Spring, Break up

A cup of her world

They started everything in spring.

The baby tree was growing up within the warmth of spring.

As times went by, the baby tree grew taller and the cherry blossom started to bloom.

The green leaves mingled lovingly with the pink cherry blossom petals.

Their story began.

A little boy was crying his heart out under the cherry blossom tree, the evening twilight wouldn’t bother to stop his tears. A tiny palm reached for his head, it rather carefully soft. The boy lift his head, their gaze met before her husky voice could be heard.

“Are you alright?” She asked.

“No.” He replied.

Then the boy buried his face between his knees, too shy to face the little girl in front of him.

“What happens?”

“I’ve lost my airplane keychain. I’ve been searching it all day yet couldn’t find it. I need to find it because it matters a lot to me.”

“Are you alone here?”

“Yeah, I’m always alone.”

Without any replies, the little girl dragged the little boy’s hand. She said nothing; she only gave him the warmest and reassuring smile.

“Where are we going?”

“Finding your airplane keychain, of course.”

They had been searching here and there, the little boy seemed devastated. He plopped himself weakly as if he lost everything. For 8 years old kids, maybe it was quite simple. If you lost it then you can ask your parents to buy the new one but for this little boy, it was completely different. The little boy sniffled and hung his head low.

“I FOUND IT.” She exclaimed happily, “LOOK! THIS IS YOUR KEYCHAIN.” She ran towards the boy.

The cloud grey turned into the bright one, the little boy smiled ear to ear and cried in joy. He couldn’t say anything further besides his sincere gratitude towards her.

“Thank you! Thank you a lot. This is my late brother’s favorite keychain. This is the thing that loyally accompanying me whenever I miss my brother. Thank you!” He sniffled.

The little girl said nothing; she reached for the little boy and gave him a big warm hug. She then patted his back lightly.

“Let’s be friends? You don’t need to be alone and sad because I’m your friend. And well, yeah you’re most welcome, friend.” She flashed a sincere smile.

He said nothing; the little boy was too mesmerized by her smile. A warm sincere contagious smile that would definitely bring happiness and joy within her presence herself, he nodded.

 –

Ever since that day, they befriending each other just like two long-lost souls that had reunited. She didn’t lie, the little boy never felt alone since that day. She had always been in his side, through ups and downs, vice versa. They were growing up together as pairs; a tree and cherry blossom petal. The little boy was no longer a crybaby and the little girl was a bit sensitive as she grew up. Time flew, it had been fifteen years and they remained the same. The pure affections toward each other had slowly began grew into something new. They were in love, mutual. It was that day, when the spring breeze blew gently. They were there, spending their spring time under the same tree as fifteen years ago. The petite girl rested her head onto the boy’s thigh, busy with her book. As for the boy, he stayed still; overwhelmed by the spring song that he had been listening to.

“I like you—No, I mean I love you.”’ He suddenly spoke, “Let’s date?”

“Stop playing prank.” She snapped.

“I’m serious. I have been loving you ever since you helped me that day and of course, your hug and smile too.”

“Yo—“

“I’m serious.”

Without any hesitation, he leaned closer to her and planted a light kiss on her lips. Her cheeks redden, she froze. The girl also shared the same feelings since the first day they met. It was a puppy love—everyone said—yet the puppy love grew into a sincere love. They dated in spring.

Three years had passed, their bonds were getting denser. They joked, listened, spoke, laughed, cried, and fight the same. They didn’t change yet the time had come. Their communications were getting lesser, as grownups they faced several difficulties. One of them started to change; he started to lose the spark. He started to lessen the red-knot between them. The tree wanted to let go of the cherry blossom petal yet the petal tried so hard to hang on, until that day.

“Let’s end everything. Let’s break up.”

Her petal fell onto the ground. She had no soul left, she was too exhausted to confront. She gave up and let go of the tree.

“Alright.”

That was the only word that could be heard from her. She gave him the same smile, the same warm sincere contagious smile just like that day. It felt different because she seemed holding so much pain and disappointment within that smile. Their story began in spring, a puppy love from two little kids who ended up as pairs, soulmate. He was right after all; she didn’t change a bit since day 1. Lee Jieun braced herself to come to Byun Baekhyun that day. The shy Jieun tried to talk to Baekhyun, thus she could cheer him up. Spring gave lots of stories in their lives, painted several colors through their journeys. Jieun never hated Baekhyun even though he broke her heart because he chose to give up in order stopping her pain of waiting. They started in spring and ended it up in spring too. Spring brought both joy and pain, pink and grey, laughter and tears, start and end; spring brought the cherry blossom petal to the tree, Jieun to Baekhyun.