Breakfast with the Neighbor

atarashī koi
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER 4: Breakfast with the Neighbor

“Uh, welcome back Yoona-ssi!” Yoona almost jumps from fear when she hears a voice greet her from behind. She tilts her head and sees Lu Han standing awkwardly in front of his door while grinning. “I’m not waiting for you! I just happened to be going out… when I saw you unlocking your door.”

 

Emitting a soft chuckle, she crosses her arms in front of her chest. “That didn’t cross my mind, actually.” She sees Lu Han’s cheeks slightly redden. “Anyway, good morning to you too!”

 

“Oh, right.” Lu Han scratches the back of his nape as he looks on the floor. He has never felt this shy in front of anyone – given that he’s a reporter – but Yoona makes him feel like he’s being judged closely. Maybe it’s because his eyes mirror hers’, but no matter what the reason is, he wants this awkward atmosphere between them go away. “I’m going to grab my breakfast. Um, do you want to join me?”

 

Yoona’s eyebrows suddenly arch. Is this super shy neighbor of hers inviting her out to eat? She has actually eaten before she left their house but she will feel burdened if she rejects his invitation. Also, it’s time for them to get past their “awkward neighbors” stage.

 

“Oh, sure. Let me just put my things inside. Come in.” She unlocks her door and gestures for the timid man to follow her. He is hesitant at first but seeing how she will not give up to invite him in, he gives up and walks after her.

 

It is one of those rare times when he’s entered a woman’s apartment. He is quite introverted despite the fact that he’s working in a field made for people who like to talk so he’s not the type to barge in like this in another stranger’s room. Looking around, he notices how minimalist her residence is and he admires the fact that it is clean and organized.

 

“You must have a lot of time to clean, Yoona-ssi.” Lu Han suddenly says and when Yoona turns to him, she gives him an amused smile. Suddenly feeling conscious, he averts his gaze and proceeds to look at a non-existent furniture on her wall.

 

“I like organizing my stuff… you could tell that I’m that OC neighbor you have.” She chuckles. Upon putting her dirty clothes on the laundry basket located just outside her room, she fixes herself and grins at Lu Han. “So, talking about breakfast, I know a good place. My friend owns it.”

 

Lu Han nods as he watches her secure her belonging in a purse. He notices how she slightly brushes her hair in the mirror that he noticed just now and he can’t help but admire the scene before him – wait, what?

 

“Lu Han-ssi?” He returns to reality when he hears her say his name. Shaking off his thoughts, he blinks rapidly for quite a number of times before doing what he’s best at – cracking an awkward smile. “Let’s go?”

 

Yoona wonders what has gotten to her neighbor as she found him staring intently at her but she just shrugged it off. Maybe he’s still a bit shy towards her and she wants this to be a chance for the both of them to be closer.

 

They walk silently towards the elevator. Upon recalling who the attendant on the right-side lift is, Yoona’s eyes widen and he pulls Lu Han towards the left-side lift. Lu Han looks at Yoona, who is hastily checking which elevator will go up first.

 

As if it is an important race, Yoona prays to all the Gods present that the left-side elevator will be coming up first. But upon noticing how it stops from floor to floor, she gives up and hopes that Hani has to go to the bathroom and another attendant is –

 

“Yoona!” Yoona shuts her eyelids tightly upon hearing the familiar voice. Usually, she’d brighten up by hearing it but this time, she just wants to disappear forever. “Aren’t you going in?” She finally notices that Lu Han is waiting for her inside the elevator and she takes a step to go in.

 

And as if it is destined to be, it's only the three of them inside the elevator. It’s going to be a long damn ride.

 

“You just got off. Are you heading out again?” Hani sweetly asks. Yoona notices how the young attendant’s cheeks become pink-colored whenever she glances at the man beside her. She shakes her head, wanting this elevator ride to be over as soon as possible.

 

“Uh, Lu Han invited me for breakfast.” The mentioned man smiles at the both of them, before awkwardly staring into space once again. Hani’s jaw almost falls to the floor and Yoona somehow feels sorry for ruining the good mood of the attendant.

 

However, unexpectedly, Hani beams. “Oh my! I knew it! The both of you were going to be a thing afterall!” Yoona almost choked upon hearing Hani’s remark. Lu Han, on the other hand, almost loses his balance when the elevator comes to a stop.

 

“It’s not like that!” Yoona wants to explain her side but they have to get off now to make way for the other passengers. Hani wiggles her eyebrow up and down as she looks at the two. “Hani –“

 

“Go out now and tell me about your date later!” She pushes the two outside and waves at them before closing the elevator doors. Yoona heaves a deep sigh as she looks at Lu Han who seem to be as flushed as her.

 

“I’m sorry, she’s really like that.” She says as they make their way out of the building.

 

Lu Han bobs his head up and down. “Yes, I know.” As they reach to an understanding,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter