A Quadrille And A Baroque II/II

The Foxglove Meadow

 

"I did not know that Jaehwan had such affection for dancing" Minah said, sitting down next to her cousin. She had just returned from a dance with the aforementioned man and wished to take a moment to catch her breath. 

"Jaehwan loves dancing. He has a passion for the arts, be it dancing or singing. I believe he did take violin lessons at one point, but he always refused to play for me. So he must be some level of proficient in them now but I do not know how much" Haneul told her.

Minah nodded. "And how do you feel now?" she asked, noting how her cousin was visibly trying not to look exhausted. 

"I believe the exhaustion must be catching up to me" Haneul admitted. "Which is a terrible shame since the ball is only half way done."

"Private balls are more engaging since you know the people around you more intimately" Minah observed.

"Oh yes. There is a measure of relief I feel in close company. But I wouldn't write off the excitement of a large ball till you have been to one dear cousin" Haneul said conspiratorially. 

"That sounds like a perfect setting for my scandalous novel" Minah declared. Haneul laughed, drawing some attention from the people close by.

"I believe Sanghyuk doesn't share in our merriment. Where is my dear young brother?" she asked, looking around.

"Stolen from us by Kim Sooyeon and Lee Jaehwan" Minah said, gesturing to a small group to the other end of the room. "Jaehwan and Sooyeon took it upon themselves to teach him some simple dances. I believe we should eventually rescue them from his sullen tantrums."

"Balls are too formal an affair for young children. Sanghyuk is merely a boy" Haneul said with a frown.

"Yes well perhaps next time he shan't protest so much to attend one with us" Minah said, shaking her head in exasperation.

Haneul was about to suggest that they retrieve their brother but she noticed company and stopped. 

"I hope I wasn't intruding. You seemed to be engaged in your conversation ma'am" Wonshik said, bowing to her and Minah. the two sisters stood up and curtsied.

"We were merely talking abut how Sooyeon has taken upon a Herculean task of teaching Sanghyuk to dance. He is a wilful boy and it would require a lot of patience" Minah explained.

"I must correct you there Miss Kim. My sister has a similar temperament. I believe they would both give up soon should they be displeased with the task" Wonshik said.

"You deceive us surely. Sooyeon has a sweet temperament" Haneul countered. Wonshik simply smiled and gestured to the group where Sanghyuk had walked and huffed while sitting on an empty chair. Haneul smiled at him, when Jaehwan came to retrieve him.

"I believe I must rescue our host from my brother's tantrums lest he fall out of his good graces. If you will, sir" Minah said, curtsying and taking his leave. Wonshik bowed his head, moving out of her way. Her gown sashayed as she walked, clearly hinting to him that she had left for a purpose and that she begged he would make good use of the opportunity he had.

"Sooyeon is tenacious, I will admit" Wonshik said, moving closer to her. The current dance was at it's crescendo and the music grew louder, forcing them to move closer to be audible. 

"She is a lovely woman. Almost everyone in our company is positively taken by her" Haneul said. Wonshik smiled proudly at his sister, a warm paternal feeling evident by his expression.

"Will you do me the honour of the next dance?" he asked, when Haneul moved away, intending to join her cousins.

"The next is a baroque I am afraid. I am not quite proficient at it" she confessed. 

"I could teach you" he offered. Haneul hesitated, unsure of how well she could keep up given her lack of knowledge and her current health. But she knew that a refusal would be too impolite and she couldn't hamper Minah's prospects.

"It's quite an ask I assure you" she said, taking his hand and walking to the dance floor. The couples had cleared the area and only a few were left on the floor. It wasn't a popular style in these parts, but often included as an option of respite for those who wished for one.

"I must confess that it is nice to see you again Miss Kim. Are you keeping well?" he started.

"As well as possible sir" she replied. She frowned as she focused on following his steps.

"I feel the need to apologise to you for what was said at our previous engagement" he said, loweirng his voice.

"As you should" Haneul said, feeling vindicated. This surprised Wonshik who had not expected such a strong response from the generally sweet spoken woman. 

"But it is not me you owe the apology to. I do not believe Mr Jung would have found it suitable for you to suppose such an affection on his part. It was neither accurate not proper" she continued.

"I have realised my mistake, yes" he affirmed.

"I sure hope that you will realise that he is true feelings towards me are nothing of the kind you assume them to be. He has never intended on forming any romantic attachment with me and most certainly never informed me so. You mistake friendship for something more and I pray that you do not embarrass him with the proposal" she concluded, feeling hot with indignation. Wonshik's own embarrassment was a sign that he had taken her admonishing to heart. The rest of the turn was silent.

"I did not wish to offend you again. Yet I find myself at a cause for more embarrassment" he said awkwardly.

"Perhaps, it be best if this matter was never brought up or discussed" Haneul agreed. She had felt sorry for being so harsh on the poor man but she couldn't let the misconception continue.

"Will you allow me to say that it would still be an honour to have a sister like you someday? Taekwoon has been an older brother to me in many ways and I simply wished the best for him" he said ruefully.

"I shall take the sentiment as a compliment and say no more" Haneul said sagely.

"Won't you come to the estate sometime? Your cousin is a frequent visitor but I am afraid that our acquaintance never grew beyond it" he said. "The gardens have bloomed after the rains and I believe you would find them a sight lovely to sketch. Or if you wished it so, you could stay indoors. Sooyeon has taken to the pianoforte again and would greatly admire audience to her endeavour."

"The offer sounds lovely. Perhaps, at an opportune time, I will make you a sketch of the estate" Haneul agreed. If he had taken a step towards mending their relations, then she did not see why she should bear a grudge to the man.

"I never took to the arts quite as much as Sooyeon did" he said thoughtfully.

"It is never too late to start" Haneul replied.

"I have other engagements unfortunately. Perhaps when I were to settle down, I would have the peace of mind to pursue music" he mused to himself.

"Is it an improper digression to ask if marital bliss is too far away?" Haneul asked him. It would be good to know if he harboured any such intentions for Minah or someone else. Haneul would sensibly encourage or discourage her cousin based on this knowledge.

"I am afraid not" he admitted, looking towards his sister. Haneul nodded when she noticed his gaze linger on Minah before returning to her.

"Do you play an instrument Mr Kim?" she asked, detracting attention from the controversial topic.