Reality Checks

The Foxglove Meadow

"Ironically, one can always rely on men to be unreliable in times of need" Minjun huffed as she laced Haneul's corset. Haneul gasped as the cords were tied a tad bit too tight for her to breathe in. She had a slim waist but a more petite figure was the norm. She was already too tall for her mother's taste. Gid forbid she be too plump as well.

"Especially your father. Who asked him to leave to London before an important night like this?" she complained. "It was important Mama" Haneul tried to reason. She held onto the bed post as Minjun tied the laces up on top and smoothed out her petticoats. "I understand child. But his presence is important tonight as well" Minjun insisted.

Haneul dismissed her complaints for her mind was occupied. She knew what her mother was referring to. Tonight was the first ball that was to mark the beginning of the season in Derbyshire. As a result, almost all parties were expected to be in attendance. While it was perfectly alright for a lady to approach her acquaintances, she would still need her husband, brother or father for introductions to the new ones. Even if those acquaintances were newly established. Like Kim Wonshik. And Minjun did not want to lose an opportunity to secure a dance between Kim Wonshik and her tonight.

"Why have you not washed your hair?" Minjun asked angrily. "You washed it for me Mama" Haneul reminded her. "Why is it back to this atrocious state? Why do you not brush it properly? Do you wish to traipse about with a nest on your head?" Minjun asked her. She continued to rant while she dressed Haneul up. Haneul called for a maid to help her mother as she was instructed to sit in the hall and not move about lest she disturb the pins in her hair. 

"You have to understand Haneul. You must look flawless tonight" Minuun stressed. "I know Mama" she replied. "You do not. Han Minah can afford to live life as a spinster because she has a brother who is obligated to support her. You do not have that luxury. And you are soon to be eighteen. If you do not have a suitor soon you will be too old!" Minjun exclaimed. 

Haneul bit her lip not wanting to further the argument. In her opinion, whatever had happened earlier this day was only natural. Her mother's frustrations were based on the unrealistic expectations she had set herself. Not to mention the animosity that had cropped up in the house.

It had begun on the evening of Wonshik’s visit. While he had admired Haneul's skills as a polite gentleman would, he had formed an undeniable attachment to her cousin. It was a bond shared over their love for similar books and pet animals. In hindsight, this was to be expected. The more she had learnt about Kim Wonshik, the more she had come to expect an easy friendship between the pair. Minah could put anyone at ease in conversations while Haneul took a while to increase her acquaintance.

Besides, after their first meeting in the gardens of the estate she hadn't expected him to take kindly to her. What sort of man thought well of a girl who ran around wildly with her hair tangled with wild flowers? Or who had so blatantly disregarded his personal space, all while trespassing on his home. No, Haneul hadn't expected him to be pleased. Minah on the other hand had been the woman who had returned his beloved pet to him with care.

And as a result, it had been Minah who had gotten the note over tea, inviting her to the estate to see how the mentioned pet was growing. It was a simple note but it had been enough to fuel the thoughts of her mother and Minah's governess. Soojung had immediately seized the opportunity for an advantageous match for her ward while Minjun had taken offense at his lack of propriety and the lack of importance to Haneul. Her mother had never had as many reasons to dislike her cousins as she did now.

"You look pretty today" Minah said when she came down to the sunroom Haneul had been sitting in. "Thank you. I'm sorry you can't come along with us tonight" Haneul told her. Minah nodded sadly. While Soojung insisted that Minah be allowed to attend, Minjun had sharply pointed out that she was to come into society at the season in London. Starting the season in Derbyshire was probably not what her mother had in mind. Soojung had been forced to admit defeat and resign to writing to her mother about it.

"You shall have all the dances I wish to have. Maybe Wonshik will ask you to multiple dances tonight" Minah teased. Haneul smiled uneasily. "Perhaps... You mustn't misjudge his intentions. He has been perfectly gentlemanly and nothing more. My mother had been deceived by her own imagination but I do not feel the same" she told her.

"But I thought you liked him" Minah frowned. "And I am sure he likes you" she added. "He has never expressly paid more attention to me over anyone. And we do not know hom well enough to judge what any level of attentiveness means. He may just be a friendly gentleman" she reasoned. 

"But he does admire your paintings and he did ask you what you thought of the gardens" Minah frowned. "Anyone would have asked me the same. Also, he didn't invite me to his estate Minah. He invited you. By an extension of that logic, the target of his affections and attentions is you" Haneul told her.

"Surely you don't believe that" Minah said crossly. "I do not believe anything. I am asking you not to assume" Haneul told her. "Well that breaks my heart because I was hoping for a torrid affair and a scandalous wedding that I could record into a novel" Minah laughed. "I am ashamed. I am a proper young lady Miss Han!" Haneul protested. The awkwardness dissolved quickly as it often did with the sisters, but it left a bitter aftertaste of doubts.

"I shall tell you all about the ball at breakfast" Haneul promised. Minah nodded and Hanbyul came to fetch her. Haneul wished her goodnight and left, leaving Minah to her own thoughts.

What did she know of Kim Wonshik’s intentions?