I Will Never Be T(her)e

atarashī koi
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


(GIF credits to the rightful owner)

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE: I Will Never Be T(her)e

“Still, you could have told me that you were visiting Seoul today.” I nervously fidget on the hem of my shirt as I walk around the park with the person whom I thought I will never meet again after I ran away from my hometown months ago. “Soojung is pregnant. Is it… really alright for you to take a little field trip in Seoul today?”

 

Minho emits a soft chuckle and God knows how I missed hearing my best friend laugh like that. If only I wasn’t coward enough to confess, would I have been able to make him smile forever?

 

“I miss my best friend.” Minho says, causing me to glance towards his way which is quite a big mistake as I feel guilt and shame all at once for ditching him like that. “I miss you, Yoong. I wanted to know how you’re doing so I ask Kwon where you are, and he gladly told me where you live.”

 

That Kwon… I swear he really likes messing up with my life! I clearly instructed him not to tell Minho anything about me, but of course he does not oblige. Perks of having a big brother. Geez, why are siblings always so mean?

 

“You’re lucky it’s my day-off so I can show you around.” I emit a soft giggle and when my eyes happen to fall upon a certain bench under the tree, I walk towards it as Minho follows me. I take a seat and wait for him to do the same. “I’m really sorry for disappearing like that, Minho.”

 

“Why did you move away?” I expected him to ask such a question and if asked me that months ago, I wouldn’t have been able to give him an answer. I’m still scared of bringing back the past, but it’s starting to haunt me, so I guess I have to work my way with it. No more running, Im Yoona. “Why didn’t you tell me any of it?”

 

The birds are chirping and the laughter of children in the park fill my ears despite me feeling heavy inside. I’ve been avoiding the elephant in the room for months now and it’s all coming back to me, so I have no choice but to tell him the truth. He deserves to know it despite him being the cause of my first heartbreak.

 

After all, he was my greatest confidant and he knows almost everything about me.

 

“I loved you.” I look at him straight in the eye, and I can tell that he’s shocked by my sudden confession. “Don’t reply me with an ‘I know you love me because I’m your friend’ because I’m not going to hold back and punch you on the face.”

 

Luckily enough, he emits a soft chuckle and I heave a sigh in relief. I wouldn’t have been able to go on if we kept that serious atmosphere for a few more minutes!

 

“Yoong…”

 

“Let me finish first.” I stop him from whatever he is going to say because it’s my time to let out my feelings. “I ran away because I couldn’t bear the fact that you’re going to be happily married to Soojung. I did not hate you both, actually I’m very happy for you, but I loathed myself

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter