Thirthy

Single Portrait

***

Selina turned over in bed and tried to block her eyes from the attacking rays shining in through the large window. She did not feel like facing the day optimistically that day for some reason. When her alarm rang for the third time Selina finally turned it off and got out of the bed.

She found herself following Chun into the business building that belonged to him and his mother. Sometimes Selina wondered how in the world they managed to squeeze their lives away to make time for the business. Selina looked up at Chun to see that he was staring ahead, his mouth moved as he uttered some words that she wasn’t paying attention to.

“So get ready after 10 alright?” Chun said.

He left Selina in the middle of the hallway as she watched him go. Selina thought to herself and tried to come up with what he had said earlier, but nothing came to mind. Selina sighed and walked into her office. She wanted to try for Chun at least, but her heart wasn’t into working for his business at the moment. If only she could have stayed at Jiro’s.

***

Jiro was just about to fall asleep at his desk when the door suddenly flung open and his secretary stood there with a binder in his arm.

“A joint meeting has been called. Here are the papers regarding the information,” his secretary said walking over and putting the binder in front of Jiro.

“A joint meeting?” Jiro repeated rubbing his forehead.

“Yes sir,” his secretary replied, “there will be other people attending the meeting.”

“Alright,” Jiro said.

His secretary bid his leave and left. Jiro opened his eyes and grabbed the binder flipping through the pages. Sighing he leaned back in his chair about to fall asleep again. For some reason last night he wasn’t able to fall asleep.

***

“Lets go,” Chun told from the doorway.

Selina looked up from her desk.

“Hurry up you’re going to attend a meeting with me,” Chun said.

“Is it in the building somewhere?” asked Selina.

Chun reached over and grabbed her bag, “We can go in my car.”

“But where…” Selina began as she followed him out.

Nothing good came to her mind as Chun’s car stopped somewhere within the parking lot of Jiro’s company.

“Why here?” asked Selina refusing to let go of her seatbelt.

“I told you there’s a joint meeting today,” Chun told unbuckling himself.

Selina turned to Chun, “This morning?”  

Chun nodded, “Lets go, we’re almost late.”

Selina hadn’t wanted to come back until her one month deal with Chun was over. She dragged herself out of the car and followed Chun inside. Everything was familiar, too familiar. They passed the reception desk and went to the elevator. As they rode up Chun’s voice went through her head, but his words weren’t transmitting into her brain. When the elevator doors opened Selina stepped out slowly glancing down both ends of the hallway. If Jiro saw her with Chun what would he think? Jiro would be at the meeting for sure Selina figured.

“Which room is the meeting?” asked Selina.

“The last one down this hallway,” Chun replied.

“Let me go to the bathroom first,” Selina lied.

“Hurry up,” Chun told.

Selina quickly turned and walked quickly down the hallway. When she peeked back Chun was nowhere to be seen. Selina leaned against the wall wondering to herself whether she would really have to go with Chun to the meeting.

“Why would he drag me here?” Selina mumbled to herself.

***

Jiro walked along the hallway with his secretary as he was given more details about the meeting. Jiro was paying close attention until he recognized Selina up ahead. Coming to a quick pause Jiro stared at her. For a second he thought foolishly that Selina had come to see him.

“Sir? Sir?” his secretary called.

Jiro did not reply, but Selina suddenly turned her head and immediately noticed him. He could see the surprised look in her eyes and until then he realized she hadn’t come for him.

“What are you doing here?” asked Jiro.

“Uh…I…” Selina began.

“Did you come to see your friends?” asked Jiro.

Selina felt as if she immediately agreed with him and lied, “Yes. I came to see them.”

“I see, well then I’ll see you around,” Jiro said.

Selina nodded and watched as Jiro walked away. Jiro stopped midway down the hall he’d turned into to look back. Selina wasn’t coming after him. With that he walked into the meeting room to recognize Chun sitting at the end of the table. Jiro made his way over and took a seat next to Chun.

“You’re here as well,” Jiro said.

“Of course,” Chun replied, “I came with my secretary. You’d be surprised if you saw her.”

Jiro raised his eyebrow, “Is she cute?”

Chun nodded, “You’ll be definitely surprised.”

Jiro frowned, “You’re so secretive.”

***

Selina walked until she was at the corner of the hallway to watch Jiro enter the meeting room. Making a face as she realized that if she went to sit with Chun Jiro would see her in there as well. If he found out that her new job was at Chun’s…then…Selina didn’t want to think about it. She couldn’t even think of Jiro finding out. Would he be hurt? Or was it a fact that she just didn’t want him to know? If Jiro knew then he would stop talking to her because of Chun. Selina turned back to lean against the wall guessing that she’d have to skip out on the meeting and come up with some excuse after Chun found her again.

***

During the meeting Jiro couldn’t help, but glance toward the door. Would Selina still be out there? If she was meeting with her friends within the building would she leave early? Maybe if she hadn’t left yet they could have a chat since the one last night didn’t go so well. Jiro returned his attention to the overhead and tuned back into the presentation.

***

When the meeting first started Chun glanced toward the door wondering if he should go out to fetch Selina, but as the lights turned off Chun figured he should just stay put. He had learned from his mother that it was impolite to walk out on someone else’s presentation. Even as the presentation was given Chun couldn’t help but glance at the door every so often and once he met Jiro’s eyes as Jiro seemed to turn back from looking at the door too.

***

As the presentation finished Jiro got up from his chair.

“I’ll see you again then,” Jiro told Chun and hurried out.

Jiro walked down the hallway and headed to the department Selina used to work in. Looking around Jiro hurried over to the girl that sat next to Selina.

“Did Selina leave yet?” Jiro asked.

“Selina?” the girl asked. “I didn’t see her since she said she left on vacation.”

“Oh,” Jiro replied then stepped back looking around as if Selina was hiding somewhere.

He frowned to himself as he stepped out of the department. Did Selina lie? Had she come for some other business? Or had she actually come for him? Feeling his heart race faster Jiro ran down the hallways. He turned from to the other and finally came to a stop when he reached the first floor. As Jiro stared out at the streets he sighed to himself.

“Jiro what are you doing?” Jiro asked himself. “You shouldn’t even be thinking about her.”

With that Jiro went back into his office.

***

Selina paced back and forth in front of Chun’s TV set at his house. She had hurried home instead of deciding to wait for the meeting to be over with. She’d decided that it wouldn’t help herself to wait for him and come up with an excuse. Her cell phone rang in her hand and Selina looked to see Chun’s name.

Pursing her lip Selina answered her phone, “Where are you? Why did you just disappear? Are you ok? Selina? Do you hear me?”

“Yes,” Selina replied, “sorry. I had an upset stomach so I went back first.”

She could hear Chun let out a loud breath of relief or either frustration.

“Ok, stay there I’ll be coming home after I return to the office to get something,” Chun told then hung up.

Selina stared at her phone and sighed. What was wrong with her? All she could think now and worry about was Jiro.

***

Chun rushed into the office and hurried back out. He stopped at the curb as a car entered the parking lot, but stopped before him. He stood still wondering what was going on until he recognized Ella come out of the car.

“I just realized I’ve stopped visiting you,” Ella told.

“What are you doing here?” asked Chun.

“For a visit. We hadn’t done anything together since we all met up,” Ella said. “Do you want to grab a late coffee with me?”

Chun stared at Ella for a second and replied without hesitation, “I’m in a hurry Ella.”

Ella stood there as Chun walked passed her and hurried to his car.

“Are you hurrying home or are you hurrying to see Selina?” Ella asked under her breath as Chun drove off.

***

Chun opened the door to find that it was empty downstairs. Figuring Selina would be upstairs he hurried upstairs and knocked on Selina’s door. She slowly got up and opened the door taking her time. Without letting Chun in Selina stepped out and closed the door behind her.

“Are you feeling ok?” asked Chun. “I was about to go buy some medication, but I wanted to see how you were doing first.”

“Oh…I’m ok. All good see?” Selina said.

“Are you sure?” Chun questioned.

Selina nodded and they were silent for a bit.

“The meeting was a bit boring, but I would have liked it if you came anyway,” Chun told, “when mother comes back she’s going to want to take you everywhere to see the things that are related to the company and so on. It’s going to be worse than what I’m asking of you right now.”

All Selina could reply was with a smile which she was sure didn’t seem sincere.

“If you ever need anything in the company or if you need help you can just ask me or anyone you feel comfortable with,” Chun told then turned to walk away, but turned back. “It feels like I’m having a hard time communicating with you right now…or maybe it’s just me. Anyway good night.”

With that Chun hurried downstairs to get a cup of water. Only then had he realized one possibility to why maybe Selina hadn’t wanted to attend the meeting. Jiro was going to be there. Even if he just wanted to keep it as a possibility something within him told him that he was sure Selina hadn’t wanted to attend the meeting because of Jiro. Were Selina’s feelings for Jiro growing? Chun wondered if it would even make her feelings for Jiro die now that he had taken her out of Jiro’s company.