A Measure Of Kindness

The Foxglove Meadow

 

 

"You must pardon the intrusion madam" Taekwoon said, the moment the party had taken refuge under the porch. "Yes. The trespassing was unintentional" Wonshik added, visibly embarrassed by it. "I assure you that this has caused us no trouble at all" Haneul said.

"Hanbyul, please take their coats. And start a fire in the living room fireplace. Perhaps a warm cup of tea for us all" she instructed. "Right this way sir" Hanbyul said with a short bow as he led the men inside. "I will be with you in a moment shortly" Haneul said. The men nodded and followed Hanbyul. 

"Jieun, add enough food for two more at the lunch table please. I will be inviting the gentlemen to eat here. Use the fine china. Also please alert Minah that we have guests. She can join us in the living room along with Sarangi" Haneul told Jieun, the maid attending to her. "Do my clothes look appropriate?" she asked as an after thought. "You didn't get very wet or muddy Ma'am. But your hair is ruined" Jieun told her. "I shall fix myself. Send Miyoung to help me please" Haneul said, quickly removing the hair pins from her braid.

She took a moment to change out of the dress as she had mud along the hem from the rain. Her hair took long to dry and she had no choice but to leave it open and brush it, hoping for the best. She frowned when she realised Minah wasn't in the room. Perhaps she had taken Sarangi to the shed below. She quickly made her way downstairs, not wishing to leave her guests unattended for long. Fortunately, Jieun had already served the gentlemen some tea and Hanbyul had given them some dry clothes to change into.

"You are too kind" Wonshik said, the moment she entered. "You flatter me with praise I don't deserve" Haneul refuted modestly. "I was relieved to know that Sarangi was alright. She's still a child after all" Wonshik said. "Indeed but she has grown quite healthily from the time I last saw her" Haneul said so. "I believe Minah will bring her along. I've sent for her just now. She must have gone to the outhouses. Do you keep pets Mr Jung?" she asked Taekwoon, trying to include him as well.

"My sister keeps a cat. My wife wanted to keep a dog but that didn't come to pass" he told her. "I must apologise. I was under the impression that you were unmarried. Is your wife in London, Mr Jung?" Haneul asked him. She instantly knew she must have made a mistake because Wonshik’s face turned hard while Taekwoon's grew sad. "She passed away two years ago. There were complications in childbirth" he spoke quietly. 

"I am terribly sorry" Haneul said. She could tell that the conversation had affected him deeply and felt distressed by her stupidity. This explained his behaviour in her eyes. He seemed a happy gentleman but must have been withdrawn since the death of his wife. His wife and child. Wretched, wretched misfortune to fall upon someone of such good nature. Haneul's heart went out to him. 

"Please don't be distressed. You didn't know" Taekwoon said, noting her sadness. He put his hand on hers to comfort her but pulled away when the door opened. "Minah" Haneul remarked, when the girl entered the room carrying the puppy. "Pardon my tardiness. I was giving Sarangi a tour of the house" she told the group. She gently rocked the puppy in her arms who had fallen asleep after the exhausting playing earlier. Small talk resumed, the mood of the room considerably lighter. Haneul noted that Taekwoon hadn't spoken a word since however.

"Would you stay for lunch?" Haneul asked the two of them. "We can't possibly infringe upon your kindness any further" Taekwoon said. "Yes. You've done more than enough for us" Wonshik added. "Do stay. The pleasure of company improves the taste of food considerably!" Minah insisted. Haneul nodded along, hoping they would accept the invitation and not part on the sad terms.

"I don't believe I have introduced you to my cousin either Mr Jung. Lunch would be wonderful to build an acquaintance over" Haneul added. Taekwoon shared a look with Wonshik before agreeing to accept the invitation. His soft voice visibly surprised Minah, who took a moment to stare at him. Haneul coughed to get her attention and she schooled her emotions.

"This is my cousin, Han Minah. Our fathers are brothers" Haneul explained. "And this is Jung Taekwoon. A good friend of mine from London" Wonshik added. "A pleasure to make your acquaintance Sir" Minah said with a small curtsey. Or as much as she could with a puppy in her arms. "The pleasure is all mine madam" Taekwoon said, with a bow. "Perhaps I can take Sarangi off your arms" Wonshik suggested. "I don't wish to wake the poor thing up" she frowned.

"I also don't want to part with her at all" she added conspiratorially, making Wonshik and Taekwoon laugh. The sound did eventually wake the puppy up who yipped when he saw the familiar faces. Taekwoon gestured to it and it jumped from Minah's lap and ran over to him. Minah protested and Haneul switched places with her to let her sit next to Taekwoon and play with her.

"Thank you for the invitation" Wonshik told Haneul. "Really, Mr Kim. I didn't intend on turning you out of the door in such weather" Haneul protested. "I believe you are too generous a soul for that. But the earnest appreciation is for my friend" Wonshik told her. "I didn't know. I didn't wish to remind him of such a terrible tragedy" Haneul apologised. "You didn't know. And it isn't the sort of thing anyone would tell you in such a short acquaintance as ours" he consoled her.

"But you did save him from a melancholy moment. Every time in the past he has shut himself away from discussing the death of his wife and child. I was afraid he would do the same if left to his devices" Wonshik confessed. "I can only imagine what he feels. But if there is anything we can do, you are free to ask us of it. Even if it is something as simple as company during a tough time" Haneul assured him. Wonshik smiled at her. "Your true beauty lies in your kindness madam" he said softly, making Haneul blush.

"I do believe that some of the appreciation is misplaced. His occupation with Sarangi and Minah must be doing wonders for his mood to smile so much" she observed idly, turning away to look at the others in the room. Taekwoon was smiling at Minah who was cooing at Sarangi while scratching her ear. The pair couldn't seem happier and Haneul understood that like Minah, Taekwoon must also love dogs very much. She smiled as well, feeling oddly protective of her friend and happy at the return of his happiness. 

"Lunch is served Ma'am" Hanbyul announced knocking at the door that had been left open. "After you, my lady" Wonshik said, with a twinkle in his eye as well. Haneul shook her head and led the way, talking to Wonshik while Minah and Taekwoon had begun conversations of their own.