Of Restless Thoughts

The Foxglove Meadow

 

"You look thoughtful" Minah said, getting into bed next to Haneul. The candle had long since burnt out and the book in her lap lay forgotten. A closer inspection revealed that the book was upside down, a sight very uncharacteristic of her cousin. "I have a lot to think about" Haneul told her. She put the book away and lay down as well.

"Perhaps you'd like to talk about it?" Minah asked her gently. Haneul shook her head, opting to pull the blanket over her. Minah nodded, understanding that her cousin wasn't verbose when it came to her troubles. "I don't want to marry Lee Jaehwan" she spoke silently.

"Lee Jaehwan?! Did he already propose?" Minah asked her. "He hasn't. But I can see that our parents are very enthusiastic about it and knowing Jaehwan..." she trailed off. "You think he likes you?" Minah asked her. "I think... that he is rather attentive and affectionate to me but only because we were childhood friends long ago" she explained. "Or it is quite possible that he loves you for who you are now. And why is that a bad thing?" Minah asked.

"He barely knows me Minah. He remembers Haneul who was fourteen and would run around in the countryside to play with him. He doesn't know who I am as a woman. His affections are misplaced and to not disabuse him of the notion would be to deceive him" Haneul said, clutching onto her pillow. "And... I don’t think I will ever love him more than a friend or a close brother" she added, taking a deep breathe.

Minah let out a sigh. "Do you think, that perhaps you don't like Jaehwan or can't think of him in a romantic way because you might like someone else?" she asked carefully. Haneul frowned at Minah, not knowing what she was suggesting. "Someone like Jung Taekwoon?" Minah asked out right for she had never been one to mince her words.

"Why would you think that?" Haneul asked, her eyes widening at the prospect of it. "It's no secret that he is attentive to you. And he is a handsome and rich man who decidedly seeks you out for goodbyes. Maybe you aren't engaged but I wouldn't be wrong in assuming that a formal courtship wasn't far" Minah reasoned.

"You are mistaken Minah. He has never made any such intentions known to me. If he had any designs of marrying, no, courting me then they have been purely his own with no encouragement from me or my behaviour" Haneul refuted. "Consecutive dances and solitary walks together are hardly indicative of lack of interest" Minah pointed out. "I assure you that I remain unaware of any such engagement and I doubt even the slightest possibility of such a proposal" Haneul told her.

"For shame.You might be breaking a heart even if you don't know it" Minah sighed. "It is rather awful isn't it. Jung Taekwoon was rather handsome and charitable in character" Haneul conceded in a whisper. The two girls giggled trying to stifle the noise in the pillows. They stopped after a while, letting silence reign.

"Why don't you give Jaehwan a chance? If it really isn't meant to be then you can reject the engagement proposal" Minah told her. "It isn't that easy. I have no reason to say no save my lack of affections. Our families our close, Jaehwan is a good man who will keep me very happy" Haneul told her. "People learn to love each other in time. That's what Mama says" Minah told her.

"Perhaps-" Haneul stopped, cut off by the door to their room opening. It was Sanghyuk, in his nightwear, rubbing his eyes and walking into the room. "What's the matter Sanghyuk?" Minah asked, diverted by the interruption. "I can't sleep" he told her with a pout. "Why not?" Haneul asked with a frown. "Just can't" he replied with a shrug.

"Come sleep with us then" Minah said, making room between her and Haneul. Sanghyuk climbed up and lay down between them, immediately hugging Minah and falling asleep. "So much for not being sleepy" Minah laughed silently. Haneul just shook her head and gently his head. After a while they could hear his breathing slow down and Minah yawned herself. Haneul shifted to her hair and humming a lullaby for the two.

 

 

 

"Jaesuk has written to invite all of us to a private ball" Hyunshik told the family the next afternoon. "A private ball? I was under the assumption that the ball was to be public" Minjun said, frowning slightly. "I felt the same my dear but it isn't so. Also, Younhee has requested the presence of the entire family. Including Minah and Sanghyuk" he pointed out.

Haneul snuck a glance at her mother. She knew her father had asked her mother this in company so she couldn't say no. But that didn't mean that her mother was pleased by it. "When is it?" Minjun asked before saying anything. "In ten days' time" Hyunshik told them. "I suppose that means you both will need clothes. I am not sure that Minah has a proper gown or a proper shirt for Sanghyuk was brought along" she said. A lot more was implied in her manner but never voiced and it was a small victory for Hyunshik.

"Excellent. I believe Haneul and Soojung can accompany the two to the town to visit the seamstresses" he told them. "Indeed Papa" Haneul agreed. She looked around but Soojung wasn't here yet "That's settled then. I shall reply to Jaesuk promptly" Hyunshik said happily. Minjun went back to her knitting and Haneul to her bonnet and ribbons. She was happy that Minah was coming along as well. But she didn’t know what to do about Jaehwan.

It was a unique problem. She didn't want to be quick to judge. His affections were not unwelcome but something didn't quite feel right about it. Haneul just couldn't justify what she had told Minah last night. She dreaded the meeting because she didn't know what to do when she did meet him.

“Mama” she started hesitantly. “Yes dear?” Minjun asked. “Mama, what do you think of Lee Jaehwan?” Haneul asked her. “What am I supposed to think of him?” Minjun asked her, putting her knitting away and concentrating on Haneul. “As a person. He seems quite friendly and I do not know what to make of it” Haneul confessed honestly. “Jaehwan is a polite boy. He is friendly and you two have always been close. Do you have a reason to suspect his behaviour?” Minjun asked her. “No. I suppose not” Haneul lied.

“I see. Well he is a good mannered gentleman. A sweet and jovial temper too. He would keep any woman happy” Minjun told her. “One can see that his character is pre disposed to keep the people he loves happy” Haneul agreed. “You must be grateful to be amongst the ones he does favour” Minjun said, probing for something. “I am grateful for his continued friendship. I was rather surprised that he asked for me” Haneul told her. “I thought it was because of your continued correspondence” Minjun said.

“I assumed so as well. But… we barely know each other as we are now. I remember a younger Jaehwan who would always pull on my braids when we played and he remembers a Haneul who would follow him along because she was start struck by adventure. We are different people now” Haneul explained. “Is that a bad thing? And what prevents you two from increasing this knowledge now?” Minjun asked.

Haneul bit her lip before going back to her bonnet. It had been finished long ago and she had been fiddling with it because she had been restless since her discussion with Minah last night. “Invite him for tea. Write to him today and invite him to lunch after the Sunday mass day after. Such an acquaintance would only be beneficial” Minjun advised. “I will. Perhaps I can ask Chanhun to take the note along with Papa’s reply” Haneul agreed.

Minjun watched her get up and walk towards the study. This was a good sign. Haneul had been thinking about Jaehwan and if what she had understood from his actions was correct, Haneul would be spoken for before the season ended. And the Lees were good people. Haneul would be happy. And this brightened her day considerably.