The Kims Of Chatsworth (I/II)

The Foxglove Meadow

 

 

"Hannie, you look like you survived the seven seas and returned home after being shipwrecked" Sanghyuk told Haneul. "I suppose I do look awful, don't I?" Haneul said with a sigh. She stared at her reflection in the mirror. Her hair was frizzy from the humidity and her dark circles had begun to show. She had lost some weight too apparently for she could take an inch off her corset and dresses that were snug before summer hung a little looser.

"I do look shipwrecked" she laughed. "However, I don't think Mama would approve of me being a pirate" she added, ruffling his hair. "Perhaps I can be a pirate when I grow up" Sanghyuk said. "Maybe. If we have some time then I will make you a pirate's hat later" Haneul promised. Sanghyuk cheered and hugged her before running off to tell Minah. 

Sanghyuk descended the stairs in a great rush. "Be careful!" Soojung exclaimed when he almost skidded into the drawing room. Soojung had been instructing Minah before the interruption and Sanghyuk groaned when he realized that it would be his turn soon.

"Like I said, you must dress well. Tie your unruly hair up. And remember your manners. Flatter Mrs Kim, but subtlety and sensibility is key" she reminded Minah. "I understand" Minah said. Her tone was clipped for there was no use in going over this argument again. Soojung had made it clear in no simple words that Kim Wonshik was to be a potential suitor and Minah was to 'assist' him in this endeavour. Minah's own views were quite contrary but apparently irrelevant. 

"Han Sanghyuk" Soojung started. Minah tuned out while Soojung quizzed Sanghyuk on proper etiquette. She excused herself and decided to go upstairs to her room. She came across Haneul who was tying up the cords of her corset. Minah wordlessly helped her wear her dress.

"Haneul" she started and stopped, unsure of how to phrase her question. "Yes?" Haneul asked. "I've been wondering. Do you remember when I asked you if you ever had a suitor?" Minah asked carefully. "I do. What about it?" Haneul asked. "How did you handle unwanted attention? Rather, what if the attention was not from someone you despised or so, but just unwanted" Minah asked. Haneul bit her lip. The question had hit close to home for it resembled her situation with Jaehwan greatly.

"I suppose, you must draw a line somewhere. If it gets too over bearing then you must say no in clear terms. But it becomes difficult to assess when and where" she told Minah. "Do you remember when you said you didn't want to marry Jaehwan? Well, I don't want Kim Wonshik to court me" Minah wanted to say. But she nodded and held her silence. She had no idea of his intentions and it was best not discussed till she knew.

 

 

 

 

"Let me introduce you to my mother, Kim Jinsil. And this is my sister, Kim Sooyeon" Wonshik said, introducing his family. The families curtseyed and bowed as introductions were exchanged. "Minah, you must sit by me. I have heard a lot about you and I can't wait to know you more" Sooyeon said excitedly. "As excitable as you are darling, you are being rude to our present company" Jinsil told her daughter. Sooyeon blushed apologetically. 

"I do suppose that the girls can be excused. I'm afraid our conversations will only bore them" Hyunshik said gently. "May I be excused as well?" Sanghyuk piped up, causing the company to laugh. "We don't wish to be rude" Minah said once the company had settled. "I don't think it a problem. Do take a turn of the gardens" Jinsil encouraged. Sooyeon, Minah and Sanghyuk took their leave with Sooyeon leading the way. Soojung eyed the group satisfied by the turn of events.

"I have heard so much about you from Wonshik. It is a pleasure to meet you in person" Jinsil said. "Only good things I hope. He is a fine gentleman and we are glad to make this acquaintance" Hyunshik said. "You flatter me, Mr Kim. Sooyeon in particular was rather taken with Minah. Rather strange that we should reside in London but meet in Derbyshire" Jinsil said. "Strange indeed" Soojung agreed.

"Tell me more about yourself Haneul" Jinsil asked. "Haneul is quite an accomplished painter Ma" Wonshik said. "I proudly concur" Hyunshik said heartily. "These are exaggerations Madam" Haneul said modestly. "You must excuse her modest nature Ma'am. But Haneul is quite accomplished in various home making activities" Minjun added.

"Both the sisters are well versed in the arts. Minah plays the piano" Soojung told her. "Indeed, she knows a vast range of songs" Haneul agreed. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see her mother stiffen imperceptibly. "Well, I must invite her to play some time" Jinsil agreed. They were interrupted by the servant who had come in to announce that tea was ready.

"If you'll excuse me, I'll go look for Minah" Haneul requested. "Let me accompany you" Wonshik said. "Perhaps you'll be able to find your sister faster. Sooyeon usually walks around a fair bit" Jinsil said with a sigh. "I don't believe that Sanghyuk and Minah would have problems keeping up" Hyunshik said in a good natured tone. "I suppose not" Soojung agreed.