The Kims Of Chatsworth (II/II)

The Foxglove Meadow

 

Double update. Please read part one before reading this chapter. Also, happy new year to everyone :)


 

 

 

"I do believe we will find them in the gardens" Wonshik said. "Minah loves gardens. I guess Sooyeon is no different" Haneul said with a smile. "Pardon the intrusion, but are you keeping well my lady?" Wonshik asked. "You are kind to worry about my health, sir. I am keeping well" she assured him.

"Have you painted anything new lately?" he asked. "Simple landscapes, I am afraid" she replied. "Maybe someday I will boldly ask you for one of the estate" he laughed. Haneul chuckled as well. "I must confess that as a child I would some times sketch the estate's gardens from afar. I doubt I have improved since then" she admitted. "I must see these sketches some day" he asked conspiratorially. 

"Whether you see my sketches or not, you must invite Minah to play the pianoforte someday. She is quite skilled at it" Haneul told him. "I look forward to it" he said. "Do you remember Mr Jung?" he asked her. "I do indeed. How is he?" she asked. "In good health fortunately. He has decided to stay at the estate for the rest of the season. I expect him to arrive next week" Wonshik told her. 

"That is quite fortunate. I don't believe you have much company in the way of other young gentlemen" Haneul told him. "I don't think it is my company he desires" Wonshik laughed. Haneul frowned at the statement. "I do believe that I can trust you with a secret" he admitted. "Mama believes that Taekwoon intends to court Sooyeon when she comes of age" he confided. "I don't think you should be telling me this" Haneul said, stepping back a little.

"I have reasons to believe this to be untrue. I think he intends to court you" Wonshik said plainly. "You must be mistaken my lord. He has declared no such intentions to me and I don't believe he ever will" Haneul insisted. "Taekwoon is the type to admire in silence. He won't openly declare his affections till he believes he has secured yours. That is his falling and I can only beg you to understand his heart" Wonshik told her.

"This was my only design in asking for your company. I only ask you to pay attention to his feelings. Taekwoon may not be as bold" he put in. "I am afraid you have been rather bold in announcing his intentions" Haneul said firmly. "Mr Jung is a fine gentleman but I firmly believe you are mistaken in interpreting his actions. He has no intentions of courting me and I beg of you not to bring this topic up again. Now if you will excuse me, we have been away for long enough for it to be improper."

Wonshik hesitated, as Haneul walked further. He followed her silently, with neither party speaking a word till they reached the gardens.

 

 

"Haneul! Do join us" Minah said happily. She frowned when she noticed a palpable tension between Wonshik and her cousin. But Haneul smiled and Minah knew not to pursue it further. "Sanghyuk has been telling us stories of his adventures across the sea. He is a well travelled pirate" Sooyeon said proudly.

"Hannie knows. She even promised to make me a pirate's hat" Sanghyuk told them. "Haneul is quite skilled at embroidery. You will have the best pirate's hat in the land" Minah declared. "You must teach me. I could never sit still for the lessons and now I regret it" Sooyeon admitted. "Haneul is a good teacher. She taught me how to play the piano" Minah said. 

"I had no idea you played the piano as well" Wonshik said, genuinely surprised. "I suppose we must correct for that. You must spend your evenings at the estate for the sake of our acquaintance" Sooyeon said. "Of course" Haneul agreed. Sooyeon smiled and went back to discussing Sanghyuk’s adventures. Minah noticed Haneul firmly avoiding Wonshik and frowned. Something was amiss here.