Thirthysixth

Single Portrait

***

Jiro leaned his head against his arms on the table. He was at the office, the office at the company. The only place where no one would be and the only place where he could be alone. Jiro stared out at the empty wall in front of him. He should had taken Ella’s words into consideration before. If he wasn’t going to confess he should have just let everything go, but now he was binded. He didn’t want to let things go. He didn’t want to see Selina leave like that and go to Chun helplessly. Selina’s words rang in his head.

“If…if you really let it go like this I’m never going to forgive you…and you disappointed me. You’re not the person I thought you were,” Selina’s voice rang in his head.

She should really be disappointed in him. He didn’t have the courage to stand up and say what he wanted. He didn’t have the face to do it.

The lights suddenly went on surprising Jiro. He looked up to see his father enter the room.

“What are you doing in here?” he asked.

Jiro sat up, “I thought you weren’t coming back here.”

“You wanted to be alone?” his father asked.

Jiro didn’t reply. His father took a glance at his glum face and sat down next to him.

“How was the banquet?” asked his father.

“Nothing I expected it to be,” Jiro replied.

“Is that good news or bad news?” his father continued with his questions.

“Dad, if you want something, but you’re afraid to get it because someone else also wants it what would you do?” Jiro asked.

His father frowned and all the tired wrinkles formed on his forehead.

“Well what’s there to be afraid of?” his dad said. “If it’s for my own happiness I’d get it. It’s pointless to be left with regret isn’t it? I’d be playing stupid if I didn’t take what I want.”

“Do I disappoint you dad?” Jiro asked.

“What’s with all these questions?” asked his father. “Are you in some kind of trouble?”

Jiro shook his head.

“If you disappointed me I wouldn’t have brought you to where you are now,” his father said. “You’re the only son I have and if you were a disappointment I should be disappointed with myself.”

“Dad,” Jiro said, “whoever I like is my decision. You won’t try to go against me on that will you?”

His dad touched his chin with his fingers, “I don’t know. We’ll see about it. Your grandpa didn’t like your mother very much.”

Jiro smiled at his dad glad. He suddenly felt as if he was ready to deal with reality.

***

Chun walked down the path with his hands in his pockets. Up ahead he could see Ella’s lone figure sitting on the bench. He walked over to her and took a seat next to her.

“You called me out to sit with you?” he asked.

“I have some questions for you,” Ella told. “I was at the banquet today.”

“Is that so?” Chun said.

“Whether you and Selina carry on with the engagement or not isn’t my problem. I know that clearly,” Ella said.

Chun listened to Ella contently. He wasn’t surprised that Ella would know. Ella was a smart girl and she always figured out things easily.

“I just wanted to know…if you love her,” Ella said.

Chun didn’t refrain from answering, “I do.”

Ella could feel tears prickle within her eyes.

“I waited three years for you to come back to me. But in the end the three year wait ended with nothing,” Ella said trying to not let her voice shake.

“My feelings for you already disappeared three years ago,” Chun told. “I’m sorry, you waited for nothing.”

Ella kept her head down hoping that Chun wouldn’t see her rushing tears. Ella wiped them slowly.

“If you said something earlier…this 3 year wait wouldn’t be so painful,” Ella said sobbing now. “You make things…really hard.”

Chun didn’t turn to look at her. The Ella he knew wouldn’t want comfort from him at such a moment.

***

Selina woke up the next morning and set out early. She wanted to look for a cheap apartment. Something she would be able to afford with the money she had saved up for herself. She didn’t want to live somewhere near Chun or Jiro. She wanted to go somewhere they didn’t know of.

“It’s pretty small, but it’s hidden from view by that restaurant,” the old woman said leading Selina to the apartment that a couple just moved out of.

Selina opened the door and walked in. It was small, but small enough just for one person. Through the narrow hall to the left was the kitchen and to the right was the living room and there was a door in the living room which led to the bedroom and the bathroom behind it.

“The house has both air conditioning and heating,” the old woman said, “if you want it right away I can give it to you. Just $150 a month. Not too bad is it?”

Selina glanced around once more then turned to the women.

“I’ll move in tomorrow,” Selina told. “Since you work in the restaurant I’ll bring you the money tomorrow ok?”

“That sounds great! You’ll really enjoy it here,” the old woman said.

Excited with the good news Selina decided to stop somewhere for a snack. As she ate Selina stared out into the streets promising herself to let go of yesterday and the day before that and the day before that. Selina didn’t want to remember those days anymore. She wanted to go on and do something for herself maybe then she would feel the happiness she’d been yearning for. Selina stared at the people that passed by. Were they living stressful lives too? Were bad things happening to them too? Had they overcome hardships and found happiness? Selina stared at blank faces and smiling ones. After she finished eating her snack Selina glanced at her watch. It was about time to head back and when she returned to Chun’s house she would pack and wait for tomorrow to come.

When Selina opened the door no one seemed to be around. Deciding she didn’t want to bother anyone she hurried to her room and grabbed her suitcase. Selina grabbed her clothes and began to neatly fold them.

“You’re going somewhere?” Chun asked from behind.

Selina turned around surprised by his sudden presence. She placed the shirt she had been folding into the suitcase and turned around.

“I’m moving out,” Selina said. “I don’t think it’s right to stay here anymore.”

“Why? Because you’ve realized your feelings?” Chun asked.

“I don’t want to use your home as my refuge. I don’t want to hide here anymore,” Selina said. “You should understand.”

“You’re not a refuge,” Chun pointed out. “Have it your way then.”

Selina took a step forward to chase after Chun, but stopped as she figured it would do no good. They would just get into another argument. Besides Chun would have to face the fact that she didn’t want to stay anymore. It bothered her to always have Chun around watching her. She didn’t want to suffocate herself by staying there all her life.

Figuring she should at least tell Chun’s mother Selina stepped out of her room. And as soon as she stepped out her phone began ringing.

***

Jiro waited and waited for Selina to pick up, but no one did. Was she ignoring him? Was she trying to get back at him for all those times she’d called him, but he never picked up? Jiro finally gave up deciding he deserved it. Selina was probably still angry. He wondered how she was doing and how Chun was. Would they be happy or would they be breaking up? Jiro sat back in his chair unsatisfied with how things were. Ella…he’d forgotten about her since yesterday. Wondering how she was Jiro decided to give her a call.

***

Ella had slept all night and all morning. Jiro’s sudden call had awakened her from her rash dream.

“Hello?” Ella mumbled into the phone.

“Are you home? You’re ok right? I forgot about you since yesterday,” it was Jiro.

“Huh?” Ella said struggling to sit up in bed. “I’m home. What do you want?”

“Are you bored? Lets meet outside today,” Jiro suggested.

“Why don’t you go walk outside if you’re bored?” Ella said plopping back down on the bed. “You’re ruining my afternoon.”

Ella then hung up digging her face into the blankets.

***

Selina knocked on the door before opening it. Chun’s mother sat behind her desk bent over some papers she was reading.

“Selina,” she said with a smile.

Selina returned the smile and stepped into the office.

“I just wanted to tell you I already found a new place,” Selina told.

“Already? You’re in that much of a hurry?” asked Mrs. Wu.

“It’s not that I dislike staying here, but it feels like I’m burdening you.” Selina told.

“You’re not a burden to me. I really like it with you here,” she said.

“Thank you for letting me stay during this period,” Selina said. “I received a lot of comfort during my stay.”

“If that’s what you want then I won’t stop you. If I were in your shoes I would probably do the same,” said Chun’s mother.

Selina smiled then walked out of the room. She had indeed received a lot of comfort. Selina glanced toward Chun’s room. Would he be in there? Or would he be out? Deciding to give it a chance Selina knocked on his door then opened it to find the room was empty. Closing the door Selina headed downstairs and searched every room, but still no Chun. She thought to herself for a moment and headed out back to where there was the garden of flowers. Chun was sitting on the bench gazing out somewhere pass the flowers. Selina pursed her lips and slowly made her way over taking a seat next to him on the swinging bench.

“I forgot how long its been since we came out here,” Selina said turning to look at Chun.

Chun remained silent as if scolding her from inside.

“So much has happened I forgot,” Selina began, “thank you for helping me with my grandfather’s death. After that I felt as if I lost everything.”

Chun could very well recall those memories. When he had suddenly received a call from her and heard her crying through the phone. He could remember how panicked he had become.

“I forgot how nice you were to me and how reliant I became,” Selina said. “I should be the one who’s sorry right?”

Selina smiled at Chun.

“I’m sorry I hurt you,” Selina apologized. “After I get my things over to my apartment I’ll come back to the office to collect my things.”

With a last look at Chun Selina got up and returned to the house. Chun turned around to watch Selina disappear through the doors. She was really leaving. She was really going to leave him.

Selina carried her suitcase into her apartment and left it lying in the middle of the living room. She looked around once more to satisfy herself. She would be staying alone without anyone to bother her. It felt great to be relieved from such a great burden. Selina smiled to herself then recalled that she had one more place to go before settling down.

Selina stared up at the company that belonged to the Wu family. She had had a fresh start here and hoped now that after she left it she wouldn’t have to return. She didn’t want to have anything to do with working in these businesses anymore. Selina walked in through the doors and walked up to her office. Once inside she began to pack up her belongings and once more it felt like she was leaving Jiro’s to go somewhere else except she was leaving Chun’s. When she had placed everything that belonged to her in the box she walked out into the hallway and paused. Turning around to look back at Chun’s office she wondered if she should go say her farewell. It might be a long time before she’d see him again.

Selina knocked on the door and opened it. Chun’s other secretary looked at her and excused himself. As he walked through the door Selina made her way in closing the door after her.

“I thought you might want to know I’ll be leaving,” Selina said.

Chun, who still seemed childish, didn’t turn to look at her. With that said Selina began to turn around to head out.

“Where are you staying?” Chun asked.

Selina turned around.

“When I feel ready I’ll tell you then,” Selina said.

Chun got up from his chair and walked toward her.

“I hope you know my feelings are real,” Chun said looking down at her. “I don’t want you to leave. I feel worried about you. What are you going to do when you get in trouble? Who’s going to help you?”

Selina smiled at him, “I know you worry, but there are a lot of people around and it’s a safe place to stay. Anyway thank you. I’m glad I got to know you.”

Before Selina turned around Chun grabbed her wrist spinning her back around. The box dropped from her hands at his sudden pull and she found herself standing against him in his hug.

“I really don’t want to watch you go,” Chun said. “I don’t hate you, but I’ll still be here if you need me.”

When he released her Chun gave her a kiss on the forehead. Selina smiled at him once more and took her box opening the door and walked out. She didn’t want to turn back. She had to admit she felt sad leaving Chun, but it was a thing she had to do.

Just as her noodles had finished boiling there was a knock on her door. Selina set down her fork and rushed to open the door to find the woman who had sold the apartment to her holding a bowl of soup.

“Just in case you get hungry later I thought you might like some soup,” she said.

“Thank you,” Selina thanked.

“Whenever you get hungry you can come down to the restaurant,” the old woman offered, “since there’s only me and another woman working there it’d be nice to have another person to help us. If you need a job why don’t you just come work with us?”

“Thank you for the offer,” Selina said. “I’ll come help sometime.”

The old woman smiled at her and excused herself. Selina watched as she made her way down the cement and closed the door just as her cell phone began ringing. Selina hurried to pick up the phone.

“Hey,” it was Ella. “Do you want to come out for dinner?”

“I’ve already started dinner over here…” Selina said then an idea came to her, “why don’t you come over?”