Sixteenth

Single Portrait

*-*-*-*-*-*-

Chun stopped his car in front of his mansion and hurried to the back door to carry Selina out. It’d been hours since they’d admitted her grandfather into the hospital. He’d helped choose a casket and had already arranged everything else for him for Selina. She been crying so much she’d lost her voice and mentally broken down. Worn out she had drifted off into a slumber. Lifting her into his arms Chun closed the door by kicking it and hurried up the steps.

Chun walked up the stairs and opened the door to one of the empty guest rooms. He laid Selina down onto the bed and watched her for a minute. Her face wasn’t yet dry of her tears and what surprised him was her tears were still making their way out. Using his thumb he dried her cheek. Selina to her side with her hair flailed out behind her. Chun found her so beautiful he didn’t want to let his eyes wander away.

“Don’t go…” Selina muttered as she gripped onto the bed sheet, but missed and clutched Chun’s hand instead.

“It’s ok,” Chun said calmly her hair.

“What’s going on?” a voice boomed behind him.

Chun turned quickly to see his mother standing by the door.

“Shh!” Chun hushed with a finger to his lips.

His mother frowned at him and Chun had no choice, but to leave Selina for the mean time. Closing the door behind him he turned to face his mother’s yet angry face.

“Why did you leave like that?! Did you know how disrespectful that was?” Mrs. Wu asked. “And you asked me to take over?!”

“Sorry mom,” Chun apologized. “But something really serious came up.”

“And who’s that? You’re bringing girls into the house now even when you have a girlfriend?! What’ll Selina say about this!” his mother shouted.

“Shh!” Chun hushed her again as he put both his hands on her shoulders. “Selina’s grandfather passed away…”

His mother became stunned. Silence filled the air for a moment.

“Poor girl,” Mrs. Wu said. “What should we do? She only has her grandpa…”

Chun looked at his mom feeling troubled.

“I know,” Mrs. Wu said putting her finger into the air. “Why don’t you suggest for her to move in with us? She can stay here for the mean time.”

“Mom! It’s not the time to kid around,” Chun told.

His mother’s hand flapped against her side, “I’m not joking. If she’s your girlfriend then it’s alright with me. She has no where to go for now and how can you let a girl like her live alone? It’s not safe I’ve heard scary stories regarding girls living alone.”

Chun immediately thought of the old geezer that was always following Selina around.

“I don’t know.” Chun said.

“I’ll talk to her,” Mrs. Wu offered as she put a hand on Chun’s shoulder. “Watch her for now until she wakes up.”

With that his mother headed down the stairs.

*-*-*-*-*-*-

Jiro had gone down to the cafeteria for lunch the next day. He’d waited for three hours for Selina at the night market, but she had never arrived. He’d called her more than twenty times, but she never picked up. To his surprise she hadn’t come to work either. Did something bad happen to her? He hoped not. As he sighted a person who was in the same department Jiro quickly stopped him. 

“Can I ask you if Selina has called in this morning?” Jiro questioned.

The man shook his head, “I don’t think so.”

“Oh…” Jiro’s head dropped as the man walked away.

“Oh, but I think someone called in for her,” the man said stopping and turned around.

Jiro quickly turned around feeling hope.

“Really?” Jiro asked.

Jiro sat at his desk with piles of binders, papers, and his pen lying in front of him. He couldn’t concentrate on work yet though he knew that he should have pushed away personal matters. Why was Chun with Selina? Had he been with her since yesterday? Did he have a date with Selina yesterday? How could she be with Chun when she was supposed to be with him? Jiro ruffled his hair. He needed a reason and he felt that he needed one fast.

“Hello?” it was Chun on the other side of line.

“What are you doing today?” Jiro started off.

“Nothing. I have a short meeting later,” Chun said.

Jiro figured this was the right timing to ask about Selina, “Do you know where Selina is? We were supposed to meet yesterday…”

“Why were you supposed to meet yesterday?” questioned Chun sounding protective.

“Is something wrong with that?” Jiro asked.

Chun paused with a moment of silence.

“Something happened yesterday,” Chun switched the subject. “That’s all. Why are you worried?”

Jiro stuttered at first then partially lied, “She’s an employee of mine so when I didn’t see her check in I was just wondering where she was.”

“If that’s all then I’m hanging up now,” Chun told.

“Wait!” Jiro sort of shouted. “I…I’ve got some papers for your mother. I’m going to bring them over later.”

“Sure,” Chun said then hung up.

Jiro smiled to himself as he hung up and with that he checked out of work early.

*-*-*-*-*-*-

Selina woke up in the middle of the afternoon with her head feeling dizzy. Her sight was blurred at first and then straightened out. She said up with majority of her hair falling to her right. She glanced around the unrecognizable room as she sat up. Getting up from the bed she opened the door and looked down the hallway. Where was she? Where was her grandpa? Selina wanted to see him so badly. She wanted to assure herself that it was just a bad dream she’d had.

Halfway down the stairs she paused recognizing the place. What was she doing at Chun’s? Selina hurried down the stairs and started at a run through the empty place for the front doors. Without thinking of twisting the doorknob Selina just pulled and pushed the door. Her mind ran through undefined mazes and she couldn’t find a way out. Panicking tears reached her eyes and spilled out. She wanted her grandpa. Someone…just someone to take her back home. Selina was about to scream when the door opened and the doorknob fell out of her grip.

Jiro stared down at Selina feeling lost and bewildered. All that ran through his mind was relief that he’d seen her at last.

Selina felt like collapsing to the ground and just dying, but she kept still.

“What…what’s wrong?” Jiro asked reaching forward to hold her, but hesitated, and stopped. 

Selina felt her teeth chatter as more tears spilled out from her eyes. She felt so lost, so lonely, so inferior to the whole world, who would care for her now? Her grandpa wouldn’t be able to hug and comfort her anymore. Who would cheer her up when she was sad? Who would be there for her to take care of? Selina felt so sad.

Jiro dried her wet cheek with his thumb. Feeling such emptiness Selina tip toed and threw her arms around his neck hugging him tightly. He could feel his hear make a big leap as she threw herself against him. Jiro let himself sink into her hug and shyly put his arms around her. He could feel his shoulder become wet a few minutes later. Just as he was about to speak he could make out light footsteps and Chun’s mother stopped a few feet in front of him. She had a strict yet warm grin on her face.