Chapter 79

You are My Destiny

‘Nara, did you have fun?’ Raina asked Nara later that evening, now that they were back in the HQs.

The ice wall had yet to melt and eventually, they’d gotten tired of hanging around at the Black Pearl. Kai, having recovered from his earlier exhaustion, had paced himself and brought them all back in pairs.

The girls were currently gathered around in Angel’s room and everyone was teasing everyone else about something of the other. This time, Nara had joined them too.

Nara thought about the question seriously, leading to a round of cooing over her cuteness.

‘She’s adorable,’ Raina insisted vehemently, hugging Nara close. ‘So adorable!’   

‘That she is,’ Kyra responded patiently. ‘But I think you’re scaring her.’

To their surprise, Nara shook her head. ‘It’s nice,’ she told them, returning Raina’s hug.

‘Aw,’ Raina cooed again. ‘That’s it! I’m adopting her!’

The rest laughed and talked amongst themselves. Tiffany was doing something with Mei’s hair as she fussed about something she’d done wrong in a quiz, with Angel occasionally throwing in a few words.

Rose sat quietly in the corner, enjoying the camaraderie and sorely missing Lily. Despite the welcome she’d gotten, she still sometimes felt out of place because all of these people were originally Lily’s friends and at times, she didn’t quite know what to do with herself around them.

Mostly though, her mind was focused on Chen. It was stupid; she was stupid. She knew that the reason Chen’s eyes turned gentle when he looked at her was not her, it was Star. The fond look in his eyes, when he thought no one was looking, that sometimes stayed in place when they locked gazes… it wasn’t for her. It was for Star and Star only.

Yet she couldn’t stop her heart from fluttering every single time. And it hurt when he disregarded her, Rose, because he couldn’t find Star.

Like today.

It was stupid, she knew that. But that didn’t make it hurt any less and it didn’t make her feel any better that Star was hiding. She almost wished Star would come back, just so he would look at her like that again, ask her if she as doing okay, give her little gifts under the ruse of sharing because he knew Star enjoyed them.

She was stupid, so, so stupid.

Don’t be sad, Lose.

The sound was very faint but it perked her up nonetheless.

Star?

There was no response. She frowned, not liking it. Star had taken to hiding these days and her presence had become less and less prominent. Initially, Rose had thought it was because she had pushed Star too far back but that wasn’t it.

Star could still take over if she wanted. Now that she was living with the Legends, it was a less scary prospect than before. But Star hadn’t attempted to, not once. And Rose hadn’t thought too much about it but with Chen’s eyes holding worry when he looked past her to find Star… she wondered if there was something else going on.

She was pulled out from her thoughts as Angel suddenly jumped, looking ready to throw up.

‘Angel?’ Kyra asked, concerned.

‘What is that smell?’ she asked faintly, covering her nose.

Mei picked the bottle from the vanity. ‘This?’

‘Throw it away,’ Angel ordered, sounding queasy. ‘I think I’m going to be sick…’

They watched in surprise as Angel rushed to the toilet and there was sounds of her actually throwing up. Mei locked gazes with the rest of in the room before sniffing the perfume in her hands. ‘It doesn’t smell bad?’

‘Do you think…’ Raina began hesitantly, ‘that she might be….?’

‘Pregnant?’ Tiffany completed for her. ‘That might explain why she wants to throw away a perfectly good perfume.’

Kyra stood up, knocking on the door. ‘Angel, you okay?’

There were sounds of more throwing up. Kyra frowned. ‘I’m coming in, alright?’

Rose stood up too, feeling Star becoming more alert than she’d been the entire day, as they crowded near the door to see Kyra help Angel, holding hair back as she threw up seemingly everything they had eaten before slumping.

‘Better?’ Kyra asked, rubbing her back soothingly.

Angel nodded before shaking her head and heaving once again. Kyra held her gently, glancing around. ‘Get something for her to drink, she’ll be exhausted after this. And some dry biscuits or something light.’

She kept murmuring soothing words as Angel emptied her stomach and helped her stand when she was finally done. Angel’s complexion was clammy when she collapsed on the bed, exhausted.

Kyra forced her to down a few crackers and a glass of juice once her stomach had settled. ‘Thanks,’ Angel murmured exhaustedly, leaning her head into Raina’s shoulder. Nara looked very lost but she held Angel’s hand and patted it comfortingly. It made Angel smile.

‘You’re really good at this,’ she said to Kyra, after some color had returned to her cheeks.

‘Chemo used to make me very sick,’ Kyra responded matter-of-factly, surprising Rose. Star, though, was completely focused on Angel as she’d been since Angel had gone rushing to the toilet.

‘Chemo?’ she asked.

‘Oh yeah, you don’t know about that…’ Tiffany muttered. Rose felt that sense of being an outsider again. Of course it was hardly intentional, but that didn’t lessen the feeling.

‘Kyra is a cancer survivor,’ Raina told her, probably picking on her mood in that way of hers. ‘The doctors thought it was terminal but she fought it off.’ She sounded very proud of her friend, making the rest smile.

‘I had no idea,’ Rose muttered, looking at Kyra with newfound respect. ‘You’re always so… positive.’

Kyra smiled, looking at Raina. ‘I had very staunch supporters who wouldn’t let me give up.’

Raina nodded vehemently. ‘It’s what you deserve!’

Rose was reminded very strongly of Lily in that moment. Her sister had fought for her even when she’d been in a coma for over a year and the doctors had all but given up. She wouldn’t even be here if it weren’t for her family… and Star.

If Lay was to be believed – and he hadn’t given her any reason not to –  Star, for all the danger she posed, was Rose’s savior. Star, picking on her thoughts, once again did the thing that felt like a hug.

Star loves Lose.

The sincere intensity of it made her tear up.

‘Rose?’ Raina sounded surprised. ‘You okay?’

‘You are a very good friend,’ she said, choked.

Raina’s face softened and she hugged her close. ‘Your family loves you,’ she muttered, somehow picking exactly on what Rose was feeling. ‘And you deserve all of it.’  

Rose nodded into her neck. ‘I’m lucky to have them.’

There was a collective ‘aww’ and then, she felt the rest joining the hug. Angel, too tired to move, held her hand and she could feel Nara’s hesitant pats on her head.

The door opened just then and Tae spoke up. ‘Oh? You guys are having cuddle party without me?’

She sounded so outraged that it made everyone laugh as they broke up and Raina jumped up to tackle her into a hug as well.

………………………………………

‘I’m hungry,’ Lily muttered into Xiumin’s chest.

‘Hmm…’ he responded, sounding sleepy.

She poked his ribs, making him squirm. ‘Xiumin, I’m hungry.’

‘So?’ he asked, opening one eye.

‘Let me get up.’

He tightened his arms around her. ‘No.’

She laughed. ‘Come on…’

He shook his head, pulling her close. ‘I just got you back,’ he muttered, peppering kisses on her face. ‘Not letting you go.’

She sighed. ‘I’m not going anywhere farther than the kitchen.’ Her stomach grumbled.

He laughed. ‘Okay, okay…’  

He made a show of it, slowly loosening his arms so she could slide out. She picked his discarded shirt, buttoning it up to cover herself. She heard him get up as well.

‘You should sleep- woah!’ Her world whirled as he swung her up, arms wrapping around his shoulders instinctively. ‘What are you doing?’ she asked breathlessly.

He didn’t answer, padding out while holding her. ‘Xiumin?’

He deposited her on the kitchen counter beside the stove. She watched in amused bemusement as he pulled out pots and pans, lighting up the stove and turned the coffee pot on.

She made to get down but his stern gaze stayed her. She shrugged; it wasn’t like she minded if he cooked for her. He slid her some cookies that she munched on while he whipped up a quick meal. When it was ready, he carefully decorated a tray and set it on the table before coming to stand beside her.

Amused, she lifted her arms and was pleasantly surprised when he complied, pulling her into his arms and carrying her to the table, sitting her in his lap. She giggled.

‘Should I ask?’

He met her gaze and his eyes were red once again, although this time it was tinged heavily with affection rather than unhinged anger.

‘Just let me take care of you,’ he said, the growl in his voice back once again.

It made butterflies erupt in her tummy because it made him sound so unbearably y.

‘Okay.’ She opened . ‘Feed me.’

He nipped at her ear, clearly picking on her teasing tone but obliged. It was, like many of the things she’d done only with Xiumin, the first time she was letting someone feed her while they snuggled. It felt surprisingly nice.

He didn’t let go when they were done, just holding her close. She closed her eyes and let his presence sooth her.

Much as she hated to admit it, Lay had been right. This was exactly what she’d needed and it seemed like she did owe him a thank you.

Which reminded her…

‘Do you think they were able to get out?’ she asked aloud.

‘Who?’ Xiumin didn’t sound like he cared.

‘Everyone that you threw that… explosive snow thing at?’

‘Explosive snow…? S***!’ he cursed, sitting up quickly. She jostled wildly before he grabbed her close. ‘Sorry, sorry… I completely forgot about them…’

She laughed at the expression on his face.

‘Don’t laugh at my misery,’ he whined, standing up while holding her like she weighed nothing. Her stomach swooped. ‘Who knows what kind of damage I’ve done?!’

‘That’s never happened before though,’ she pointed out. They’d been ually active before their break up and unlike the rest of the Legends, Xiumin’s powers getting out of control had never been an issue.

‘I’ve never gone through a fever before,’ he returned, pulling out his phone while still supporting her weight with one arm. Damn.

‘Xiumin,’ she said, wrapping her arms tighter around him. ‘I’ve already slept with you, you don’t have to do that to impress me.’

He looked at her questioningly, phone put on one ear. She fanned herself as he talked with… Suho.

‘Congratulations…’ was how Suho answered the phone, ‘on finally growing a pair.’ 

Xiumin growled at that as she laughed. ‘Just kidding. You guys okay?’

‘Yes,’ Xiumin replied curtly. ‘Damage?’

‘To the Black Pearl, mostly. You might want to check the walls because both Luhan and D.O tried to break the ice wall you erected. Also, there might some fire damage from Chanyeol. Other than that… it’s just heavy off-season snowfall.’

Xiumin sighed. ‘Just?’

‘You didn’t snow the whole city in. I think that’s good news.’

‘Ugh!’ Xiumin replied succinctly.

‘Well, nothing you can do about it now. Go back to Lily and have fun.’ Suho signed off cheerfully.

Xiumin sat down heavily, pulling her close and burying his head in her shoulder, whining. She patted his head, letting him vent until he decided he’d whined enough and started kissing her shoulder.

‘Shouldn’t we go down and see the damage?’ she asked weakly.

He shook his head, busy making his way up her neck, lips feathering over the mark. ‘Nothing we can do about it now,’ he muttered, clearly distracted.

She sighed, but tilted her head obligingly. He was right, after all. There was nothing they could do now.

………………………………….....

A/N

Hello

I know I've been AWOL but you know how it is. Life happens and sometimes, you gotta put your fanfics aside. But I've been writing, so we have plenty of update material and I'll hopefully be able to update on a weekly basis. I'm at the end of this arc and it's taking all I have - it's a bit like pulling teeth, if I'm being honest but I made a vow that I will finish this and another one of my unfinished works before this year's end or posting anything new, and I really wanna stick to that resolution. So... yeah. Also, we won't be seeing any more of Kris from now on because I honestly can't bring myself write about him anymore. So, that's a character arc we'll say goodbye to.

Anyway, hopefully I may still have some readers left. If you're here, thank you so much for your support. Love you. 

Bye ~