New Year's Eve Part 2

atarashī koi
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER 11.5: New Year's Eve Part 2

“Finally, we can go home!” Sunny says as she clings onto Yoona’s arm. They just timed out and just like what Jin has promised, he let them off early tonight. “Will you really be fine as you celebrate the new year alone? Don’t you have a friend or a relative nearby so you could –“

 

Yoona chuckles as she ruffles the elder’s hair using her free hand. “I will be alright, unnie. Besides, every adult must at least spend New Year alone once in her life.” She energetically states, making the brown-haired girl smile.

 

“You’ve always been so positive, Yoong. I wish I could be you.” Sunny curls her lips into a pout, making Yoona chuckle.

 

“You just have to learn how to dance in the middle of a storm.” The doe-eyed girl states before pinching the shorter girl’s nose. “Alright, unnie. Maybe your parents are waiting for you at home. I’ll see you tomorrow!”

 

“Take care okay!” Sunny waves her hand before proceeding to go to her car. Yoona salutes playfully at her co-worker before entering hers. As she makes herself comfortable on her seat, she sighs and she thinks of ways on how she can spend her New Year’s Eve.

 

I can’t call back home. They’re probably busy preparing and later, they’ll be having their yearly parlor games so no one will check their phones. Jo Kwon is on duty and I don’t want to spend the night as I eat alone in his office. What should I do?

 

Since she doesn’t really want to go back home yet, she decides to drive around and familiarize herself with the lovely city she’s been in with for the past month. She hasn’t really roamed around that much because she always goes back home first thing after her work.

 

Seeing as how families, friends, and couples walk on the pavement happily, she smiles. She thinks of her favorite short story – the one she’s written about a girl losing her first kiss to a total stranger on New Year’s Eve. She considers doing the same thing as the heroine – but she’s not that brave to walk around under the influence of alcohol and kiss a random guy.

 

“People are starting to gather around the square to see the incoming fireworks display. It’ll be starting two hours from now and at the moment, there are various activities that are being done such as performances of street dancers and many more. It is not yet too late to join the party! This Lu –“

 

Yoona is suddenly startled by the loud honk of a car behind her. She hasn’t realized that she’s been staring into space and she hasn’t noticed that the light turned green already after hearing the familiar voice in the radio.

 

She starts to drive once more and thinks of what the reporter on the radio has said. The square is five minutes away from her current location and it is the most ideal place for her to not feel alone. Besides, she wants to see the yearly grand fireworks in Seoul since she has only seen them in the television.

 

A few minutes later, she finds herself struggling to find a parking space in the crowded parking lot. She curses herself for doing such a terrible decision but she can’t go back now especially since there are a lot of cars behind her.

 

She thanks all the Gods present when she finds a free lot after a van left. Though the space is quite far from the square, she’s still thankful because at least she won’t be deciding to go home and waste her time alone.

 

After finally checking all the locks, Yoona walks off the parking lot. On her way to the park, she sees a lot of street food and smiles to herself as she tries out some. The kind vendors even let her take-out an order because they say that she’s “too pretty to be alone”.

 

“This is Lu Han wishing you all a very prosperous New Year!” Yoona almost chokes on her drink after she hears the familiar name. She then squeezes herself into the crowd and sees her timid neighbor smiling widely in front of the camera.

 

He acts differently when he’s working. She hasn’t really seen him on action since she rarely opens her television to watch the news. Anyway, she doesn’t like watching it as her head just hurts because of too much politics.

 

The crew then wraps up and Lu Han politely bows to the staff. Yoona smiles as she sees him go back to his old, shy self and chuckles when he almost trips into a cable from a camera. He can really be cute at times.

 

Thinking that Lu Han might be alone as well tonight, she suddenly comes up with a bright idea. Waving her hand exaggeratedly for the doe-eyed man to notice her, she ignores the weird looks she gets from the people around.

 

“Umm, excuse me.” Yoona turns to the teenage-looking girl beside her and smiles lightly. “Do you possibly know that cute reporter?” She shyly asks, making her raise an eyebrow. The girl obviously likes him.

 

“Uh, actually –“

 

“Yoona!” The mentioned girl almost jumps on her feet upon hearing the man call her. She diverts her attention away from the fangirl and grins cheekily as Lu Han approaches him. She notices how the ladies start to whisper at one another and she suddenly feels conscious. “You didn’t come home?”

 

“Would I be here if I did?” She jokingly says, making the Chinese guy laugh lightly. “Uh, may we… talk somewhere? You know.” She side eyes the people who are currently watching the both of them and Lu Han seems to get the idea as he gestures for her to follow him.

 

“So, it’s a surprise that you’re here on a holiday.” Lu Han says as the both of them walk into the benches on the side of square. Families are gathered around the picnic area and Yoona suddenly misses home.

 

“I already used my vacation leave last Christmas. Also, I wanted to give chance to others as they wanted to take the day-off today.” Yoona replies as she takes a seat on the bench. She pats the space beside her, motioning for the guy to sit.

 

“It’s such a shame for us who wants to spend time with our families.” Lu Han scoffs. “If China was just a drive away, it would have been easier for me to come home every holiday.”

 

Yoona emits a chuckle as she hears her neighbor

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter