Primrose Cottage

The Foxglove Meadow

 

Han Minah breathed a sigh of relief. The long journey was soon to come to an end. The horseman had announced that the Chatsworth Estate was in view and that meant they were but an hour's ride away from her cousins' home. Derbyshire was beautiful but the long journey had reduced her tolerance for beauty. Minah would go so far as to say that she was sick of the vast green meadows but she was mindful of the words she would receive from her governess. Park Soojung was a woman mindful of her ward's mannerisms. And Minah had learnt it the hard way.

Minah smoothed out her skirts. She hadn't really wanted the woman to come along with her. She would have been fine traveling with any of her hand maids but neither the governess nor her mother would have any of it. So Minah had held her tongue. She knew that the only reason she had been allowed the temporary visit was because her cousin Haneul was considered to be an accomplished woman and would hopefully be a good influence on her. She was to be back in June for the London season in the hopes that she would be more feminine and ladylike during her introduction to society. And she knew that her guardians were very determined to see it through. By the age of eighteen, Han Minah was to be married to an eligible bachelor and be producing grandchildren by twenty if they had their way. 

And to think that eighteen was only three years away.

The farms gave way to a small village. It was barely the size of a small township. People were out and about, small pockets of conversation along the road and turnings. It was one of those paces where everyone knew everyone else. They dined with a modest two and seventy families as opposed to the thousands in London society. It was a simpler life. 

The carriage turned a corner and set out of the village along the road to the north east. Minah looked out of the window to see the famed Chatsworth Estate as they passed it by. The gates led down a gravel walkway to the entrance of the manor. The manor itself was made of grey stone that had been taken over vines over the years. The green gardens added a fresh charm to the house. Minah wished she could see the gardens and the farms beyond for she was sure they were beautiful as well. But they were hidden from view and the carriage kept moving ahead. The simplicity of the design was offset by the knowledge that it had been the estate of a squire not long ago. She did not know who lived in it now. Perhaps Haneul did and maybe someday she would be able to come visit.

The estate walls yielded to a small meadow at the end of which lay Primrose Cottage. It was a rather simple name for the house. Her maternal grandfather had named it after his second wife's love for flowers of the same name. He had even planted a garden but that had been replaced by canterbury bells before she had been born. Her uncle and Haneul's father Kim Hyunshik had inherited the estate. He had left it unchanged since the inheritance. It would pass on to her brother Sanghyuk after his death. She was sure that her aunt didn't approve of this arrangement but had no say as she had no sons of her own.

"We've arrived" Soojung noted closing the bible she had been reading on the journey. "Yes Ma'am" Minah said dutifully. "Remember your instructions. You are to be of no trouble to your aunt or your sister during your stay. No foolish requests are to be made to your uncle regardless of how much he tries to indulge you" she reminded her with a tone of finality. Minah nodded. She took a moment to adjust her coat before following her aunt of the carriage. They were met with a cheerful declaration of how do you dos and it had been so longs from her aunt and uncle.

"Dearest Minah, you've grown wonderfully my child" her uncle said with a smile. "And you look dashing as ever Sir" she replied in kind. The bright smile had instantly cheered her up. "Don't be a stranger now my dear. Come inside. Night is about to fall and Haneul should be back from her walk by now" he said, leading them inside. "Haneul isn't at home?" Minah asked curiously. "She has taken to walks by the meadows on pleasant days. Apparently there are new flowers in the gardens" her uncle said dismissively. Minah nodded, stepping into the modest cottage. A maid came up to her and took her coat while a manservant hurried out to help with the luggage. She followed the maid up to her room and decided to take a quick wash before changing into a comfortable dress for the evening. 

When she came down an hour later, she saw Haneul curtsy to Soojung before turning to her. "Minah!"  Haneul exclaimed happily as Minah came up to her. She hugged her sister with a joyous grin. Minah returned the gesture warmly. "I could barely wait till you arrived. There is so much to catch up on" she told her. "Tell me everything!" Minah demanded at once. "Now girls! You can retire after dinner. Help set the table for now" Soojung chided. Haneul blushed slightly at the reprimanding while Minah didn't take it to heart. She knew that Soojung was prim and proper. Besides, they would save the entertaining and scandalous discussions for later, away from the company of elders.