughts Jiro sprang from his chair and bolted out the front door without thinking. Jiro ran down the streets searching from one block to another, but didn’t find Selina anywhere. He looked around for a bit more, but when he couldn’t find her he came to the conclusion that maybe Selina had already gotten back.

When Jiro closed the door after him his father looked up from his newspaper.

“And where have you been?” asked Mr. Wang. “You weren’t sending your friend out were you?”

“What are you saying?” asked Jiro.

“Nevermind then,” Mr. Wang replied.

Without glancing at his father Jiro headed up the stairs.

***

Selina climbed up the stairs to Chun’s house slowly. Would Chun be in yet? It wasn’t that dark and it wasn’t that light outside. Would Chun still be cooped up at work? Selina was about to get her keys, but then remembered that they were in her purse. Making a face Selina glanced around as if hoping for a maid to come save her. Selina turned back to face the door and stared at the doorbell debating whether or not to push the button. As she had no choice Selina quickly pushed the button and threw her hand back to her side. She waited a while and no one came. Frowning Selina rung the doorbell again and again. Running down the stairs Selina looked in the windows to see that it was empty inside. Sighing as she came to the conclusion that he wasn’t home yet Selina turned around to walk away when the door suddenly opened.

“Where are you going?” asked Chun from afar.

Selina turned around and stared at Chun. So he was in after all. Selina slowly headed back up the stairs and walked inside.

“Where were you?” Chun asked as he watched Selina take her shoes off.

“I went out for some air,” Selina replied.

Chun stared at her as he realized that Selina had just lied to him.

“Did you eat yet?” Chun asked beginning to turn away. “I bought some take out.”

As Chun began to walk away Selina replied, “I don’t feel that hungry yet. Why don’t you go ahead and eat without me.”

After telling him that Selina headed up the stairs in a jog. Chun turned to watch her disappear at the top of the stairs. Chun walked into the kitchen and stared at the bag of food sitting on the table. He grabbed it and tossed it into the garbage then sat down at the table.

Selina had lied to him afterall. When was she finally going to decide to tell him the truth? Chun turned to look back as if Selina would be standing there, but no one was there.

***

The next day when Jiro had finally found some time for himself, just right before lunch, he grabbed Selina’s purse and headed out of the building. He’d figured that Selina would obviously need her bag back as soon as possible and instead of waiting for her to come back to retrieve it he decided it’d be easier to return it to her. Jiro got in his car and drove down the streets of Taipei. Soon enough he’d already drove into the parking lot of Chun’s company.

***

Selina couldn’t help, but stare at her clock the whole morning. She had been worried about the time when she would go back to get her bag. What if Chun had suddenly come and took her to lunch? What would she do then? She desperately needed her bag, especially because her phone was in there. Five minutes before her lunch break Selina snuck out of her office and hurried down the stairs.

***

Chun had just rounded the corner heading to Selina’s office, but came to a stop as he watched Selina hurry out of her office. He almost hurried to catch up to her until he noticed that Selina had opened the door to the stairs. Frowning at where Selina was going Chun followed.

***

Just as Jiro climbed onto the cement that led to Chun’s building Selina ran out of the front doors. They seemed to freeze as soon as they saw each other. Selina’s face broke into a smile as she hurried toward Jiro.

“You left this last night,” Jiro told handing Selina her bag.

“Thanks,” Selina replied.

They were silent for a while debating whether to ask each other if they wanted to go to lunch.

“Would you like to grab lunch?” Selina asked first.

Jiro smiled then quickly recalled Chun. Shouldn’t he be feeling guilty that he was taking this time with Selina? Wouldn’t this be called being a bad friend?

Selina watched as Jiro’s smile disappeared.

“How about another time?” asked Jiro. “I’m in a hurry back.”

“Oh…” Selina sounded disappointed then forced a smile. “Then next time will do.”

Jiro nodded and turned around heading toward his car.

***

Chun opened the door and it shut behind him to find himself standing in the lobby of the first floor. He looked around and spotted Selina running outside. Chun chased after her and stopped in the middle of the lobby as he recognized Jiro standing outside. As he watched Jiro hand Selina her bag Chun could feel anger building up within him. He could only stand there and watch them. When Selina turned around to come back in Chun hurried off to stand with a crowd of people near the wall. As Selina passed by Chun turned around to watch her go into the elevator with a smile plastered onto her face.

When he returned to his office he could only find his mind running over what could have happened yesterday. Was that why Selina did not answer her phone? Because she had been with Jiro the whole time as he thought? But Chun had at least tried to believe that Selina wouldn’t have done such a thing. Chun glanced out the window with a glare.

On the ride back home Chun could on go over in his head what he would say to Selina. He didn’t want her to see Jiro anymore even if he didn’t want to hurt her feelings, but weren’t they a couple now? Shouldn’t that give Chun at least some rights to tell her what she should do and what she shouldn’t?

Silence built up between them in the car and Selina found it sort of strange and awkward. Chun would always speak about work or what to eat on the ride back. Selina turned to glance at him, but his eyes remained on the road. Was he angry? But at what?

Chun finally stopped his car and he got out first closing the door harshly after him. Selina curiously looked at him as she got out of the car. She followed him into his house and closed the door after her. Moments of silence followed as Chun set his things on the table. Selina could only find herself watching him from afar. Chun finally stopped what he was doing and stood still as if frozen.

“Are you going to say it?” Chun asked.

Selina stared at him.

“Are you going to tell me the truth or are you going to keep lying?” asked Chun.