Discussions Over Tea

The Foxglove Meadow

 

"Haneul dear, you look terrible" Hyunshik said with a frown when his daughter walked into the sun room. "She barely slept at all last night" Minah told Hyunshik. "She must be tired." "I am perfectly fine, really" Haneul said half heartedly. She pulled up her sketchbook and set of pencils and set to sharpening them. 

"Are you sure child?" her father asked. Haneul nodded in response. "That's such a shame. Sooyeon wrote to invite us to tea this evening. But if you aren't feeling well then we shan't go" Minah said, concerned for her cousin. "You should go. It will be impolite to decline so close to the event" Haneul told her. 

"I don't think Aunt Minjun would like me going alone" Minah said. "She would probably not mind if you took Sanghyuk with you. Perhaps we can instruct Chanhun to you" Haneul told her. "Are you sure you do not wish to come along?" Minah asked her. "I don't feel quite up to it tonight. Also, I have an invitation from Jaehwan for tea" Haneul told her.

"If it is a prior engagement then you must keep it" Hyunshik agreed. "I thought so as well. Take my apologies to Sooyeon, Minah. Invite Mrs Kim and her for tea at the Cottage" Haneul told Minah. "Alright. I will take your leave Uncle. I must get dressed. I hope you feel better soon Haneul" Minah said, leaving the room. 

"Do you really feel up to attending tea with Jaehwan? Perhaps you can write to him and postpone the meeting" Hyunshik suggested. "I... should go. I have a feeling that it might be important" Haneul told him. Hyunshik frowned before smiling knowingly. 

"Papa, I know what you are thinking but I don't think it is so" Haneul told him. "Nonsense my dear child, even a blind man can sense Jaehwan's affection for you. Dare I say, I thought he would grow out of it when he went to university. But his feelings were stronger than I hoped" Hyunshik said.

"What do you mean?" Haneul asked surprised. "My dear, I am not as blind as you wish me to be. I know that Jaehwan liked you since you were young adolescents" he said, making his daughter blush. "I was quite prepared to receive a spur of the moment letter asking permission for an engagement before he left. Fortunately that didn't come to pass. Now that you both are adults, you are better equipped to think about marriage seriously." 

"But what if..." Haneul stopped. "If you don't love him? I had the same reservations about your mother. I was sure our courtship was to end quite tragically at one point. But we are still together after many years and still in love despite our quarrels" Hyunshik told her. "Mama says, I should give him a chance" Haneul confessed. "Wise advice that comes from her own experience" Hyunshik agreed.

"You will always be my beloved daughter, regardless of the outcome" Hyunshik told her. Haneul smiled gratefully.

 

 

"I am so glad that you could make it for tea. I am very sorry that Haneul couldn't come along" Sooyeon said with a frown. "I am very sad too. Haneul always plays games with me and doesn't mind if I don't pay attention to how I am sitting while drinking tea" Sanghyuk grumbled. Sooyeon laughed while Minah blushed a little.

"I could barely stay still at his age" Wonshik said fondly. The man had grown quite fond of her brother, Minah noted. "Is your cousin keeping well Miss Kim? She did look weary the last I saw her" he asked her. "Yes. I was quite worried too. But she kept up with us well enough" Sooyeon added. 

"You mustn't worry yourselves. Haneul has a strong constitution. Unfortunately it is a prior engagement that keeps her away. She did send her apologies and has invited everyone to tea as soon as convenient" Minah told them. "I'd be delighted to attend!"Sooyeon declared.

"For now, I was hoping you would play with me Minah. It does get quite boring to practice by myself" she told the other girl. "I shall be delighted to" Minah replied. "Then I shall set up the pianoforte" Sooyeon said. "I can help" Sanghyuk said, getting restless sitting down. Sooyeon smiled and held out her hand to take the boy along.

"Am I right in assuming that your concern to my cousin does not extend only till her health and well being?" Minah asked Wonshik since they were left to their own devices. "Has she told you of our difference in opinions then?" he asked, embarrassed at the prospect. "She has not spoken of any discussion to me. What I speak of comes from my own observations of the evening our families were introduced to each other" she told him.

"I beg you to understand that I will not reproduce our discussion. That we were in disagreement will have to suffice. I had no right to say some of the things I did and I am afraid I have offended her sensibilities"  he told Minah. "That is quite a feat to accomplish" Minah teased. "But I do not believe that Haneul will hold you in contempt forever."

"Perhaps" she began conspiratorially. "Running into her at church would have provided a wonderful opportunity to clear misunderstandings" Minah hinted. "It would indeed" Wonshik said thoughtfully. "I believe I will go help Sooyeon set up. You should really not miss the chance Mr Kim" Minah said getting up. She left Wonshik to his thoughts before going over to Sanghyuk to help him sift through music books for a song to play. 

 

 

"I was worried you wouldn't come" Jaehwan said, standing up to receive her. "I'll take your leave, my lady" Hanbyul said, excusing himself. Haneul frowned at how he didn't wait for a response but turned to Jaehwan instead.

"I have no reason to stay away" Haneul replied. "Does that mean you have decided?" Jaehwan asked gently. Haneul shook her head, causing the man to stop. 

"I do not know you Jaehwan. I remember the boy I knew briefly. The boy who would tease me and pull my hair or take me on adventures through the meadows by the estate. I barely know you as you are now. And I know that you do not know me. You have changed and so have I" she told him firmly. Jaehwan wanted to interrupt but she took his hand in hers to stop him.

"I do not know you and hence I cannot profess love or affection beyond familiarity. I cannot accept the same from you in return. That being said, I do not see any reason why this must continue. I... I want us to know each other and to think about this seriously before we make a decision."

"Hence, I do not accept or reject your proposal Jaehwan. I ask for a chance to know you better first" she concluded. Haneul tensed, unsure of how Jaehwan felt about her monologue. He would understand, wouldn't he? But what if he didn't? Had she just lost her friend due to fear of unhappy attachments?

In response, Jaehwan hugged her. "Is this okay?"he asked her hesitantly. "Much needed" she confessed. Her heart felt lighter and Haneul was sure she would cry. All her bravery had gone, leaving her vulnerable and her feelings exposed. 

"Four months. The end of the season. Ask me again at the end of the season" Haneul promised, her words muffled in his chest. Jaehwan hummed in response, her hair.