A Quadrille And A Baroque I/II

The Foxglove Meadow

"How do you feel?" Minah asked, sitting by Haneul’s feet. The eldest of the two lay in bed, having fallen ill a few days ago. While she had felt better on waking up, her mother had insisted on her resting before the ball later that night. Jieun had brought her breakfast to her and Minah had accompanied her to see how her cousin was faring.

"Much better. I just haven't been able to sleep well" Haneul confessed. Minah nodded. She had often found her cousin turning or rising from bed at odd hours and had worried for her.

"Your worry shows my fair cousin. Don't worry. I will be able to attend the ball tonight. After all, I believe you would rather have me to guide you on your social faux passes than have governess stare you down the entire night" Haneul laughed. Minah scowled but couldn't hide her relief. Haneul definitely sounded better and her company was very wanted tonight.

"If nothing else, I shall have interesting company to talk to" Minah thought out loud. 

"I have heard quite the contrary. Jaehwan told me that he has invited Kim Wonshik and his family to the ball. As I understand, you have become fast friends with his sister" Haneul said.

"She is far more interesting than most women I have known" Minah declared. "Present company notwithstanding" she added hastily.

"Any offense if intended, was not taken. Where is Sanghyuk this morning?" Haneul asked.

"At breakfast. I think Uncle intends on taking him around town today" Minah told her. "Miss Park and Aunt Minjun are fixing your dress. I think they wished to add golden buttons to the back."

"It's terribly embellished already. I should look very funny" Haneul said, in great distress over the state of her gown. 

"It was a very pretty colour. Lee Jaehwan won't be able to look away" Minah said conspiratorially. 

"That is not my intention" Haneul protested. Minah smiled knowingly at the telltale blush that was not from her illness at all, surely.

"Has he asked for your hand yet? Heaven knows everyone is anticipating it" Minah said, pulling her feet up to the bed.

"No.... we haven't come to any such arrangement yet. And I don't intend on acting in any way to encourage him lest I make a fool of myself openly" Haneul said. "And that means I forbid you from any such behaviour as well."

"But Hannie!" Minah exclaimed scandalously. "How can you believe me capable of such evil intentions? All I have ever had is your goodwill in my heart. I would merely... wish to confirm his intentions inconspicuously."

"We shall have none of that tonight" Haneul said firmly.

"Oh how will I ever write my scandalous novel now?" Minah exclaimed dramatically. 

"Start your own affair with Mr Kim. Park Soojung might even encourage it" Haneul said with a sniff. The two sisters started giggling till the help came to clear the trays.

 

 

 

"The house is quite silent for a ball" Minjun commented for the lack of anything else to say. She held Hyunshik’s hand as he helped her down. He helped Soojung next and Sanghyuk jumped down from the front of the carriage and cheered as he bounced about.

"Uncle Uncle. On the way back, can I ride the horse?" Sanghyuk asked, making Hyunshik laugh.

"Carriage horses can't be ridden dear boy. But perhaps tomorrow we shall go riding" Hyunshik agreed.

"Han Sanghyuk. Try not to be the reason that the silence is disturbed" Soojung admonished. Sanghyuk scowled before turning to help his sister.

"Mind the hem Minah" Soojung said as Haneul helped Minah lift her skirts to an appropriate height lest they be stuck on the carriage door. Minah nodded, her nervousness showing in the tight grip of her satin skirt.

"You're here! I thought I heard a carriage" Jaesuk's booming voice reached the company before he did.

"My dear Mrs Kim. Looking lovely as always. Jaehwan come greet your guests" Jaesuk said, shaking hands with Minjun. He moved over to talk to Sanghyuk and Soojung while Minah made way to let Jaehwan help Haneul.

"You look lovely" he whispered to her as she stepped out.

"Thank you" Haneul said, aware of his hand that held hers. His grip had always been strong but today it was gentle. Jaesuk guided the company up the porch and to the house and Jaehwan led the way as well.

"Are you well? I was worried when you fell ill after our meeting the other day" Jaehwan said,  leading her up the steps. 

"Yes. Quite. I am afraid I was just exhausted and it must have worsened with the cold weather" Haneul explained.

"Well I am glad you are here tonight" Jaehwan said with a smile. Haneul blushed and pulled her hand away. She rejoined the group but not before sparing a last glance at Jaehwan who was called away to greet the other guests arriving downstairs. 

The family moved to the ballroom. The tables had been set up for supper towards a corner while most of the ballroom had been cleared to make space for dancing. The musicians were playing a slow tempo piano solo so as to afford a congenial environment for guests to mingle. 

"I didn't know that the Lee family was rich too" Minah confessed, taking Haneul in confidence. 

"They inherited the house. The family would be the wealthiest after Kim Wonshik’s" Haneul told her. "It should explain why everyone is so eager to see me married into this family."

"I pity you terribly. Being forced to marry into a rich family and living a comfortable life" Minah said making a face. Haneul laughed and Minah sighed.

"I still can't believe that he hasn't asked for your hand. What is he waiting for? He is so clearly smitten by you" Minah said, gesturing across the room. Jaehwan had been looking their way and had turned when Minah had caught him.

"This isn't the time or place for this subject" Haneul said firmly. "Besides, I see that Sooyeon and Mrs Kim have arrived. Perhaps you should go greet them."

"A lady cannot walk up to a male acquaintance without an . For shame Miss Kim" Minah preached. 

"In a private ball you may. I believe Sooyeon will be delighted to have you dance with her brother. I do not doubt that she sees you as a sister potentially" Haneul replied. 

"I don't think Wonshik has any such intentions" Minah said. 

"A single man in possesion of a good fortune must be in the want of a wife. Or so society would have you believe" Haneul told Minah.

"Are you both going to gossip the entire night?" Sanghyuk asked crossly when he stood in front of them with his arms folded.

"What would you rather have us do?" Haneul asked playfully.

"They told me to sit down because the dances would begin soon. But I don't want to sit down and gossip" Sanghyuk protested.

"Troubling Jaehwan to tell you stories counts as gossiping too" Minah said knowingly. Sanghyuk huffed indignantly as he sat down next to Minah.

"Well, if you had agreed to learn then maybe you could have asked your sister to a dance" Haneul suggested. 

"Dances are very boring" Sanghyuk said, slouching in his seat. A warning cough had both Minah and Sanghyuk sit up straight. 

"Maybe you'll like them more when you grow up" she laughed.

"Dances are quite exhilarating and enjoyable" Jaehwan said, standing next to the group.

"Have you been eavesdropping on us Mr Lee?" Minah teased. 

"I have ulterior motives" Jaehwan confessed. "I came to ask your sister for her first dance of the night and heard the topic being debated."

"Would you do me the honour?" Jaehwan asked, stretching his hand to Haneul’s. 

"I thought you would dance with your mother first" Haneul said, hesitating.

"My father takes that honour today. And if I remember correctly I was promised a quadrille" he said playfully. Haneul glared at him while Sanghyuk groaned and Minah laughed. Haneul heard Sanghyuk complaining as she took Jaehwan’s hand and he led her to the dance floor.

There were only a few people on the floor since the ball was just beginning. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Sooyeon approach Minah who received her enthusiastically. Jaehwan followed her line of vision and smiled at the company before looking back to her.

"Miss Kim is... quite vivacious" Jaehwan said as the dance started.

"She has a passion for life that can rival Minah’s.  It's a rare quality" Haneul agreed. "Or maybe not so. I'm afraid that of all the young women you have made an acquaintance with, I am the least interesting of the lot."

"Shall I describe your lovely qualities? Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?" Jaehwan asked dramatically as they moved from one partner to the other in the second sequence of the dance.

"Indeed good Sir. How had I forgotten your passion for the finer things in life?" Haneul laughed.

"Oh you know me so well" Jaehwan said with a grin. Haneul shook her head, exchanging friendly banter with him. If she had doubts about how embellished her skirts would be, they were gone after she observed how easily they swayed with the slightest movement. It made the oblique dancing feel quite pleasant and she felt foolishly happy for it. 

"Dance the baroque with me as well?" Jaehwan asked when the dance ended and they curtsied.

"As the host tonight you must have one dance with each of your guests at least. May I recommend the vivacious Miss Kim?" Haneul teased. 

"You are a cruel lady, Miss Kim. Very cruel" Jaehwan said with a sniff. 

 

 

---

A/N - I shall be uploading part 2 tomorrow or the day after. Have a merry Christmas every one!