Impossible And Improbable

The Foxglove Meadow

 

"I'm so glad to be finally here" Minah exclaimed as she fell on her bed. "Me too. Was the journey hard?" Haneul asked, brushing her hair. "Extremely long and boring when all you have to do is listen to verses from the Bible" Minah grumbled. "I'd rather read novels." "Get a taste of the more sensational literature" Haneul teased. Minah blushed bright red. two summers ago, Minah's friends had secretly brought her literature clearly meant for a more mature audience. While she had intended to dispose of it as quickly as possible, Haneul had chanced upon it before she could follow through with her plan. Ever since then Haneul had about her reading choices in private.

"I am very sure that you've read more extensively than I have" Minah shot back. "Indeed" Haneul agreed out of spite. "For shame young miss Kim. For shame" Minah said, imitating the haughty tone of her instructor. "I am quite sure that your governess doesn't sound like that" Haneul giggled. "The words slur over the years you get to keep the acquaintance" Minah agreed. "You are incorrigible" Haneul laughed out loud. "Every woman should have a scandalous secret side" Minah said with a sniff. One might have almost thought she was talking of a well fitting corset or a blue ribbon bonnet.

"Maybe the society here will just attribute my wild nature to effects of being a London woman" Minah decided. "Indeed. We are inclined to denounce the rather lot of you as frivolous decadent beings" Haneul said promptly. "Come let me brush your hair" she offered. Minah who had taken to frowning on the last sentence, let it by and sat by the edge of the bed while Haneul stood behind her. It soothed one's mind. Even Minah, despite her stubborn curly hair. Haneul was perhaps the only woman with enough patience in the world after her mother. Soojung believed that every lady must be capable of taking care of her own hair and hence never bothered pampering her ward. at first Minah would feel guilty about Haneul's struggles but the elder had persevered and this was now a nightly routine for the two girls.

"I can't help but wonder about the season" Minah confessed. With her own debut coming up soon, she had grown curious. Her mother and Soojung never entertained her long on the topic. Sometimes Haneul would write to her and tell her about the balls she attended. But that would only leave her curious and curiouser. "Well, I can imagine that the season is more glamorous in London with many handsome men and women" Haneul said. "There are only a modest number of families here. And almost everyone knows everyone else. The men are gentlemanly and women are friendly enough for polite conversations." 

"Do you have a beau?" Minah asked suddenly. "Unfortunately no" Haneul said, casually brushing her hair. "Why?" Minah asked. "Well... all the young men are at university and everyone else is too old or married" Haneul explained. "There must be one good looking man you like!" Minah cried out. Haneul blushed but shook her head. "But you must have a full dance card at balls" Minah assured her. "Some times but none from any suitors" Haneul told her. "Then they must be blind" Minah asserted indignantly. Haneul ruffled her hair before she began braiding it. "Maybe in the morning you can bring the topic up with Mother. She was quote distressed too" Haneul said mischievously. "I shall! w must find you a rich beau. If I am doomed to be married then you should too" Minah said with a pout. "Maybe I am meant to die an old spinster" Haneul said imitating Soojung. "Doomed to be some horrid child's governess" Minah piped up causing both the girls to laugh again.

"But can you imagine it? Being the mistress of a grand mansion. something like the Chatsworth Estate" Minah said dreamily. "The Duke's son is younger than your brother" Haneul told her. "I could wait that long" Minah nodded to herself. Sanghyuk was only five years younger than her. The duke's son would be 7 years younger. She'd have to wait ten to twelve years before he could court her. Haneul rolled her eyes at the thought process but continued to braid her hair. "Maybe the Duke will invite his neighbours for a ball during your stay here" Haneul said congenially. "I hope so! I dearly wish to see the place" Minah sighed. "Then I suggest you immediately becoming more charming to eight your olds" Haneul told her. The two girls broke into a fit of giggles as they got ready for bed.

Improbable and impossible things were most amusing fodder for dreams.