The Co-Worker

atarashī koi
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER 3: The Co-Worker

“You can do it, Im Yoona.” I try to convince myself as I look at the two-story building in front of me. It is a cream-colored structure with flowerpots lined in front, and it has a really nice signage. It looks more of a house rather than a business building to be honest. People might think that the owner is a girl but… let’s see that later.

 

Stepping out of my car, I take another deep breath before finally walking in. The smell of flowers greets me and I suddenly have a random thought: is this still a travel agency or did I accidentally apply in a flower shop?

 

I look around and see that there are still no employees around. It is 30 minutes past seven in the morning and the manager actually wants to see me earlier so explains why I’m already here. Walking towards the stairs, I look at the interior design of the small office and I am amazed by its simplicity.

 

Upon reaching the floor of the manager’s office, I knock and wait for his response. Just after a few seconds, the door opens and the manager greets me with a wide smile that is so contagious that I found myself smiling as well.

 

“Well, good morning Miss Im! Come inside and let’s have coffee.” Mr. Kim opens the door wider, gesturing for me to come in. This isn’t my first time to be in his office but I still find myself admiring it because we have similar tastes when it comes to room designs. Oh yes, you heard it right. The branch manager of this flower shop-looking travel agency is a guy.

 

I take a seat at the couch and he takes the one opposite of me. I am still smiling, despite the fact that the delicious coffee in front of me is so tempting. “Good morning, Mr. Kim. Please take care of me.” I stand up and bow my head, before returning to my seat and I hear him chuckle.

 

“There’s no need to be formal, Yoona-ssi. Just call me Seokjin, Jin, Manager Jin or… whatever.” I laugh lightly. “There’s still a long time before we finally open so let’s take this opportunity to talk.” He has these nice features that make him younger than he is.

 

“Ah, right. You can ask me some questions about my resume if you’re still curious.” He nods and soon gestures for me to take the coffee. I gladly follow his order and one sip of the beverage has already energized me.

 

There is a minute of silence before he finally speaks. “So, what is the reason why you quit writing?” I am taken aback by his question. During the interview process, he is quite shocked to find out that I quit writing because he told me that his cousin really likes my works a lot. Since I was an anonymous author, I asked him keep my little secret and luckily, he agreed.

 

“Well… things happened and… yeah. I kind of lost my inspiration in writing and thought that maybe it is more of a hobby rather than a passion.” I play with the cup of coffee I’m holding, nervous at the fact that I am opening a sensitive topic to a total stranger. Yes, he is my boss but… you know. There are some things that are only to be known by your closest friends.

 

“Hmm, whatever it is, it’s such a shame that you decided to stop releasing stories. I read a few chapters of your novel and they’re written well.” I give him a thankful smile, not wanting to talk more about that topic.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter