An Invitation

The Foxglove Meadow

 

"My dearest daughter, you have a note" Minjun said, picking the letter off the tray Hanbyul was holding.

"For me?" Haneul asked in surprise. She took her leave from the pianoforte where she had been instructing Minah on Mozart's spring waltzes. 

"Yes. I do believe that Mr Kim has written to you" Minjun said, looking at the familiar address on the note. In the past it had been Minah who had received the notes. This time the note had come to her daughter. Soojung frowned and Minjun stood taller at the other woman's indignation.

"Thank you" Haneul dismissed Hanbyul before dismissing him. She took the letter from her mother, breaking the seal to read what the gentleman had sought to write. While they had glossed over the misunderstanding fairly well and began acquaintance anew, she had not expected a letter from him.

"My dear Miss Kim" the letter started. Haneul remained unaffected by the supposed familiarity in tone but decided that it was perhaps best not to read out loud.

 

My dear Miss Kim,

I write to you to inform you of the arrival of our common friend, Mr Jung from London. My dear friend has had a long journey and is pleased to be in the country again.

Mr Jung has expressed his great pleasure in the serendipituous happenstance of meeting you yesterday and regrettably not having the same pleasure of meeting Mr Lee. In lieu of the same, he has extended an invitation to Lee Jaehwan, whose acquaintance he wishes to make and to you and your cousins who he dearly hopes to see again as soon as is appropriate and possible. 

I write to you to ask, if you should be so inclined, to grace us for evening tea. Should you agree, it would give me great pleasure to host you at the estate today at four p.m.

With kind regards,

Kim Wonshik

 

"What does it say my dear?" Soojung asked. 

"It's an invitation to tea Ma'am. Mr Jung is back in Derbyshire and Wonshik has written to announce his arrival as well as invite close friends to tea this evening" Haneul summarized.

"It is quite short notice" Minjun frowned.

"It is, but I suppose it is to be an informal gathering Mama. Wonshik only invited us and Jaehwan from the wording of his letter" Haneul told her.

"And will you accept?" Minah asked. 

"I see no reason to decline" Haneul said, frowning at the letter. 

"Is Mr Jung old and boring like the rest of the people at the ball?" Sanghyuk asked, scrunching up his nose. 

"He is quite reserved. But I think you will like him, for he is rather tall" Haneul humoured the boy. 

"Well if Jaehwan has been invited then it would be a good opportunity for both of you to spend time together. The rains have let up so you till might have a pleasant evening at the gardens of the estate" Minjun said. Minah nodded. It would be a good opportunity to meet Sarangi again. Sooyeon had been training the puppy and it now did the cutest of tricks.

 

-

 

"The gardens are blooming rather well" Wonshik said as the company waited for tea to be served. Tables had been set up in the back yard with a view of the sprawling estate.

"Yes. I dearly love the addition of the hydrangeas. The bushes are coming along rather well" Haneul complimented. Wonshik was called away but Haneul stayed to admire the bushes, joined shortly by Sooyeon.

"Are you interested in horticulture Miss Kim?" Sooyeon asked.

"Not personally I must confess. My grandmother was. In fact the cottage is named after her favourite flowers. She would tell me stories by her knee when I was a small child" Haneul told her. "And please, do not be so formal my dear. Call my Haneul."

"I am glad you say so, I do dearly wish to grow our acquaintance more" Sooyeon confessed. "From all the stories Minah told me, I feel like you our a sister to me already. It would be my honour to treat you as such."

"The pleasure shall be all mine to call you a sister. I do believe that Sanghyuk himself has declared you one" Haneul laughed.

"He is a spirited young booy, isn't he?" Sooyeon giggled.

"Quite. Even more so after seeing Jaehwan. They compliment each other quite well due to their boyish charms" Haneul said. She smirked when Sooyeon blushed. Good. So Sooyeon had noted the charms in question. Perhaps her dear friend did stand a chance.

"And to speak of the devl himself. It looks like our dear friend has joined us. Perhaps we should rejoin our company Miss Kim?" Haneul suggested.

"I would be a terrible host if I declined now wouldn't I?" Sooyeon asked shyly.

"The most incorrigible" Haneul declared and the two girls laughed.

"I am afraid the manner of your indiscrete looks suggest that I am the cause of your great mirth and good spirits" Jaehwan said, bowing as he approached the two women. Sooyeon and Haneul curtseyed in response.

"Sooyeon was merely telling me about the new installation in the gardens" Haneul said. "Perhaps she would like to show you the same."

"There is not much to say about hydrangeas I am afraid" Sooyeon said. 

"I am sure the rest of the garden is quite intriguing. I have never been given a tour" Jaehwan offered.

"Then I shall take my leave and tend to my cousins. Excuse me won't you?" Haneul asked sweetly. Jaehwan glared at her while Sooyeon blushed, both wishing they had the company of their common friend to reduce the awkwardness, Haneul swiftly made her exit to the rest of the company. Taekwoon was engaged in a game with Sanghyuk and Minah had been conversing with Wonshik till Haneul approached.

"Miss Kim! Minah and I were just talking of you" Wonshik said.

"All good things I hope" Haneul replied.

"It could be no other way. Why don't you join us?" he asked, indicating the seat next to him. 

"Wonshik has been telling me of the fine teas from his warehouse in London. He has ventured into the business" Minah told him. 

"A brave effort. Everyone seems to want to be in the tea business now. It is a growing field" Haneul said. "Though not without its own considerable difficulties I'm told."

"You're not wrong about that Ma'am. Pray tell me more of your interest in business" Wonshik said, surprised by her interest. Minah had been polite but Haneul had seemed more knowledgeable and more opinionated.

"Sooyeon! Minah! Come play with us!" Sanghyuk called. The two girls had their attention diverted. Wonshik waved her off before Minah could make an apologetic excuse. She followed to where her brother was, joined by Jaehwan and Sooyeon who distracted him.

"How are you Miss Han?" Taekwoon asked her.

"Quite well. How about you Mr Jung? Have you been keeping well?" Minah asked.

"As fine as I can be Miss Han. I have had the pleasure of increasing company in the countryside. Unexpected but pleasurable" he said.

"Indeed. And how do you find it?" Minah asked him.

"Curious. Lee Jaehwan is not the man I expected him to be" Taekwoon said.

"And what did you expect Mr Jung?" Minah asked. Taekwoon had no answer to that question. He simply bent down and scratched Sarangi's ear, the latter lapping up the attention.

"Did you expect Haneul's friend to be of a more somber nature? I have no doubt that he was introduced this way to you" Minah said candidly.

"He was introduced differently" Taekwoon admitted.

"As a potential suitor and fiance then?" Minah asked bluntly.

"As an acquaintance. To assume such would be a great embarrassment on your sister for there has been no announcement made" Taekwoon said firmly.

"No but it is as good as declared. This news does not surprise you?" Minah asked.

"No. I had come to believe the same but as mentioned, I did not wish to presume" Taekwoon confessed.

"If I may be bold to presume and pray you forgive such a great sin to you, is it because you are disappointed at having lost the chance to propose your own courtship of my fair sister?" Minah asked.

"I see that you've been talking to Wonshik" Taekwoon said. "He is misinformed and I must disabuse you of this notion. My actions and intentions have been greatly misconstrued."

"You believe my cousin is not worthy of your attention then?" Minah asked, hotly.

"Rather that she is worthy of much more than what I can offer should I have ever been inclined so" Taekwoon said glancing at Wonshik and Haneul discussing something in great raptures.

"You are a fine fool in love then" Minah declared. She huffed and she carried Sarangi away leaving Taekwoon to sigh.