Coming Home

A cup of her world

“I’m sorry, but let’s end this? I don’t think that I’m a good partner for you.” His voice sounded weak.

The petite figure remained on her place, processing the words that came up from the latter’s mouth. She didn’t able to say anything just yet, her world stopped once she heard those confessions. The look on his face was vague; she didn’t know whether he was sad or just simply calm or maybe feel nothing about this.

“Ji—“ He continued.

“If this is you want then let’s end everything. I might get hurt several times but you aren’t bad partner for me, I deeply fond of you.” Her voice trembled.

The two souls were broken upon their own words, it choked them up. Goodbye had always been the hardest part for those who shared the most. No one cried, just yet. They remained on their own place, silence. The tall figure then turned around; he held his head up, preventing himself to cry. He started to swing his legs, leaving the petite figure behind him. He chose not to say goodbye because words wouldn’t come out from his mouth, so did the petite figure. He braced himself to turn around only to find her looked at him, still. They flashed the bluest smile only to send each other warmly despite the heavy snow.

Their light dimmed.

Four years had passed, they still keeping in touch with each other despite their last page together as pairs that day. The warmth between them were still the same even though somehow one of them would hold back in order not to drawn too deep to each other. The two of them took a small careful step whenever they felt drawn. The latter might had started a new relationship with others but the petite one had not started one yet or maybe wouldn’t. Their bond was this strong even after the break up.

The latter’s new relationship didn’t go well; no one actually understood him the way the petite did. This figure held the most special place inside his heart; irreplaceable. She once said that whenever he felt tired and needed rest, he could come to her anytime he wanted. She provided a warm place for him to stay and grumbled. Why would she say that even though she hadn’t healed yet? Why would she want to comfort him even though she was still hurting? The petite figure had been this patient to him.

It was a little bit more colder than yesterday, the tall figure swung his legs slowly towards that place; a place that held so many memories. The same date, the same time and even the same weather. It was four years ago that day, the day of their dimmed light. He wandered around through the dark, his mind got lost in the middle of the cold wind as his steps getting slower as his eyes confirmed something. At the end of the road, he found her; the one who kept shining brightly as his only light despite the darkness that embraced. She is the light of his life, Lee Jieun.

“Ji,” he called her name gently, “Lee Jieun.”

She tilted her head, laid her gaze on his. A bit surprised with his presence, she tried to flash an awkward smile. Jieun had held everything alone by herself, she didn’t want to burden him just because she still fond of him the same. He took a seat beside her, resting his head on her shoulder before closing his eyes; silence.

“Did you cry that day?” He asked softly.

“I—“

Jieun hadn’t finished her words as he continued his own.

“I did cry that day; a lot. Do you know why I didn’t even say goodbye to you that day?” he inhaled, “It’s because I was afraid that I would cry in front of you, that’s why I chose to turn around and leave as fast as I can. My cold back was shaking due to the pain, the tears that I held before I broke down secretly.”

She remained silence, listening to his words carefully.

“I got lost several times in life after that day and I thought that you would cut off our communications but the fact that you still remain the same. Thank you, Ji. Thank you for always staying by my side and welcoming me with your warm heart,” he stopped for a while, “Whenever I look back on this snowy road, you’re always there; facing me every time I look back at you. Even though I give you my cold back, you still give me your warm gaze.”

Jieun managed to swallow her tears; her body trembled upon hearing him.

“Even someday or maybe today, my trip will be over then I’ll know it,” he lifted his head, facing her as reaching for her hand before holding it rather tightly, “Even my time is over, I’ll still come to your side; holding you in my heart just like this. Like a habit to my warm home, without even asking, I’ll come back to your side. Today, the same day like four years ago; I finally am coming back to my one and only warmest place, you. I’m coming home to you, Lee Jieun.”

She couldn’t hold her tears; the petite figure sobbed in front of him and so did him. The hidden tears from four years ago had finally come out gradually. Baekhyun held Jieun close to him, embracing her petite figure warmly. Jieun had always been Baekhyun’s warmest home, for no matter how long he wandered around, he would come back to her. If four years ago Baekhyun gave Jieun a-made-up cold back while the fact she still facing him until he turned back; then this time, Baekhyun provided a warmest embrace and home for Jieun. The pain had redeemed with ease through sincere apology and compassion. Both of them had finally come back to each other; the home of their hearts.

“Jieun is also the light that guides Baekhyun to come back towards his home, the truth that always stays close on his side.”