The Precious Gift

Final Call
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Kyuhyun takes his position on her right side again, wiggling her continuously to bring her back to consciousness while the rest of the doctors there preparing some drugs to sedate her. According to the head surgeon, they will cut open her abdomen area to get the blood out since the result of her ultrasound doesn’t look really good.

He honestly more concern about the wound in her head, the blunt force trauma she got obviously did something to some of her senses and he knows that in his hospital, his sunbae would’ve look through the CT scan first. But he understands he doesn’t have a say in this hospital and the head surgeon was right also about the bleeding in her abdomen. If she continues to spill more blood, sooner or later the hospital would run out of the blood and although Kyuhyun can be her donor, he understands the process usually takes longer than just a simple blood check procedure.

As what the head surgeon asked him, Kyuhyun called his sunbae already and he said he’ll be here within an hour because of the traffic, he can only hope that Seulri has enough willpower to stay alive until the she gets the treatment she needs.

He once again puncturing her skin, wishing it’ll wake her up again like it did before, but the serene look in her face has calm his mind a little bit. She was in so much pain seconds earlier and when she falls asleep, that only means the adrenalin has taken over what she could bear and it’s the way her body survive. It might seem like the best option if she doesn’t have a worrying wound in her head, but that unchecked wound is his only reason to keep stimulating her senses back into her.

“We’ll sedate her.” The old doctor takes the syringe from the intern.

“Doctor, do you think it’s wise to sedate her completely when the wound in her head hasn’t been checked yet? Can we at least numb the pain around her abdomen instead?” Kyuhyun tries his luck to reason with the head surgeon.

“We don’t have time to run CT scan for her, Kyuhyun-ssi. I’m doing the best I can.” He shakes his head.

“Yes, I understand. But I begin to get worry about that wound, because her vital is bad but her senses are worse, it’s either she hit the nerve in her backbone or the one in the left hemisphere.” He pleads to have his suggestion heard for her sake.

The head surgeon takes a quick look into Seulri and he hates to admit that he shares the same concern as the young surgeon in front of him. Another reason of his agreement is also because he’s an internist and not a neurologist, at this point he can’t risk a patient’s life because of his incompetence. He knows the neurologist from Seoul hospital is heading this way and he should do his best to keep the patient alive until then.

“Change the dosage and we’ll only numb the abdomen area.” He nods to Kyuhyun and give back the syringe to the intern. “Just do whatever you can to wake her up, Kyuhyun-ssi. I could contribute a massive pain in her abdomen by slicing through her skin without the drugs but if she jolts badly I’m afraid it’ll cost more than what it already is.”

“I’ll keep puncturing her.” Kyuhyun gives the doctor a thankful nod before he begins pinching some of her skin really hard.

He realizes what he’s doing at the moment will leave a lot of bruises later on her smooth white skin. However, if the choices are cutting her without drugs and some bruises on her skin, he’d chose the bruises anytime.

“Hey, are you dreaming Seulri-ya?” He leans closer to her ear so the rest of the O.R can’t hear his private conversation with her, “I know your dream might look much better than reality and I know dying is a better option for you right now after everything that happened in the past two days.” He can feel his tears begin to fall down with the thought alone, “But you can’t do that to me, please. Please avoid any kind of bright light and please return to me, please open your eyes Seulri-ya. Let me see through you again, ne? let’s talk peacefully, let’s start over. I’ll do whatever you want and give you anything you ask, I promise. But you have to come back, otherwise I won’t be able to fulfill your wish.”

Seulri still closes her eyes while her constant breathing that’s being helped by the tube inserted in is still showing stable count on the machine. What he doesn’t know, she’s now travelling through a time tunnel and she’s re-living one of the best moment in her life.

“I take it back Seulri-ya. I take back my last words to you tonight so please stop being angry with me.” He begins shaking from his suppressed crying, “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean it. I’m so sorry Kang Seulri.”

 

*

 

*Byun Jeongha

 

She walked back and forth in his campus’s lobby for almost one hour already, Kyuhyun promised her a date this evening and he said his class would be over by five yet here she was waiting for him feeling like an outsider in a lobby full of universities student. It’s a special day for both of them and she wanted to look her best for him tonight, so she’s been preparing herself. She usually just went to see him after school in her uniform, but today she wanted to look different so she went back to her house, dressed up, took everything she needed and lied to her father by telling him that she’d spent the night in her friend’s house.

Only by six o’clock, Kyuhyun finally showed up with his apologetic look and he was trying to catch his breath since he ran as fast as he could from the auditorium to where Seulri was. “I will take any kind of scolding you’ll give me.” He placed his hands on his knees, “My crazy professor insisted us to learn the nervous system and it was a lot.”

Instead of being angry, she just smiled then patted his back while he’s still catching his breath, “It’s okay, oppa. It was awkward for me to wait here but I sort of expected you to be late anyway, I went to your dorm earlier so I didn’t wait that long here.”

“So, you’re not mad?”

She shook her head before she pulls his hand with her, “Buy me some ice cream to make it up, it’s a nice winter day and I wanted to balance my body temperature like you told me.”

Kyuhyun followed her steps then wrapped his arm around her shoulder, “Omo, my girlfriend sure has the heart of an angel.”

“Oppa, there’re a lot of people, put your hand down.” She whispered from the corner of .

“Why? They’ve been staring at you for a while and I just need to show them that this beautiful girl is mine.”

“Might as well just pee all over me to mark your territory.” She rolled her eyes.

He messed her hair a little then he realized that she only covered herself with a long coat while she’s wearing a thin white blouse underneath her pink overall skirt. He knew that she dressed up nicely for him and he also noticed that she put on a little bit of make-up as her way to look nicer for him. Seulri looked up-beat this day and the smile on her face calmed him down somehow. It’s been a while since she ran into him with teary eyes or wounded skin, which means things at her home were under control—for a while.

“Aren’t you cold?” He asked while his eyes pointed to her exposed calf. “The dress looks cute on you, but I’m afraid it doesn’t give the warmth you need.” He added to show his appreciation on her effort to dressed up for him.

Seulri just smiled coyly then pressed her body closer to him. “I can handle the cold. Do I look pretty?”

“You always are.” He nodded then tighten the grip on her shoulder to lower his face, “I really want to kiss you right now, but all these people just hold me back from doing it.” He added, whispered in her ear.

“You’re just too much, Kyuhyun-ssi!” She lowered his hands that’s on her shoulder and hold his hand instead then she played with his finger a little bit before she linked their fingers.

He took their intertwined hands into his coat pocket before he squeezed her hand firmly three times, which she replied with the same amount of firm squeezes. It’s their way to say ‘I love you’ whenever they try to be quiet in public or whenever they just enjoy the comfortable silent created around them.

He led her out of the campus area towards his favorite place for dinner, it’s not something special since he didn’t have much money as a student but it was special nonetheless because they spent their time together. The dinner was simple but the stroll they took towards his dorm was more interesting than the dinner itself. Kyuhyun bought her the ice cream she asked on their way back from the restaurant and only after she finished the entire cone, the cold b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter