Freedom

Unvoiced
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"God, it sure does feel good to be out of that -hole," Tiffany says with a large sigh of relief. She chuckles to herself but there's something in her voice that tells me it's not as happy as it comes out.

Looking out the window at all the passing trees is her main focus right now, I smiled to myself upon seeing the excitement and life being returned back to her dark brown eyes. Her overall persona has a happier vibe, I totally forgot how happy she used to be back before her jailbird day.

She pulls at her dingy, orange jumpsuit and runs a hand through her messy hair. Her hands are clasped together and suddenly, she becomes very quiet and stares straight ahead at the roads.

"What's wrong?" I ask, she lightly shakes her head. 

"It's been so long, Mo. That jail is practically all I know." She sighs again and before I know it, her face is in her hands, all I get from her are sniffles and jumbled up words masked by sobs and hiccups.

I really don't know what to do since this is about the second time I've seen her cry and even the first time she cried in front of me, I didn't know what to do—good to see that things haven't changed. This is no time for jokes, I think, although I am starting to break out a smile. 

"You'll be okay," I say to her and I reach over to rub her shoulder. "I'll help you get your life back together and everything. Things will be fine. Once you're back on your feet doing your thing in Askew, you'll realize that you still got it." After wiping stray tears from her face, she smiles at me. 

"I'm such a mess," she laughs, still wiping her eyes and drying her nose with the sleeve of her jumpsuit. "I hate crying in front of people. It makes me feel so weak."

I scoff and side‐glance her. "You're the most bad- person I know, so don't give me that crap." We look at each other for a second before bursting into laughter, I'm still laughing by the time I pull into my driveway. 

"Whoa." After exiting the car, I can almost assure you that she stands there on the gravel staring up at my house for a good five minutes with agape and her eyes wide. As much as it is annoying, most people never do get the honor of seeing where I live... plus, it helps feed my ego. 

"Are you just going to stand there or come inside?" I call to her from the entrance.

She snaps out of her trace and comes running up the stairs. I'm not quite sure where Minho is, but I saw Mina cleaning the dining table which can only lead me to a conclusion that he's preparing for dinner. Taking Tiffany's wrist in my hand, I lead her up to my room. 

"What size do you wear?" I ask her as I begin to rummage through my dresser and then moving on to my closet. 

"Medium," she murmurs, cautious to sit down on my bed. "You have a really nice house." 

"Thanks. What can I say? It's pretty pricey." Tiffany's face says it all and I burst out laughing.

I never realized how much of a pun person I was but then again, Tiffany does bring out the teenager in me. She looks o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter