Twentythird

Single Portrait

*-*-*-*-*-*-

Selina opened the door to find the dim lights on. Selina found Chun sitting on the couch his back was to her. Selina tip toed over and let out a scream as she held Chun in a choking position. He jumped and opened his eyes. As he turned to look at her their eyes met for a second and Selina let him go.

“Sorry,” she apologized.

Chun rubbed his eyes, “I have something to talk to you about. Come sit here.”

Selina made her way around the couch and sat next to him.

“What is it?” Selina questioned.

“I didn’t want to suggest it at first, but now it seems like a good time,” Chun said not giving anything away.

Selina was lost at what he was talking about. Noticing her stare Chun went on.

“Would you like to look for your mom now?” Chun questioned. “You’ve tried before, but you couldn’t get her because of your grandparents…but since they’re not here anymore would you like to try searching for her again?”

Selina turned away slightly feeling overwhelmed. Thoughts raced across her mind. She’d wanted to so much to look for her mom, she’d promised her grandma not to search anymore, but what about now? She really wanted to see her mom again. Whatever it took she’d do anything to see her again. That’s what she decided on in 10 seconds.

Selina turned to Chun and nodded, “Yes I want to see her again. But how?”

Chun smiled, “I’ve met with a private investigator, a friend of my mom’s. I already talked to him about your situation. He said it’s a pretty unique mystery but if he can dig up some information then we’ll be getting a step closer to your reunion.”

Selina turned away and smiled blinking back tears.

“I really don’t want to put my hopes up…but I feel so happy for this chance,” Selina told then turned and hugged Chu, “thanks!”

Chun gently leaned his chin on her shoulder. He just wanted her by his side. He knew Selina had plenty of things she hadn’t accomplished yet and he’d like to do them for her. Yet he didn’t know he was just bringing himself trouble, trouble that would make his life miserable in the upcoming years.

*-*-*-*-*-*-

Selina woke up at noon and grabbed a quick sandwich before going to work. She was anticipating her meet with Jiro. She felt excited to tell him that she might be able to find her mom in the future. Selina was sure that Jiro would be glad for her.

As she thought she found Jiro in the cafeteria eating his lunch. Selina hurried over and sat by him. A big smile plastered onto her face.

“You don’t look a least bit tired,” he commented.

Selina smiled, “I want to tell you something.”

“What is it?” Jiro asked adjusting himself in his chair.

Selina leaned closer, “I might be able to find my mom.”

Jiro raised his eyebrows, “That’s great!”

“I know!” Selina said clutching her hands to resist punching into the air and looking like a weirdo.

Selina instead reached forward and clutched onto Jiro’s hand.

“I’m so happy!” she exclaimed.

Jiro smiled feeling the excitement that was flowing through Selina. He glanced down at Selina and placed his other hand on top of hers. Selina’s bit smile turned into a small one as she slowly slide her hands out of his. She looked shyly away making Jiro feel disappointed.

Selina stared at the cars driving by asking herself what was she thinking? She felt her body temperature rise. Was she sweating? Selina clasped her fingers and unclasped them. They sat in awkward silence.

“I should…” they both said as they turned toward each other then caught themselves in the middle of their sentence.

They looked at each other for a split second then laughed.

“I was going to say I should head up now,” Jiro told.

Selina nodded and smiled, “Me too.”

Jiro hesitated as if he was unsure then got up to put his tray away and headed for the stairs. Selina followed him then stopped by the door to the stairs. Should she follow him up? She immediately recalled when he kissed her and felt herself go red.

“What’s wrong?” Jiro asked. “Are you going to take the elevator?”

Selina turned toward the elevator shyly.

“I think so,” Selina told.

“I’ll meet you up there then,” he said and headed up the stairs.

Selina watched as his feet disappeared and the door closed then headed to the elevator.

Strangely she wished his presence was with her as she felt the elevator move up.

As Selina headed down the hallway toward the office she stopped when she recognized Chun’s mother standing by the entrance. Selina felt as if she wanted to turn around and ignore her, but Mrs. Wu had noticed her already.

“Selina,” she exclaimed happily. “I’m so glad I could catch you.”

Selina smiled and walked toward her slowly.

“What are you doing here?” Selina asked in a calm tone.

“I’m flying out of Taiwan for a few weeks,” she told then winked, “the house is all yours and Chun’s.”

“Where are you going?” Selina questioned.

“Something urgent came up in the states,” Mrs. Wu explained not going further, “I’ll be gone for a few weeks. Take care of yourself and Chun alright?”

*-*-*-*-*-*-

Of course Jiro had gotten up the stairs faster. Maybe it was just coincidental that he’d run into Chun’s mother and received another warning again. She’d cautiously reminded him of his promise to stay away from Selina. He was now sitting in his chair moving back and forth. Chun’s mother would be out of town and he knew that she was glad to leave Selina and Chun alone together in the house. Jiro didn’t want to worry about any of those thoughts, but something was itching at him. Something was telling him not to leave those two alone or maybe his jealousy was taking over? Jiro ran his hands over his face feeling yet frustrated.