There Are Two Parts to Every Story Pt. 2

The Tales of the Royalty

 

It's raining outside. Hard.

Rainy days always remind me of us. We'd always huddle together, on my bed. Whispering and giggling like two little kids. We'd laugh away our fear of the storm. I was never afraid, because I was with you, and you were with me.

Whenever we were together, I always felt like I could conquer the world; take on whatever it had to offer to me.

As long as you were with me.

The wind shrieks like a madman outside, causing the trees to rock back and forth with such force that their roots could detach at any moment. The rain pours down endlessly. When will it stop?

The phone lines are all dead, and with the rain pounding down outside, escaping seems virtually impossible.

But I have to do it.

I think of you. I can picture you in my mind. You're sitting next to your bed, your hands are over your ears, and your eyes are closed. You've always hated storms. My heart wrenches at the thought of your state of helplessness and hopelessness.

I jump off of my bed. I've made up my mind.

I'm coming to get you. To get you back into my arms. I'm the only person who can protect you, keep you safe.

I leave everything behind: my umbrella, my raincoat, my jacket.

I bring with me: my apology, my protection, my heart.

I bolted out of my front door and into the rain, and a feeling of freedom overwhelms me. I have just broken away from the confines of my home, which was suffocating me, preventing me from seeing you.

I run in the rain, with the wind and rain lashing at my face, and my hair whipping into my eyes. I am temporarily blinded; both by the storm and by love.

I pause, panting. I feel the cold rainwater on my skin. It feels somewhat refreshing, like taking a cold shower. I look up at the sky. I can't even see the sky. It's as if the heavens had opened up, pouring the world's tears onto my skin.

I close my eyes and savor the moment. I feel cleansed, renewed. I am a whole new person.

I set my eye-sight at the distance in front of me. I know by heart where you are. We've come to the point in our relationship where I don't have to find you through my eyes, but rather through the connection between our hearts.

I run. I run, bumping into tree trunks, tripping over bushes, and knocking over garden gnomes along the way.

I am bleeding from the numerous cuts, scrapes, and splinters that mark my arms. But I am oblivious to the pain.

I finally reach your place. I stand outside your door, panting, with my shirt clinging onto my back. I reach up to knock, but pull back.

I feel like a coward, a good-for-nothing coward.

I finally knock. Once. Twice. Three times.

I realize that you're probably too frightened by the storm to come and answer the door.

I race around to your backyard, to your rose garden, where we spent most of our time planting the big, beautiful, blood-red roses. We planted them together.

They are still alive, and blooming well.

I look up at your window. Dark.

The electricity in your house must have gone off also. I yell up at you, I scream your name, I flail my arms wildly. But you don't hear me.

I climb the small grapevine that snakes along the exterior walls of your house. My arms and legs are aching from running so much, but nevertheless, I begin to climb. My arms are shaking, telling me that they are unable to hold my weight. With one final push, I hoist myself up and tumble onto your balcony. I lay there, in a puddle of cold rainwater, my body convulsing and shivering.

Everything finally starts to hurt: the abrasions, the pounding rain, and most of all, my heart.

Where are you?

My eyes have been shut due to the pain and my lack of breath. When I finally open them, I see you standing at the window; your mouth is wide open. I give you what I think is a weakened smile, but it may have come off more as a twitch of my face.

I want to get up and run and envelop you in my arms. I want to exterminate your fear. I want to be your black knight.

I feel like I've failed you. I'm so weak, so worthless. I now regret coming here. I regret letting you see me like this. I try hoisting myself up, but my arms give way, and I collapse onto the cold balcony once more.

I hear the doors burst open, and I feel your tiny, yet warm arms around me, dragging me into your room. You immediately, after shutting the doors again, wrap a towel around my quivering, futile body.

You pabo! What the hell are you doing? Your cries hurt me even more.

I-I wanted to see you, because I know that you'd be afraid and alone.

You ! You're all wet, and sticky, and ! You're bleeding from everywhere on your body! What the hell has gotten into that thick head of yours?

You curse, you yell. But I know that you do this because you care. Why else would the tears be readily streaming from your eyes? If you truly didn't care about me; truly hated me, then you would have left me there on the balcony in the rain.

I-I'm sorry. I'm sorry. No matter how many times I say it, I can never forgive myself for hurting you. I can't even look at you. Whenever I do, I feel guilty. I try hoisting myself up, but my arms give out, and I slump back down onto the carpet, my head hitting the ground with a loud THUD.

Yah! What are you doing? You're still weak...damn it, and your temperature is rising. Hold on. Don't you DARE move! I'll be right back.

I hear the soft sounds of your footsteps scurrying away. I let out a long, deep sigh. The room around me is spinning, as I am on a Merry-Go-Round and can't get off. I want to throw up, to regurgitate everything that I'm holding inside.

Unconsciously, I let out a groan. It sounded inhuman, so unfamiliar that I wondered if it was really coming from me.

. You're still bleeding. I wince as you pour some antibiotics onto my arms and legs. Although the pain is excruciating, the one in your heart must have been even more painful.

I-I'm fine. Don't worry about me...

Don't worry about you? Don't WORRY about you? The are you saying? You're lying here, in my bedroom, bleeding all over the place, running a ing high fever, and you're DRIPPING WET!

I wince at every single word that is coming out of your mouth right now. Your voice is so loud to me right now. My senses have all heightened, not in a good way. I feel sensitive to the touch, sensitive to hearing, and God knows what else. I felt my head suddenly being lifted up. I'm now laying on your lap, and instead of staring up at the ceiling, I'm looking up at your shining eyes.

You really had me worried, you know that? How could you be such a pabo?

I-I lov-

You place a soft finger onto my lips, shushing me. You start my hair, and your touch leaves goosebumps on my drying skin.

I shudder again, not knowing if it was from my wet clothing, or from your chaste touch.

Pabo. Pabo. Pabo. Why would you ever do this? Are you crazy? You continue to softly chastise me, while continuing to run your fingers through my still soggy and limp hair.

I couldn't just leave you alone.

You still remember?

Of course. How can I forget? Look, Sunny, I'm really sorry for what I've done to you. I hurt you, I used you, I played with your innocent heart. You deserve much, much better than me, so just forget about me-

So, you run all the way across town in this hellish weather, friggin trip over like every ing thing in your way, causing you to bleed half to death, and now, you're lying here, in my room, all drenched in rainwater, and you're telling me to just forget about you? You really area pabo, you know that?

I'm speechless. Why are you so willing to forgive me?

Sooyoung, have you looked at yourself? You're a mess! How can I not forgive you after what you've just done for me? Yes, in many ways, you were stupid, and heartless, and careless, but the past is the past. You cup my face and stare down at me even more intensely, moving your face closer to mine. You had tears gleaming in your eyes. You're here now, and that's all that matters.

I use all of the strength I had left in me and sit straight up. My head still feels really dizzy, and my arms are trembling, unable to support my weight any longer. I throw my arms around you before I collapse again. Thank you.

You nuzzle your damp face into my neck. I should be the one thanking you. Thank you for coming back to me, for remembering me.

I continue holding you in my arms, and you lean into me. I don't realize that you're crying until I feel my shirt dampening again.

Please don't cry. You know I can't take it when you cry. I'm right here.

That's why I'm crying. I'm crying because you're here. I'm so happy.

I wipe your tears away and you hug me, once more.

Don't leave me ever again.

Don't worry. I'm right here. I'll always be right here, with you.