Thirthyfifth

Single Portrait

***

Chun paced back and forth in the living room. When would Selina be back? Where had she suddenly run off to? What kind of urgent business would it be? Why was she suddenly taking the last minute before the banquet to run off somewhere? Chun nervously stared at the clock. Suddenly the ringing of his phone stopped him.

“Yes mother?” Chun asked.

“Are you here yet?” she asked.

“I’m still waiting for Selina,” Chun told. “She went somewhere.”

“But she’ll come won’t she?” asked Mrs. Wu.

“I’m sure she will,” Chun replied.

“Then don’t worry about her and come here first. There are friends I want you to meet,” Mrs. Wu told.

Chun pressed his lips together before answering, “Yes.”

***

So Selina really did like him. She wouldn’t have run all the way there for nothing. Feeling guilty Jiro got up from his seat to chase after Selina only to find that there was no trace of her. Hurrying back into the house Jiro found his maid.

“Get the car ready,” Jiro ordered.

***

Selina paused in front of the company with her non stop racing heart. Selina wanted to stop everything and get out of the mess. She wanted to fix everything and free herself from the burden she was feeling. Pushing the doors open Selina hurried inside the banquet hall. Men and women were all dressed formally and elegantly. Dresses, fur coats, hemmed suits, draped tables, champagne, a table full of every kind of refreshments and everything else that wouldn’t be missing from a banquet held by a top business. People stared at her as she passed, but it didn’t matter. She just came for one reason and after she got it over with she’d never see them again.

Glancing through the crowd Selina could not find Chun. Everyone was so tall and they blocked her way. It made it hard to spot Chun’s familiar figure. Finally by the end of the room Selina spotted Chun drinking a glass of water slowly with some other people. Selina hurried over.

“Chun!” Selina said grabbing onto his arm.

Chun frowned at Selina, “Why aren’t you wearing…”

“I have to talk to you. Please it’s urgent,” Selina said with pleading eyes.

Chun excused himself from his friends, but as they reached the middle of the room they could hear Chun’s mother’s voice up on the stage thanking the people who had attended the banquet.

“I’m so glad to be able to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the opening of our company with you today,” Mrs. Wu went on, “even if my husband isn’t here to share this happiness with me I’m glad to be able to share it with all of you. All the hard work from the employees and managers and my son.”

Without noticing Jiro and Ella had walked into the banquet hall together. Jiro glanced everywhere for any sign of Selina, but wasn’t able to spot her.

“Chun? Where are you?” Mrs. Wu asked.

Chun looked at Selina and nodded toward her then hurried up to the stage.

“Selina? Where are you? Please come up on stage,” Mrs. Wu said.

Selina felt as if her feet were glued to the ground. She couldn’t and didn’t want to move. If she knew such a thing were to happen she would have dressed better. Selina and Chun stared at each other for a second. People turned to stare at Selina and figuring she had no choice, but to go up. Selina slowly made her way upstage and looked at Chun’s smiling mom who didn’t seem to mind her attire.

“Go stand by Chun,” she whispered.

Looking at Chun’s mom with apologetic eyes Selina had no choice but to obey. She felt powerless with h is mother around. Suddenly Selina began to wonder how could she hurt such a nice woman? She had accepted her gladly from the beginning and even offered to let her stay at her house. Selina bit her lip as she glanced at Mrs. Wu who continued her speech. How would she be able to help herself this time?

“And another piece of good news I would like to share with you all.” Mrs. Wu said turning to look at Chun and Selina who turned to look at her. “I would like to announce the engagement between Chun and his girlfriend Selina Ren.”

The crowd burst into applause, but Selina’s eyes fluttered widely. She stared out into the crowd and turned to look at Chun. Engagement? Since when?

Although, he felt guilty for not telling her about any of it Chun also felt as if it was a good chance to bind Selina into his life. Chun stared back at Selina trying to mutter the words sorry but failed. Before Selina could turn away Chun put his hands around Selina’s face and gave her a kiss.

Jiro could feel an emotion of shock fly through him. Anger, disappointment, and fear flashed through him as he watched Chun kiss Selina onstage. He couldn’t believe what he was seeing. Did Selina know about it? Was that why she had been so anxious to tell him about her feelings? Was that why Selina had been so desperate to get him to confess to her as well? Was he finally losing his opportunity this time?

Ella’s eyes became wide with surprise as she watched Chun onstage. Engagement? Selina and Chun? How could that be possible? Ella wanted to turn and shout at the people who were clapping nearby, but couldn’t bring herself to.   

When Chun finally released Selina she stared painfully back at him. She almost turned to run off the stage, but Chun grabbed her wrist stopping her.

“It wouldn’t look good for my mom if you run off now,” Chun advised. “You can talk it out at home.”

Selina could just feel anger form within her. Why did it have to happen then? What would she do now? When would she finally be free of these non stop problems? Selina stared up ahead and finally saw Jiro standing within the crowd. She stared at him for a bit feeling angry with him then turned her gaze away. Suddenly she felt as if she didn’t care anymore. However much she fought things always turned out wrong. Selina wanted to give up and kneel down then suddenly felt overwhelmed. Selina turned her head away from Chun and stared at the ground.

***

As Chun’s mother continued her speech on stage Ella had turned around making her way out of the banquet hall. How could she face Selina? How could this happen? How could the engagement be announced? Since when? Why didn’t Ella know? Ella felt like going crazy. Three years of waiting for Chun…turned into this? Without knowing Ella let out a loud scream and dropped to the ground with her arms around her legs.

***

Jiro didn’t notice that Ella had left. He could only keep his eyes on Selina. When would the banquet finally end? It was taking forever. Hours passed and lunch was served. Jiro’s eyes followed wherever Selina went with Chun. The thought of seeing Selina with Chun and out of his grasp were unbearable. Why didn’t he do anything sooner? Why had he been so scared? Why? Why? Why? The fear suddenly became bigger and bigger and he didn’t want to leave the banquet. What if something were to happen to Selina? Why was he being so stupid? He even felt annoyed with himself.

“Jiro?” Jiro turned to see his aunt, Chun’s mother, coming his way.  

Jiro nodded toward her reluctantly turning away from Selina.

“It’s nice to see you here. Your father didn’t come?” Mrs. Wu asked.

Jiro shook his head, “He had something to attend to.”

“I see. Well thank you for coming. Enjoy yourself ok?” Mrs. Wu said.

Jiro nodded his head and watched as she walked off. How much longer until the banquet would end? He suddenly didn’t feel like watching Selina follow Chun wherever anymore.

***

Selina had made sure to keep her eyes away from Jiro. Feeling as disappointed as she was she only wished that he would go away, go back home or something. She could care less about who Chun was introducing her to. It wasn’t like she would meet them again. Selina turned back to the businesswomen and men and smiled politely shaking their extended hands. She felt tired. She wanted to run and leave. However, from the corner of her eyes she could see Chun’s mother proudly parading the hall. Selina felt lost within herself. How come at first she felt as if she was able to escape from all this without caring about anyone, but when she saw Chun’s mother again she became scared? Selina turned back to look up at Chun. How come he chose not to understand her this time around? Why was it that he confused her so much? At certain times it felt as if he were on her side and at other times it felt as if he could have cared less about her feelings. Selina bit her lip hating how everything felt so unfair.

When Chun’s mother re stage to thank everyone for coming the banquet hall finally began to clear out. Chun’s mother came down the stage slowly and headed toward them.

“Why don’t you go wait in the car first? I’ll be there shortly,” Mrs. Wu said.

“Ok mom,” Chun replied and put his arm around Selina leading her toward the door.

Selina turned her face away as they passed Jiro who was still standing within the banquet hall.

“See you later Jiro,” she heard Chun call out to him.

What would Jiro be feeling? Would he even be feeling anything? Would he be mad at her or disappointed?

When they returned to the house Mrs. Wu turned to Chun and Selina gently. She looked tired, pale, and worn out from the company banquet.

“I’m going to go upstairs first. You two enjoy yourselves down here,” she told.

Selina smiled at her and watched as she went up the stairs. When Selina was sure she heard a door close Selina turned around so that her back was to the stairs. She looked up at Chun.

“Don’t tell me you knew about it,” Selina said feeling her anger run around inside her.

“Sorry Selina,” Chun apologized. “But I had a reason for not telling you.”

“Because you were scared I’d run off?” Selina intimidated angrily. “Why do you have to do this to me!”

“None of it was intentional…my mom wanted to surprise you. Can’t you understand that?” asked Chun.

Selina bit her bottom lip, “Yes I understand that, but why couldn’t you have told me anything instead of treating me like an idiot. You lied to me!”

“It isn’t like you’ve lied to me before,” Chun twisted her words around. “Do you think I’ve been that angry with you for nothing? You don’t understand me and I don’t understand you…”

“Correct! That’s why I want to leave! There’s no feeling here anymore,” Selina told. “If we didn’t lie to your mother in the first place we wouldn’t be here arguing like this!”

“What lie?” Mrs. Wu’s voice came from behind.

Selina spun around to see the woman standing on the stairs and immediately felt like slapping her own mouth. Why hadn’t she been more careful?

Chun’s mother came down the stairs and stared at the both of them.

“I was wondering what all the shouting was about,” she said then turned to look at Chun. “Go upstairs Selina.”

Selina stared at Chun’s mother and went upstairs feeling remorseful. After closing the door behind her Selina walked over the window angrily. She shut her eyes painfully. She hated everything. She wanted to run away to somewhere far where she would know no one and where no one would know her.

“Good job Selina. You’ve yelled at Chun and got yourself in trouble.” Selina told herself.

***

Mrs. Wu turned to look up the stairs making sure Selina had gone then she turned around to look at the injured Chun.

“So tell me. What lie?” she crossed her arms waiting for Chun to answer.

Chun finally turned to face his mother, “None of it was intentional.”

“That’s not what I’m asking for,” she told.

Chun pursed his lips before going on, “Selina and I…had nothing to do with each other. We were mere strangers.”

“Strangers?” his mother repeated.

Chun nodded, “I tried to tell you, but you kept insisting so I had no choice, but to get Selina to play along.”

“So you lied to me,” Mrs. Wu said stating the only fact that mattered.

“I tried telling you it was only a joke at first, but you wouldn’t believe me,” Chun told. “She was working for Jiro during that time so I begged him to give me her information to satisfy you wanting me to date.”

“Is that why Jiro had always been tied to this?” asked Chun’s mother.

“Selina wants to cancel the engagement,” Chun told avoiding his mother’s question.

“The engagement? How can I do that! I just leaked out the information to the public! I can’t go back on my words!” Mrs. Wu told. “You can’t just carry out your foolish games to this extent.”

“We’re not playing games. Selina wants to leave…she wanted to break up before you came back. I think Selina’s already losing her feelings for me,” Chun told.

Mrs. Wu looked around the room as if looking for a way out of the trapped room.

“What about you? As a mother I have to care about my son too,” she said as her eyes landed on Chun.

Chun stared at the ground for a long time digging within himself.

“I don’t want to hurt her…but I like her mom. To the point where I think I love her,” Chun said turning to look at his mom.

Mrs. Wu heaved a sigh, “Alright. If that’s how it is.”

“Mom you can’t just kick Selina out of our house,” Chun said jumping to conclusions as he grabbed his mother’s arm to turn her around. “Selina has no place to go.”

“Do you think I’m an idiot?” asked Mrs. Wu. “I like her too, but I have to make this fair…for all of us. I don’t want our house to become a base for fighting.”

Chun let go of his mother’s arm and watched her go up the stairs. He felt nervous and anxious at the same time. He wasn’t sure of what was going through his mother’s head. Would she force Selina to leave? Or would she ask Selina to stay for his sake?

***

Selina turned around as the door opened. When she first saw Chun’s mother come in through the door she felt nervous. How would she be able to face this woman? Mrs. Wu smiled as she walked toward Selina.

“It’s ok,” she said.

Selina looked at her curiously lost.

“I want to know your feelings for Chun. Can you be honest with me?” she asked.

Looking into her eyes Selina could sense the love the woman had for her son. At that moment Selina also wished she also had a mother’s love. A love that was bigger than the world, a mother that would always be behind her back. Selina quickly pushed her thoughts away.

“I…” Selina slowly started. “I thought I liked Chun at first…but I found out those were feelings I created for myself because I was afraid I would have no one.”

Mrs. Wu put her hand on Selina’s shoulder gently.

“Ok.” She said. “Whatever you want to do, whether you want to leave this house or not please remember that this house is also your second home. I respect your decision Selina.”

Selina felt touched by her words. Selina felt as if she wanted to cry, but could only utter a smile. Mrs. Wu smiled back and gently hugged Selina.

***

Ella sat alone on the bench under two tall trees. She had spent hours thinking about possibilities. These three years…how much people can change themselves. Chun had changed, Jiro had changed, yet only Ella seemed to stand still within the time zone. It was hard to accept the fact that Chun had really given her up for Jiro. However, her heart didn’t resemble Jiro and she couldn’t hold him. If Chun really loved her then…would he have given her up? If he had given her up for Jiro it also meant that he really cared for Jiro. Even their friendship that lasted for so long conquered Chun’s love for her. Ella gulped back her tears. She wanted an answer. If Chun had only said something…if he had only told her he didn’t need her anymore she would have moved on. But no, Chun didn’t even look at her once he had broke up with her for no reason. Ella glanced down at her phone flipping it open.

“Can we meet?” Ella asked. “I’m outside.”

Chun seemed reluctant before he answered then replied, “Ok.”

After hanging up Ella stared up at the stars catching the first one she saw. She just had one wish. One wish she wanted to come true. She wished Chun wouldn’t make her wait, that he would really come out to meet her.