Safety

Unvoiced
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It's 4 in the morning when I decide to go out for a jog. Everyone's asleep and I make sure to take extra caution in sneaking out my window.

I nearly bumped into my dresser trying to find my jacket but thank God, I didn't. Else, I most likely would have woken Mina since she is placed right next to me and I'm almost 90% sure she's a light sleeper. 

In one fluid motion, I force the window up, remove the screen, and allow my right leg to go first. There's a roof beneath my window so it's not a straight drop down. I allow my window to close with a soft pop and I leap down onto the wet grass with ease.

It's definitely a different feel to Cavna, Stacia especially, during the night hours. All the crickets are chirping, the fireflies haven't left yet, and if you're lucky, you're able to spot a hare or deer here or there. 

As soon as I am sure that I'm only in the forest behind our house, I begin to jog. It's been a while since I've done this but it gives me some time to simply clear my head and think a bit more about what it is I'm going to do.

There's no way I'll give up on Mina but it might be for the best if I did. Like I was telling Tiff, I don't know what she's thinking and I most likely never will. I don't want our potential relationship to be based off my assumptions about what she wants. If she wants to be with me, that's what I want her to tell me. 

I think she knows that I like her. I practically made it obvious when I told her she was extremely beautiful the other day behind the grocery store. That's one of my problems: when I like someone, I tend to just make that too obvious. I never did learn to curv, despite the many times I scold myself that was what I was going to work on; I don't even remember liking someone as much as Mina. 

Regardless of Mina being very attractive, there's something weird about her, her personality, that attracts me to her. Maybe it's her emotionless exterior, the fact that she doesn't speak, her delicateness, her gentle way of going about things—the possibilities are endless.

In all honesty, she is someone I would never go for. If I were to meet her back during my freshman year, I would have given up trying to get her the second I found out she doesn't speak. I'm not a big fan of challenges and right about now, Mina is the biggest challenge I've faced yet. 

When I finally found a good place to clear my thoughts on, I place my hands on top of my head as I take in sharp breaths of air.

The sun is starting to rise as I begin to walk back home. I don't rush, I don't speed walk, I simply take my time strolling back home with my hands still placed on my head.

I missed being out in nature like this. Ever since last year, I've only been focused on soccer, grades, and college. My head was always in the books or out there on the field. Now that it's about a month in to summer, I can finally take up some of the things I missed doing. 

I chuckle to myself as I reminisce the day I saw Mina back at the auction. We weren't sup

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter