Strength

Unvoiced
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The kiss is all I'm thinking about the whole ride home. I want to say that it was a smart decision of what would advance me and Mina's relationship but in fact, it made everything so awkward and tense.

As if there wasn't any romantic and before, this only added on to it and made it more profound and obvious. Throughout the time we had to pack up our campsite and load things into our truck, we avoided eye contact with each other, small things such as our fingers touching or our faces being close together when we bent down to grab the same item resulted in one of us running away from the situation and finding something else to help with that didn't involve us being near each other or having to help one another. 

The more I thought about it, the more I realized that me and her, Mina and myself, would never be a thing. Me not knowing Mina's own feelings was enough on its own but then put the whole situation that went down two days ago in to the mix and all the signs are there.

I know I keep thinking the same thing and saying the same things over, and over again but that's because I didn't want to give up hope; I didn't want to give up on her. 

Mina doesn't pay a of attention to me while we're in the car. Her gaze is on the water droplets sliding down the window and the blurry images of the trees passing by, I can't help but stare at her.

I want her to want me so bad and I want her to at least try with me before I make any other decisions, but things are obvious, and by the time we get home, everything is back in its rightful place. Laying on my back as I threw my controller up in the air, I'm set on moving on and getting over her.

I suddenly remember Jihyo's phone number. I dialed her number and hope she picks up. I'm lost on what to say and I don't even know where to begin since it's been about a month or a month and a half since I last saw and spoke to her. There's so much to fill her in on but— 

"Hello?" My breath catches in my throat. 

"Jihyo Park?" 

"Uh, yeah, yeah, that's me. Who is this?" she asks, not recognizing my voice. 

"It's Hirai Momo. You were my little helper or whatever you want to be called when I had tore my muscle that one time during soccer practice," I explain to her, she nervously chuckles and begins to hesitate when we continuing speaking over the phone. 

"Oh! H‐Hey! I didn't think I'd be getting a call from you anytime soon... or ever," she says and there's a nervous laugh followed after, "what's up? Why'd you call? Sorry, was that too harsh? I mean, I wasn't expecting your call or hearing from you again because I thought you hated me and all and didn't want to see me or talk to me because I accidentally offended you and everything and I—" 

I start to laugh, she's still rambling on about how sorry she is and that she never meant to offend me and insult my tries. It's cute seeing her so flustered and worried. What I ask her next surprises my own self and I don't realize what I had said until she goes quiet.

"Would you like to go on a date with me?"

"I‐I, yes! I'd love to! I'm free tonight or any other night or day or which ever time you say is alright?" 

Smiling, I set my controller down and go to scavenge through my strewn and wrinkled clothes in my closet for something to wear for tonight.

"Okay, cool. Text me your address and I'll pick you up around 9:30." I hang up and soon after, I get her text with her address.

Maybe me and her is a good thing. I need to be able to explore my options. I can't keep going on with my head wrapped around Mina. Sometimes, the best thing to do is let go and move on and that's exactly what I'm doing now. 

She's just as beautiful as I remember her and when she gets in and fastens her seatbelt, it takes me a minute to remember that we're on a date since I'm so focused on getting lost in her deep, brown eyes.

I planned on taking her out for dinner and a movie, the cliché stuff. I know that as the "daughter of the most powerful people of Cavna" I would be doing something more extravagant and money‐hungry but people seem to forget the basic get‐to‐know‐you's of dating and that not everything is about making it so big and bold when you're not even sure if the relationship will last.

There's a classic burger joint about forty‐five minutes from my house which gives me a leeway to chat Jihyo up and feel a connection for her.

We casually start to talk about what she does for a living in full detail, giving me advice on what to expect out of my senior year and how I can prepare for college. Typical things I most likely would have never thought to bring up with Minho or my parents about high school and starting to set foot in making my own money. 

The whole thing about me being rich and top‐tier must have gone out the door since she didn't see me as that label anymore. She was explaining how hard it was working and the certain circumstances I could run into between co‐workers and bosses. She gave me tips on saving and spending money like I didn't have any and which degrees were best for various jobs like I would actually need to work. She saw me as

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter