A Waltz Of Words

The Foxglove Meadow

Double update so please read the previous chapter as well


 

 

 

 

"My dear Mrs Lee" Minjun wished shaking hands with her friend. Minjun and Mrs Lee, or Younhee, had been childhood friends. They had shifted into the same neighbourhood after years of separation and had been inevitably attached to each other at all the balls last season. Haneul did like the woman but found there was not much to do in the company of the elder women. Yet she couldn’t wander off.

"Mrs Kim. A pleasure to run into you again" a smooth voice said. Haneul instantly recognised Kim Wonshik but was surprised at the presence of another gentleman with him. He was rather tall, just like him and had pale skin and deep brown eyes. His stature was intimidating and just from the outfit, Haneul could tell that he was well endowed like Wonshik.

"Ah yes. I  do not know if you have made the acquaintance of my dear friend Lee Younhee yet" Minjun said. "I don't think I have had the pleasure" Wonshik said with a smile. "Ah well, this is Lee Younhee. She is a childhood friend but her family moved to the countryside on last year. Younhee, this is Kim Wonshik of the Chatsworth Estate" Minjun explained, introducing the two. 

"Pleasure to make your acquaintance Ma'am. May I also introduce my friend Jung Taekwoon?  He is staying at the estate for a brief moment and I insisted he come" Wonshik said, introducing his friend. Taekwoon nodded at the woman who didn't know how to respond to his cold demeanour. "And this is Miss Kim Haneul. The one I told you about. Mrs Kim's daughter" Wonshik added when he noticed Haneul. Haneul curtsied when Taekwoon bowed his head. 

 "Is Miss Han here as well?" Wonshik asked her. "I'm afraid not" Minjun interjected. "Minah is at home I am afraid" Haneul quickly covered lest her mother's displeasure be exposed. "I hope she is well" he said worriedly. "She is indeed. She's just too young for the balls yet. I am hoping her guardians allow her to attend the ones after. The season is just starting after all. She may join us yet" Haneul assured him. She noticed Taekwoon give her a strange look but decided to ignore it. He seemed a strange gentleman and she did not know how to venture further without being too intrusive.

The music started to play as the dances had begun. Haneul idly fiddled with a bracelet, missing the optional dance card that usually hung off it. Since the number of families in attendance was few, the hosts had decided not to use the traditional dance cards. The group observed the dances in interest while Younhee and Minjun alternated telling Wonshik who was who in the room. He had made a few mutual acquaintances but had not seen many people beyond the Sunday church.

"Perhaps, you'll oblige me with a dance Miss Kim" Taekwoon asked directly. The soft and gentle voice was what surprised her more than his sudden forwardness. "I'd be honoured, sir" she replied. He nodded and stood next to her while the other three talked. Haneul did her best to contain her curiosity while trying to maintain a civil conversation. 

"How do you find the countryside Mr Jung?" she asked him. "It's quite pleasant. More quiet than the cities for certain" he replied. Haneul didn't quite believe that anyone's voice could be so gentle and for a moment she swore it wasn't him speaking. But he was and while he wasn't a conversationalist, she found their further conversations quite amicable.

He led her to the dance floor and they took their position amongst the other pairs. It was a simple reel, opened by their hostess in whose honour the ball had been organised. Haneul had a soft corner for dances and found that Taekwoon was quite fluid on his feet. As they wove in and out with ease, Haneul resumed their conversation. 

"What do you do for a living Mr Jung?" Haneul asked him. Wonshik hadn't said much in terms of introductions. "I run a trading house that imports tea. That was how Wonshik and I met" he told her. "Have you been acquaintances for very long?" she asked him. "Long enough. We have known each other from school despite me being several years his senior" he told her. 

"What do you think of him?" Taekwoon asked her. The music stopped and they bowed but Taekwoon interjected and asked her for a second dance and Haneul agreed, wanting to continue the conversation. "I have known him for too little a time to make any remarks on his character. So far, he has been amicable and friendly" Haneul told him. He nodded to himself.

"I suppose he must have wished to ask you for the next dance" Taekwoon said trying to spot his friend. "He has no dearth of dancing partners in the room tonight" Haneul dismissed it. "Not all of his acquaintance" he noted. "Not for very long I suppose" Haneul remarked. "It doesn't take very long for people to get acquainted with each other in such a small neighbourhood."

"I don't suppose you will believe me if I tell you that he doesn't take kindly to strangers" he told her. Haneul was surprised as predicted. "Do not get me wrong. He will talk to everyone in the room as a gentleman is required to. But there are only a few he does consider himself close to" Taekwoon said seriously. Haneul bit her lip. If what Taekwoon had said was true then all his special attention to Minah was definitely because he had felt something for her.

"I suppose I appear worse off" Taekwoon said in a congenial tone. "I thought you were perfectly fine" Haneul replied before her eyes widened and her hand flew to . Taekwoon laughed as he escorted her off the dance floor. Haneul's cheeks were pink. A shade that was deeper than the gown she currently had on.

"Making Taekwoon laugh on a first meeting is an interesting achievement my lady" Wonshik said as the two came off the floor. "I have discovered that she is quite an accomplished woman" Taekwoon said. He smiled again at Haneul who was still blushing from her slip up. "She is indeed. You must see her paintings some times" Wonshik agreed, looking at Taekwoon and then at Haneul and how Taekwoon's hand hadn't quite left hers yet.

"You must come to tea some time" Haneul added, remembering her manners. She mentally made a note to make Mama write an invitation along with their thank you notes tomorrow. "Someday. I believe it will be a sin to make her wait another dance without a partner" Taekwoon hinted. 

"Right. If I may, my lady?" Wonshik asked. "I'd be very flattered" she replied, her blush now replaced with a polite smile. As the dance ended Wonshik escorted her to the floor. She smiled at Taekwoon before leaving.

He had been an interesting acquaintance to make.