Surprises

The Foxglove Meadow

 

 

"Terrible timing I must say" Soojung agreed as she got off the carriage before Minjun did. "Indeed but I should think our company was pleasant. It was quite a surprise to see Younhee's son come back. I was under the impression that he still had a year at university. Time seems to fly" Minjun said wistfully. "One does observe it to be so" Soojung agreed. She had found the Lees to be quite pleasant.

"Oh Haneul! I have the most wonderful news for you. Is your father back yet dear?" Minjun asked. "I am afraid not Mama. The rain must have stalled him. I have something to tell you too" Haneul started. "Once we are inside dear. I am so terribly exhausted. The rains made it impossible for us to leave earlier" Minjun explained walking ahead. Haneul sighed and followed Soojung into her home.

"Do you remember Younhee's son?" Minjun asked Haneul. "Jaehwan?" Haneul asked, taking her mother's coat for her. "Yes indeed. He's back from university for good. I have invited them for dinner next Saturday. You must write him a note and invite him for the same" she told her. "Yes Mama. Speaking of which I sent out the thank you notes for last night" Haneul informed her. "Excellent. I do believe you are getting better at the entire affair. And just in your second season too!" Minjun said happily.

"Haneul is blessed with a good sense of behaviour. Something I wish Minah had as well" Soojung said with a frown. "She's still learning Ma'am. She will be a fine lady one day" Haneul assured her. The group moved into the living room  and Haneul called for Jieun to set up the fire again. "Hopefully it is before she dies an old spinster. You had something to say?" Soojung asked sitting down. 

"We had company for lunch" Haneul told her. Minjun who had been instructing Jieun so far stopped and frowned. She dismissed her quickly and turned to Haneul. "Company?" she asked with a frown. "Kim Wonshik and Jung Taekwoon. They came to get their puppy who had accidentally strayed into our garden but were caught in the rain. So I invited them in" Haneul explained. "You two were alone during the lunch?" Minjun asked sharply.

"One or the other person from the staff was with us all the time. Mostly Hanbyul as he was the only manservant at home" Haneul said. "I believe we must temporarily hire another" Minjun nodded to herself. Haneul.knew her mother wasn't happy about the girls being alone at home to receive two gentlemen callers. Hanbyul hadn't been around all the time but Haneul knew which battles to pick.

"Where is Minah?" Soojung asked. "Upstairs. I believe she fell asleep reading in the afternoon. I haven't woken her up yet" Haneul told Soojung who only nodded to herself. "What happened at lunch?" Minjun asked curiously. "It was a brief affair. The gentlemen insisted on returning as soon as possible because they had business to attend to. Jieun and Miyoung had roasted quite a bit of meat so we had that for lunch" Haneul told her. "Did you use the fine china?" Minjun asked her. Haneul nodded. It was intimidating really because of the status of their guests. Thankfully her daughter could think on her feet.

"I believe Mr Kim is back Ma'am. There is a carriage at the gates" Miyoung said poking into the room. "Ah perfect! Go get some warm tea and cake going Miyoung. I shall receive him at the door" Minjun said getting up. "I'll wake Minah up, I suppose" Soojung said getting up as well. "I can do that Ma'am. You must be tired" Haneul said. "I am indeed. But the Lees are a pleasant family. The youngest, Lee Jaehwan was a close friend of yours?" Soojung asked her.

"For a brief while. The Lees moved here a year or so before Jaehwan left to the university. We got along very well but only for a short period of time" she answered truthfully. "And do you write to each other now?" Soojung asked. "Not frequently Ma'am" Haneul replied. "Shame. He is a rather pleasant man. Quite handsome as well" Soojung hinted. "He was pleasant as a child as well" Haneul said calmly. While she felt incensed by the implication she chose not to acknowledge it with a reply.

"Hannie!" a voice yelled as something or rather someone, rushed into the room. "Sanghyuk?" Haneul asked in surprise as the boy in question hugged her fiercely. It was well known that her younger cousin adored her but the extent of his physical affection was always a joy to experience. "I believe I have bought the best gift for you and Minah from London" Hyunshik said proudly. Haneul smiled as she hadn't even noticed him enter.

"I did think it was my little brother. But you have brought the wrong young man along father. He is far too gentlemanly" Haneul teased. "That's because I have grown since you saw me silly" Sanghyuk laughed. "A proper gentleman never insults a lady" Haneul admonished him gently as she pulled his ears. Soojung tried to get in a word edge wise but was cut off by Sanghyuk's whining.

"Hannie! Where is Minah?" he asked her. "Upstairs. She must be asleep. I'll get her" Haneul told him. "I'll come with you" Sanghyuk insisted. He ran up ahead and Haneul had to run after him. Hyunshik laughed at the two and told Minjun that children were a joy to be with after weeks of staying with old shrewd men.

"Is this your room?" Sanghyuk asked before knocking on the door. "It's the door after it" Haneul told him. "Minah?" he yelled, knocking and entering it immediately. "Sanghyuk!" Haneul warned, not wanting to abruptly wake Minah up. But it was already too late as her brother was at her bedside and shaking Minah's shoulders.

"Leave me alone Sanghyuk!" Minah grumbled before she turned around. "Wake up sleepy!" Sanghyuk insisted. Minah grumbled and sat up in bed, rubbing her eyes and refusing to open them. "I thought Mama said you would become a lady when you stay with Hannie. Why do you still look so wild?" he asked, causing Haneul to start laughing. "I'm not - Sanghyuk!" Minah exclaimed, finally awake. "Took you long enough" he grinned. Minah cried out and hugged him much to his indignation. Haneul joined the fun just to irritate Sanghyuk and the three of them ended up being scolded for the noise.

To Minah, the summer had just become infinitely better.