Forty

Single Portrait

***

“Do you want to come along?” Ella asked.

Chun remained silent over the phone.

“I’ve already talked with Jiro,” Chun replied, “and…I’m not ready to see them together yet. You go ahead.”

“Alright then,” Ella said a bit disappointed then hung up.

She got out of her car and hurried into the airport.

***

Jiro and Selina hugged again for the third time.

“You better make sure to call me often,” Selina told.

“I’m afraid I might be too busy then,” Jiro said with a smile.

“It’s almost time,” his father said from afar.

Jiro turned back to Selina and they hugged again.

“I better go before the old man gets angry,” Jiro told.

Selina nodded.

“Hey wait!” Ella shouted running over. “I was afraid I wouldn’t make it.”

“Remember to help me take care of Selina,” Jiro said. “Thanks for seeing me off Ella.”

Ella nodded.

“Flight 82 going to Europe please board gate 25,” the announcer said.

Jiro looked up as if he would see someone up on the ceiling. He turned to Selina and Ella then waved. When he walked over to his father they stared at each other for a long time until his father smiled awkwardly then walked off. Jiro turned around again and waved to Selina.

“It’s so boring,” Selina moaned as she sat in her apartment.

Ella walked in with a plate of chips.

“Do you miss him already?” asked Ella.

“I miss him every second of the hour and every hour of the day and every day of the week and every week of the month,” Selina said.

Ella laughed out loud, “You’re funny.”

Selina smiled back at Ella and climbed off the couch joining her on the ground.

“So have you spoken to Chun?” asked Selina.

Ella shook her head, “He’s still the same. He busies himself with work then returns home to eat then wakes up and does the same thing again.”

“He sounds very bored to me.”

“I guess so,” Ella agreed.

“Is there a chance you two will get together again?” Selina asked.

Ella turned to Selina and rubbed her head.

“We’re friends now,” Ella told. “Oh yes Jiro told me about your mom. You’re not going to find her anymore?”

Selina remained silent for a few seconds.

“No,” Selina replied.

“Are you afraid of meeting her again?” Ella asked.

“No,” Selina told, “when I do meet her again I want to ask her how she’s been all these years. Has she ever thought of me and I also want to know what she’s been doing these 15 years.”

The week went by fast. Jiro called three times a day, but on the day they were supposed to return the flight was delayed due to a thunderstorm. That very same day when Selina was pacing back and forth in her apartment her phone rang. Hurrying to answer it in case it might be Jiro Selina only heard a worried voice on the other end of the line which belonged to Ella.

“Selina I’m busy right now and I can’t make it to the hospital. Can you please hurry over there? I’m worried and I don’t want Chun to be alone right now,” Ella said as she rushed her words together.

“Hospital? Did something happen to Chun?” asked Selina.

“His mother got into an accident,” Ella replied.

After hanging up the phone Selina paced back and forth in her living room. They weren’t allowed to use mobile phones in the hospital. If she went how would Jiro be able to contact her? Selina quickly turned running into her room and grabbed her sweatshirt almost rushing out when her phone rang.

“I’m boarding the plane now,” Jiro told.

“Jiro,” Selina said worriedly, “Chun’s mom got into an accident…”

Jiro was silent.

“Should I…” Selina started.

Would it be alright to hurry over to Chun?

“Go ahead,” Jiro said. “I’m sure he’ll want your comfort.”

“I’ll see you tomorrow then.”

With that Selina hurried off to the hospital. She hurried up to the reception desk and made her way to the ER waiting room to find Chun sitting on a chair. He sat alone…Selina slowly made her way over and took a seat beside him. They were silent. No one not even a nurse or a patient walked passed the hallway. Selina turned to look at Chun. It had certainly been a long time since they’d been together. Selina was almost nervous wondering if she should really be there.

“I waited for my father the same way…and he didn’t come out of the emergency room,” Chun said silently.

Selina noticed his voice was shaking. What could she do? How could she comfort him with her words?

“It’s ok Chun. Your mother’s a great person and she’s strong. She’ll be alright, we have to believe she’ll be alright,” Selina said remembering all the times Chun’s mother had joked with her.

Her kindness toward Selina was something Selina would never be able to forget. She was just like a perfect mother. Selina put her hand on Chun’s shoulder and slowly embraced him in her arms. She could feel him tremble against her shoulder and she finally recalled how safe she had felt when she was with him. She had been robbed of those feelings when Chun suddenly became possessive.

Another four hours later the doctor walked through the doors. Chun rushed up from his seat followed by Selina.

“Your mother has a broken leg and arm. However, if she stays in the hospital to recuperate for a while she’ll be good to go,” the doctor reported. “You can visit her in a bit.”

Selina’s face lit with a smile and when she turned to Chun he thanked the doctor over and over again. They ate a midnight snack and Selina waited with Chun for the hospital to finally allow him to visit his mother. When they rushed through the door Chun’s mother was asleep on the bed with thick casts around her arm and her leg. Selina could see the tears at the corner of Chun’s eyes at the same time as he heaved a sigh of relief. He grabbed a chair and sat down by the bed then turned around to Selina.

“Thank you for staying with me,” he said. “But you should go back now. You must be tired.”

“But I wanted to see your mom wake up,” Selina told.

“I’ll tell her you visited,” Chun said kindly telling her that he didn’t want her there.

Selina looked down at him and smiled with a nod. As Selina made her way back she wondered if Jiro had arrived yet. When she opened her front door and walked in she thought there was an intruder in her house. A suitcase was on the floor along with some other bags. Selina the light to see Jiro sitting on the couch lazily. Her eyes opened wide in surprise.