Garden Conversations

The Foxglove Meadow

 

"I believe we will be gone for the better part of the day" Minjun told Haneul as she boarded the carriage. "You are to be done with your lessons by the time we come home" Soojung reminded Minah while she waited. "Yes Ma'am" Minah answered obediently. 

"I do believe your father should be back home today if the weather is fair. So do watch out for him" Minjun added. "Yes Mama" Haneul answered, still sleepy as the ball had gone on late and she had to rise earlier than she had wished to. Soojung boarded the carriage as well and the two ladies set off.

At the ball, Younhee had invited Minjun to lunch in order to meet Soojung. After a brief discussion in the morning, Soojung had agreed to the much needed diversion. The girls had volunteered to stay behind with Haneul agreeing to tutor Minah on the piano and etiquette while the ladies went to town for lunch.

"I don't suppose we could retire to our rooms for a nap can we?" Minah asked hopefully. Haneul shook her head but a stray yawn betrayed her thoughts. "Perhaps we won't work on something as taxing as the piano this afternoon" she conceded. "I shall call for some coffee in the garden. It should wake me up considerably" she nodded to herself. 

Haneul called for a maid to set up coffee in the gardens. The day was cloudy and relatively cool for summer which made the gardens a pleasant sight. There had been dew on the grass from a slight shower this morning and the petrichor had livened everyone's minds. Minah had wanted a lazy day but Soojung had been firm about her routines. 

The coffee was set up and the two sisters took a silent break to acclimatize themselves to the pace of a normal day. Minah decided to write a letter to her younger brother while Haneul composed the thank you notes for the ball last night in her mother's stead. The notes would be posted in the evening, after her mother approved of them.

While writing she would occasionally interrupt Minah to show her salient points about composing thank you notes. The discussion turned to ball etiquette once Minah had sealed away her letter as well. Haneul told Minah about types of dances, types of ball gowns and the rules that governed the interactions between gentlemen and ladies on such formal occasions.  

"Two dances are considered the appropriate number" Haneul said. "Anymore and it is considered that the gentleman is paying more than polite attention to a lady" she added. "Also, every gentleman must dance the first and the last dance with his own lady. The rule is flexible for unmarried gentlemen who usually dance with the ladies they are escorting, such as their sisters or maybe mothers."

"Why two?" Minah asked curiously. "I suppose it is to ensure that you meet many people and aren't paying scandalously undue attention to just one" Haneul reasoned. "It's a mighty relief to be able to finally escape ones you are uncomfortable with. Speaking of which, it is well within a lady's right to refuse a dance and the gentlemen must withdraw on refusal" Haneul told her. "Have you ever had an over attentive partner?" Minah asked her. "A fair share of you will believe me" Haneul frowned.

"I suppose the stories about dancing an entire night away are exaggerations then" Minah said wistfully. "They are indeed. But writers often tend to break norms for dramatics" Haneul agreed. "You must accompany me to my first ball Haneul. I shan't remember half the rules and I am terribly sure I will cause a scandal" Minah insisted. "You shall be fine my fair cousin. And if we are lucky then your mother may agree to let you come to the balls in Derbyshire before you have to attend to the London season" Haneul reminded her.

"Mother will leave the decision to Soojung" Minah said crossly. "You have a good chance of attending the next ball then" Haneul remarked. Minah nodded but bit her lip in doubt. The only reason Soojung would insist on her attending a ball would be to impress whom she hoped to be potential suitors. Or rather suitor.  A solitary gentleman whose attention had been unknowingly given and welcomed, she was sure.

"Whom did you dine with last night?" Minah asked, trying not to appear too curious. "The Lees. We also had tea with Kim Wonshik and his friend. He asked about you" Haneul told her. Minah searched her cousin for a reaction but nothing was given away. "What did you tell him?" Minah asked her. "A polite apology for your absence. He'll probably invite you over to tea some time" Haneul thought out loud.

"You mentioned a friend?" Minah asked, trying to deviate from the topic. "A rather interesting gentleman. Jung Taekwoon, if you know of him. I thought he danced fairly well and was very charming in his own way" she told Minah. "I don't think I am familiar with anyone of that name" Minah recounted. "He's just visiting for a while... Isn't that Sarangi?" Haneul asked, abruptly stoppig when she noticed something running about in the bushes.

"I think it is" Minah said, standing up and heading over with Haneul right behind. The young dog yipped when it recognized the sisters and started jumping about Haneul's feet. Minah laughed and picked it up. A slight drizzle had begun but they were sure it would stop soon.

"Did you stray too far from home?" Minah cooed. "I think it did" Haneul said, scratching it's ears. The puppy barked, a soft woof coming out which made the girls shower it with more affection. "Let's take it inside. We can return it later after the rain" Haneul said. The drizzle was starting to become stronger. 

Minah took the puppy inside while Haneul called for servants to collect the stationery that had been left out. One of the servants pointed out to a man who looked like he had been waiting by the flower garden, hesitating on approaching the group. Haneul took an umbrella and ventured out when she recognised who the man was.

"Mr Jung! What an unexpected visit" she said, offering to share the umbrella. He took her up on the offer and held the umbrella for them whilst maintaining a respectful distance. "Wonshik and I were looking for Sarangi. She got out and we couldn't find her" Taekwoon explained. "Minah did find her. She had strayed over to our garden. We took her inside. Maybe you and Mr Kim would like to step in till the rains let up?" she suggested. 

"I just might take you up on the offer madam" he said wistfully. "Only if it isn't too much trouble" he added hesitantly. "Oh not at all. But where is Mr Kim?" she asked him. "I can see him in the distance" Taekwoon said, looking to the far right. Haneul followed his line of vision and saw Wonshik walking towards them, using his coat to shield himself from the rain. Haneul gestured for more umbrellas and the servants brought more over for her guests.  The three made their way to the house, the urgent pace and sharp rains making them go over the pleasantries as briefly as possible.