Chapter 9 - A Night to Remember

Am i in love with you?

 "Namjoon hyung, she will be alright right?" Jimin asked me, a little worried.

I looked at him. It was so obvious he had a thing for Hyun Hyo.  

"Yeah she will be. Dont worry about it! My instinct tells me that she's a fighter" I replied.

He smiled at the word fighter. Weird kid. 

"Guys, its almost 12. Get some sleep. We need the energy for tomorrow." I said before heading for the showers. 

But a part of me felt uneasy. Where did Jungkook go to? I just felt that it was too sudden for him to suddenl have an appointment with his old school friends. In the middle of the night. Maknae-ah, just stay out of trouble. Please. 


"Oh this? Who is she actually?" she corrected me. 

"Huh?" I was confused.

"Meet Mindy. "She held her toy bunny upright and puppeted the toy to bow, her eyes beamed and her smile widen. "She's my only other bestfriend besides Jin Rin and has been with ever since I a child."

I let out a small chuckle. 

Oh no. I shouldnt have done that. 

I mean, she just looked so happy and I've never seen her smile like that before. But what is this warm feeling I'm having at my chest? 

I immediately straightened my face and pulled my myself together. 


Did he just? Did he just smile? What? 

"Oh no dont go red. Dont go red" I warned myself.

I looked at him but his smile disappeared and his usual resting face was on display.

I bit my lips and turned away. 

"Uh, Im sorry." I said, embarressed by the fact that I behaved like a child.

"Its alright. I get it. Girls sometimes can go all gogogaga over those toys" he said. 

The way he said it was so expressive it made me laugh. 


She laughed. My ears and mind suddenly lit up. It sounded so full of life, so warm and so familiar. 

I looked at her. Her face was so so bright and warm. My heart... Why is it beating faster than usual? I took a huge breath to try to slow down the unexplained racing of heart. 

"You get it? You get girls? I mean I dont mean to sound rude or anything but the people working around you told me that you are always cold and it would be almost impossible for you to actually understand them. Or even try to understand them" she said, smiling a little, her hands fiddling with Mindy's ears. 

"Im cold?" I questioned her.

"Yeah well, maybe a bit? I mean like dont you think that you have been exceptionally distant and cold towards me?" she asked, her voice a little lower than usual. 

Actually, I agreed with her. It was indeed my initial plan to be cold towards her but somehow, I would always end up with all these mixed feelings. Its as though my body didnt want her to get hurt by my actions. 

I remained silent. 

I bet she sensed that I didnt want to continue this conversation so she changed topic," So this isnt your first time having girls make you see and greet their toy?" 

"Yeah, Hyun Hyo used to make me dress her dolls up ever-" 

What did I just say?  


What did he just say? 

He stopped his sentence and his face wore a really uncomfortable expression. He shifted about, as though having a mental war with himself, about what he had just said. 

"Hyun Hyo? Who? I bet it's not me because I swear this is my first time ever meeting him." I asked myself "Who is this Hyun Hyo? Is it another person with the same name? Was that why he was extra cold towards me? Could she have been his first love and broke his heart or something?"

There were so many things I wanted to ask him but seeing his face and his body language, I decided to change the topic. 

"Uh so did you have dinner?" I asked. 

He looked at me, a little relieved that I had changed the direction of the conversation, "Well, not really. Once you fainted we immediately rushed you here so there wasnt really time for dinner." 

It was almost as though god had overheard our conversation. There was a knock on the door and a nurse came in. She smiled and greeted me and Jungkook. 

"Here is your supper. Even if you dont want to eat the porridge, at least drink the soup alrights sweetie?" she said before excusing herself out of the room. 

I flashed a smile at Jungkook "Want some?" 

He refused at first but his looks were suggesting that he was seriously contemplating as though his life was on the line before he said, "Just a little"

Oh so childish. 


I slurpped down the porridge. 

Oh crap. What happened to just a little? 

"Sorry. I guess I'm just really hungry" I said, feeling a little sorry that all she's left with is her soup and fruits. 

"No its okay. Im a little relieved that at least you got to eat." she replied, smiling. 

I swear this is like the xxx time she made me have this weird tingling sensation. 

"Thanks" I managed, trying not to show her that her smile made me have weird body reactions. 

After we had finished her meal, there was silence again. 

Talk you idiot.  

But I couldnt. My mouth just wouldnt process what my brain just said so I was just staring at her. 


Okay why is he staring at me like that? Is there something on my face? 

"Or is this just him being awkward and unsure of what to talk about?" I asked myself. 

"So, um, thanks for returning me my phone." 

He was a little surprised but then he smiled," No probs". 

Someone should make this kid wear a face mask. Or tell him not to smile. Oh dear god... Please dont turn red. Not now. Not when he's so close.  


"Woah the rain is really heavy..." I mumbled to myself. 

Jungkook. Why arent you back yet?

Please be safe in this storm. 


Just then, there was a white light that flashed outside that was accompanied by the thunder. My heart jumped out of my body. Seems like the rain got heavier. 

I shut my eyes for a moment, blocking my thoughts for I know where is gonna lead me to. I cant have this nightmare. Not here. Not now. The thunder roared again. This time, louder than before. I immediately dugged my head onto the side of the bed, covering my ears. 

No not now. Please.  


It felt like deja vu. I've seen this side of him. He had the same look like the other day when I found him in the park, in the rain. 

Rain, lightning and thunder. This is what must be scaring him huh? 

"Hey... Jungkook... Look at me." I reached forward and took his hands off his ears, making him sit facing me, looking into his eyes. He looks like a lost young boy. Lost in his own world of thoughts. He then gripped onto both my hands. 

He is holding my hands! No wait this isnt the right time to be happy about this Hyun Hyo.

"Hey, it's alright... You afraid of the this weather huh?" I asked, as though I was talking to young child. 

He didnt respond but his eyes were staring at me, full of fear and emotions. 

"Look, you can turn and face this way so you wont have to look at the lightning?" I suggested, pulling his hands to the other side of the bed. He nodded and moved, still holding onto my hands. Once he got to the other side, he was now back facing the window, the rain out of his sight. He looked at me. 

"Here" I said and free one of my hand from his grip to get reach for my phone and earpiece. He stared at me blankly.

Wow is he suddenly stupid or something? 

I struggled to plug the earpiece into my phone and placed them into his ears. 


I grabbed onto her hand tightly. At that moment, I had forgotten everything. The plan to be cold towards her, the mixed feelings, the nightmare. All I was looking at was Park Hyun Hyo. I locked my gaze on her. She lead to the the other side of the bed and plugged music into both my ears. She smiled and I suddenly forgot everything that happening around me. 

My vision went dark and the only other thing I could see was Hyun Hyo. It was as though she was the light. She was still holding onto my hand and smiling warmly at me. Her eyes never once left me. I felt so secure. So warm.

Thank you Park Hyun Hyo...


After about a few hours, she pulled the earpiece out of my ears. 

"Look, its okay now" she assured me. 

I slowly turned to find light raindrops sliding down the window. She was right. It is okay now. I was able to breathe slowly again. I looked at her.

My heart that was racing was now slower, more normal. It felt as if my heart was the calm ocean after the storm. 

She smiled then eyed my hands. 

My hands were still intertwined between hers. 

Tightly. Crap.


He looked so cute staring at our hands and immediately releasing them. 

"Sor-Sorry" he said, trying to look away. 

"Its alright" I said and smiled widely at him. 

He turned and look at me, "You wont tell the others wont you?" 

He had this serious and dark look. It was though what I had witnessed was sacred. 

"Of course" 

Well, looks like we have another thing in common then Jungkook. 


The atmosphere started to become a little awkward. Hyun Hyo was biting her lips, occasionally glancing at me. She looks a little hesitant, but she looked as though she was going to say something. Before I could say ask if there was something she wanted to say, she intruded the silence.

"You know, I have my fears too." she said, bending her knees to her chest and hugging them.

I looked at her, waiting for her to continue. 

That was unexpected.

"I cant spend the night alone in the hospital room." she said, head facing downwards. 

Dont do it. Dont be bothered. Dont fall for it. 

"Why is that?"

You stubborn . 

"I was in an accident when I was younger." her expression hardened "I was rushed to the hospital to be treated but when I was in the room alone, there was this lady who came in. She asked me if I Hyun Hyo. I nodded and she led out me out of the room. I was young and naive. She told me that she would take me to my parents but she lied."

Her voice cracked and she started trembling, "She led me into this room and strapped me onto the chair so I couldnt move and jabbed some needle into me. It was so painful and I could do was scream. She screaming something about how I should have died in the crash so I deserved this in my face." 

She must have been so terrified and shocked. 

"I couldnt really tell what happened after because the last thing I saw was the door swinging open and then I blanked out" 

I looked up only to find a weeping figure. She looks so frightened just by sharing that. 

I couldnt help but ask," but why were you alone in the room? Where were your parents?"

She wiped her tear and replied,"They died instantly during the crash. I dont really have any other relative except my aunt, who was overseas at that time". 

She looked back down, "That's why I always have a phobia of being left alone in the hospital room. I dont even know who that woman was or why she wanted me or my parents dead." 

"Im so sorry to hear that..." 

Comfort her you idiot... Come on think of something...

She was still crying. 

Come on do something Jeon Jungkook! 

I stretched my hand out, towards her face and used the back of my fingers and wipe her tears away. Thats a start. She looked up at me.

"I am sorry, I didnt know why I told you tha-"

I placed my index finger  on her lips, hushing her. 

Her lips felt so soft. 

"Its alright. I'll stay here with you tonight so dont worry alright?" 

She tried to smile a little but she looked down. She started to tear again. 

Come on Jeon Jungkook... Lets drop the jerk act. At least for now.

"What's wrong?" 

She looked back at me, "I just dont understand why someone would want my family dead. I couldnt even wish them Happy Anniversary that night... I miss my parents... I want to see them" her voice seemed to get softer with each word but her tears were increasing. 

I couldnt hold it back anymore... She reminded me of my Hyun Hyo. 

I leaned in and pulled her in for a hug. She flinched a little by my sudden action but soon buried her face in my chest. 

"Its okay to cry... Sometimes, crying when you miss someone helps" I whispered, her back. 


I didnt expect him to do that but Im glad he did. His body felt so warm. He whispered and told me it was okay to cry... Even though my mind was occupied with my final moments with my parents, somewhere, a part of my head wondered why he was treating me so nicely. 

But that all didnt matter... I was in his arms and I felt so secure... It was so comfortable... I closed my eyes and fell asleep.

Thank you Jeon Jungkook...  


She didnt move much and her crying stopped. I moved her a little so that I could see her face. 

Asleep. 

I looked at the wall clock. 4am. Great. 

Okay, lets just close my eyes for about 2 hours before I head for work okay Jungkook.

Honestly, never knew that it could work that fast because before I could do anything else, I had already closed my eyes and fallen into deep sleep.


"Wait here." Suga said while forcing me to sit down on the steps before running off somewhere. 

I didnt bother turning to see where he went because the view in front of me caught my attention. The gentle night breeze and the view of the Han River is just so mesmerising. I took in a deep breath. 

"Thats right Jin Jin Rin... Breathe" I said to myself out loud, closing my eyes. 

It was as though the wind was blowing all the stress and worry away from my body. I felt so relaxed. This was the first time in two years, ever since I dated that stupid jerk, that I actually felt at peace. I stood up and let my hair loose. 


"Im bac-" I said but I got stopped. 

Holy crap she looks beautiful... 

She must have heard me and turned to look at me. 

"Its beautiful here" she said, walking towards me, eyes still wondering her surrounding. 

Youre beautiful. 

"Is that for us?" she asked, pointing to the black plastic bag I was holding. She was only 2 feet away from me. 

"Yeah." I said, walking to the steps, hoping she didnt notice how flustered I was by her. 

We sat on the steps and I handed her the drink. 

"Just what I needed. Thanks" she said and opened the can immediately by herself. 

"So you had a rough day huh?" I asked. 

"Tell me about it" she replied. 

We laughed. 


Ughhghg what's this thing on my face... I rubbed my eyes and opened them. 

"ARGHG" I screamed, trying to get away.

It was a stray dog. And it was my face. But it wasnt as bad as what I saw next. 

"Jin Rin! Get up!" I said, trying to push her off my body. 

She slowly opened her eyes and screamed and looked at me in shocked. 

Okay at least we still had our clothes on. So we didnt do anything. Phewwwwww... 

"What time is it now?" I asked her, while fixing my hair and picking up the 7 cans of beer that were on the ground. 

"7am" she replied after glancing onto her watch and checking herself.

Oh man this is embarressing... 

"I-I have to go now" she said, standing up. 

"Me too"

Awkward silence. 

"Okay then, Ill be off" I said and bowed a little before running off to the main road, to get a cab. 

Oh what the hell just happened? 


"Good morning Hyun Hyo!" the door slammed opened. 

Oh oh...