The Inevitable Apology

The Foxglove Meadow

 

There was a flurry of movement in the house. Minjun presided over the cleaning and Soojung was in deep talks with the chef. Haneul had shut herself in her room, professing illness much to her mother's irritation. Truthfully, Haneul needed a moment to compose herself. 

Just as planned, her father had responded to Kim Wonshik’s note and to her mother's delight they had met the very next day. Hyunshik had carried back a favourable account of the young man and indeed confirmed that he was unmarried. His family lived in London and was to come to Derbyshire once his mother was in better spirits. He was in town alone for now to help set up the house before his mother and sister moved in. 

Minjun had immediately exclaimed and asked if Hyunshik had offered to invite him for dinner like a gentleman must in these situations. Hyunshik admitted he had, albeit with less fervour. A note had been immediately composed and sent on the morning after the visit to invite him for dinner at any time of his choosing. Hopefully it wouldn't be too much of an inconvenience as the two houses were right next to each other. Kim Wonshik had politely replied and said that he was unavailable for dinner but would not mind tea if it suited the hostess (and it very much had). He had been invited to tea the following evening where Hyunshik had promised to introduce him to his family.

Due to the lack of time almost every task had to be rushed through. Minjun was a very thorough mistress but she still fussed over the exact degree of shine of the silverware and the antiques on display in the living room. Soojung had taken to helping the woman because she believed that first impressions were just as important. The girls were ordered to make themselves look presentable. Haneul had quietly taken to the task of getting Minah to look presentable, all while dreading the meeting. Eventually, she had just given up and professed illness and taken to bed, causing her mother to throw a fit.

"You are being rather ridiculous" Minah said, while Haneul buried her head in her pillow. "I can never show my face in the neighbourhood again!" she cried causing Minah to roll her eyes. "It really wasn't that bad. Or is there something I missed?" Minah asked curiously. "Nothing inappropriate happened" Haneul snapped at her. "Then you can show your face in the neighbourhood. You must really get up Haneul" Minah insisted.

"Even if nothing did, Mama is only going to embarrass me" Haneul grumbled, sitting up in bed. "Isn't it better she embarrass you in your own parlour than say at a ball with every family from the neighbourhood in attendance?" Minah asked playfully. Haneul cried in despair before giving up and getting out. She reluctantly got ready and came downstairs, holding onto a shawl over her red frock. Her mother nagged her for her simple appearance but Haneul insisted she was too ill for more.

"Madam, there is a gentleman at the gate" Hanbyul told Minjun. A quick flurry of activity took place, adding finishing touches to the house as their guest made his way down the lawn. Hyunshik went out to receive him while the ladies made their way to the parlour. Haneul unconsciously fiddled with her hair, only to be told off. She resigned to holding a book of poetry, absent mindedly going through the words. 

"May I announce, Kim Wonshik of the Chatsworth Estate" Hanbyul said, followed by Hyunshik and Wonshik himself. The ladies curtsied while Wonshik bowed. "May I introduce you to my wife, Kim Minjun. This is my niece Minah. She is staying with us for the summer. That is Park Soojung her governess and next to her is ny daughter Haneul" Hyunshik said, introducing him to everyone. Wonshik’s eyes met Haneul's and there was a flicker of recognition in it. Haneul blushed as he broke eye contact and turned to Minjun.

"You have a fine establishment, my lady" Wonshik told Minjun. "Thank you. I must say, you are as polite as the accounts of you that we've heard" Minjun told him. Wonshik smiled, grateful for the compliment. "I only hope that all accounts you've heard of me are good" he added modestly. Haneul could see her mother's eyes twinkle at his manners. "Please do sit down. I believe we can call for tea to be served in the parlour itself" Minjun gushed. "I'll take care of that" Hanbyul said, leaving the room.

"Mr Kim, I do believe you live in London for the primary part of the year" Soojung said, starting the conversation. "You're not mistaken madam. I studied in Oxford but I have taken up residence permanently in London" Wonshik explained. "Does your family stay with you?" Minjun enquired. "My father passed away quite a few years ago but my mother and my younger sister do stay with me" he replied.

"What exactly do you do in London Mr Kim?" Minah asked. "I overlook my father's trade business" he explained. "You trade in spices if I am not wrong?" Hyunshik recounted. "Yes. We import and sell spices. Primarily from India" Wonshik told them. "Many of our warehouses are in London. We want to start import of silk as well but that will take quite a while." Hyunshik nodded. It was anprofitable business to be in now, with colonies being established all over the world.

"Minah and I stay in London as well but I don't think our social circles intersect" Soojung said regretfully. "Regrettably not. I would not forget a beautiful lady as yourself" he replied with a smile. Minah blinked in surprise but eventually caught on to the fact that Wonshik did remember her along with Haneul from their outing days ago. Haneul had steadfastly avoided conversation and Minah was a little inclined to do the same.

"Perhaps Haneul can give you a tour of the estate" Minjun suggested. Haneul stared wide eyed at her Mother's sudden change of plans. She controlled her reaction when she saw Wonshik look at her. "If you wish to" she replied. "If it's not too much trouble" he agreed. "Maybe Minah can accompany you as well and perhaps we can have tea in the garden" Soojung suggested. A look was passed between Minjun and Soojung that Minah quite failed to comprehend. 

Wonshik let Haneul lead the way and Minah followed the two. "There are only two floors with bedrooms on both. But their is a sunroom that I am rather fond of for sketching" Haneul explained awkwardly as she let him to the said room. The large room had French windows installed to allow light to filter in naturally. The walls had paintings on them, some made by Haneul but a majority from her paternal grandmother whom they said she had inherited her talent from. Wonshik took a moment to admire them and turned to ask Haneul something when he found the two sisters in an intense whispered discussion. 

"Mr Kim, we must formally apologise for our previous encounter" Haneul started when she was sure that the elders hadn't followed them into the room as well. "We are aware that we were in the wrong by trespassing on your estate and our reasons aren't exactly justified -"

"I'm glad you brought her back" Wonshik said, interrupting her. "Sarangi. The puppy you brought back. She was one of the two that survived the litter. I was worried but you found her. So thank you" he told her. "Minah was the one who found her" Haneul said truthfully. "I'm grateful to both of you" he amended. Haneul nodded still guilty of her imagined faults.

"These watercolour works are lovely" he said, turning his attention back to the paintings. "Haneul is quite fond of painting" Minah said, nudging her cousin. "Quite apparent" he said with a smile. Haneul blushed, something that seemed to be a common occurrence with the man, and asked him if he would like to see the gardens as well.