Wedding Discussions

The Foxglove Meadow

 

"Well, quite a turn of events is it not?" Jinsil asked, setting down her cup of tea. Sooyeon cleared , choosing to focus on her needle work over the conversation her mother wished to start.

"I have no particular inclination to discuss the events of the past week" Wonshik stated, ending the conversation before it could begin. "I am still quite unhappy by the state of affairs."

"You talk of Miss Kim" Taekwoon deduced. 

"I know what you feel brother but both Haneul and Jaehwan were honest about their lack of affections or any such engagements" Sooyeon protested.

"It isn't about honesty, it is about what is proper. If he had no such intentions to her then he wouldn't have let others believe so" Wonshik said.

"Come come brother. Don't people always gossip? This too shall die down soon" Sooyeon cajoled him.

"I see wisdom in your sister's words but I stand by Wonshik's point. It wasn't gentlemanly on your fiance's part to not disillusion us for so long" Taekwoon frowned. 

"But he did! As soon as he was sure of my affections, he asked you for my hand" Sooyeon said.

"As I said, I wish to discuss none of it. The Lees are good people and you shall be comfortable after marriage" Wonshik said.

"Have you spoken to Miss Kim since after the day of your engagement?" Taekwoon asked her.

"No unfortunately. I only ran into Minah in the city the other day and we barely exchanged hellos" Sooyeon said.

"She is a fine girl, isn't she? Han Minah. Good pedigree, I daresay" Jinsil said. 

"Indeed ma'am. She is a fine lady" Taekwoon agreed. He frowned to himself thoughtfully but said no more on the subject.

"And what do you think of her, Wonshik?" Jinsil asked.

"She is a pleasant conversationalist. She absolutely adores pets" Wonshik said dispassionately. Her brother was distracted as well, Sooyeon noted. The men of the household were rather broody, she sighed. If Jaehwan was here, he would be more lively to talk to. But he had wisely kept his distance till her brother's anger would subside. Besides, they were to be married soon and after that they would stay together as much as possible.

"The Hans are well to do, I'm told. Our acquaintances spoke highly of Mr Han. Inferior in wealth to us surely but reasonably well off when compared to Mr Kim" Jinsil noted.

"A man's worth is not measure in the worth of his money, Mother. What is it that you wish to say?" Wonshik asked bluntly.

"Sooyeon is settled and it is high time you found a wife too. Han Minah is as suitable a girl as any since your heart is set on staying in Derbyshire" Jinsil said.

"I have no inclinations to marrying her. She is far too young" Wonshik replied.

"She is of the same age as Sooyeon I am told. She does share your interests" Jinsil reminded him.

"Perhaps he would prefer someone more mature. Minah, like Sooyeon does have a naive view of the world" Taekwoon consoled her.

"Well if his age advances any further then I am sure it will only be old maids that he CAN marry" Jinsil huffed.

"It seems a fine day to go for a hunt. Won't you accompany me Taekwoon?" Wonshik asked, standing up.

"If you wish so. I have no prior engagements except replying to my letters" Taekwoon said, standing up as well.

"Very well. We should leave soon to make use of the daylight left. If you will Ma'am" Wonshik said with a stiff bow. Jinsil frowned when her son left, his friend leaving with him.

"Why must you rile him so Mama? You know how moody he has been of late" Sooyeon asked.

"I only wish him well. If he were to find a good sensible wife, then I would rest at ease regarding both of you" Jinsil replied, focusing on the poket Bible she had in her lap instead. Perhaps praying might be the only way she could be blessed with a daughter in law.

 

-

 

"I know you wished to hunt but so far we have only walked along the vast moor in circles Wonshik" Taekwoon said. 

"I have no intention of hunting. If I did, I would have brought the page boy and more dogs along. You know this surely" Wonshik said.

"I guessed as such, good friend. Tell me, what is on your mind" Taekwoon said, finding a nearby rock to sit down on. He lay down his rifle carefully and Wonshik followed suit.

"I may have consented but I am not yet convinced that I did the right thing for Sooyeon" Wonshik said.

"Jaehwan is a good man. This is just a mess he is not to blamed for" Taekwoon said.

"I do not understand why he would have broken his engagement to Haneul. Or not formed one as the three people claimed" Wonshik said, pacing around on the stretch of grass.

"They were childhood friends. It is perhaps more sibling like affection that they felt as opposed to romantic attachment" Taekwoon conjectured.

"And why wasn't it romantic attachment? There can be no fuel without fire. If Jaehwan did not love her as he claims then was the misunderstanding because Haneul loved him?" Wonshik asked.

"I've been told the misunderstanding was because their parents wished for a union and were sure it would happen, not knowing where their children's hearts lay" Taekwoon said.  "Might I ask, why you are so scandalized by it? Did you wish for them to be engaged?"

"I do not understand how you are so calm! You stepped back from courting Miss Kim because you believed she was engaged! How do you not feel cheated? And why have you not proposed to court her now?" Wonshik asked.

"Because I do not love her as more than a sister as I have told you so on countless occasions" Taekwoon reminded him.

"This entire situation is highly unfair on her" Wonshik grumbled.

"Then why do you not ask for her hand and save her reputation that you seem to care so deeply about?" Taekwoon asked, amused at his friend's antics. Wonshik faltered and blushed at the suggestion.

"This is no jesting matter" he insisted, picking his rifle up.

"Not at all. Which is why I pray you do not continue further on this trail of thought. Jaehwan and Sooyeon are marrying with her blessings. You should start preparing for the wedding. The winters get quite cold here in the country and it shall have to be held earlier" Taekwoon reminded him. "Not to mention how you will be away for days in the middle on account of business in London."