Chapter 69

You are My Destiny

Something he probably knew…

Xiumin wondered for the hundredth time what it could be and came up with a blank. He just didn’t understand. It didn’t seem like Lily was sick, not in the true sense of the word. But there was definitely something up with her and she definitely didn’t want him to know about it.

What could she be hiding?

‘She’s pregnant!’ Tae gasped.

Xiumin started at the unexpected announcement, forgetting that he hadn’t said any of his thoughts aloud, so it couldn’t possibly the answer to his question.

He shook his head, turning to see Tae typing in rapidly on her phone.

‘Who’s pregnant?’ he asked when it became apparent that the news was getting no further updates.

‘Hm?’ Tae looked up, hiding her phone guiltily. ‘Uh… no one?’

Xiumin frowned, arching his brow and Tae immediately slumped. ‘The main character from the fanfiction I was reading… it’s really interesting and the plot twists, oh my gawd!’ She flailed around before composing herself and clearing . ‘I mean, it’s very well written.’

Xiumin blinked, glancing from Tae to her phone. ‘O-kay. Well, get back to work.’

‘I’m taking a break, Ken’s filling in for me!’ she replied brightly, going back to her phone. Ken grumbled from his spot near the entrance. Xiumin looked around, noticing the increasing number of customers.

‘I’m going to ask Tiffany and Raina to join us again.’

‘Yes, please do… it’s so boring with no one to talk to!’ Tae spoke up immediately.

‘Go back to reading.’ Tae nodded sheepishly and Xiumin resumed stacking the cups.

Although, now that Tae had said it, he had to wonder. What were the signs of someone being pregnant?

‘I’ll be in my office,’ he announced after a while, sneaking back to the room and closing the door firmly behind him.

Lily’s scent was still infused in the room from her previous visit and there was this layer to her scent that he hadn’t paid attention to before, even days old as it was. He had noticed that her scent was far more potent that it’d ever been before and it begged the question…

He deliberated asking Lay but the Legend would probably give him attitude about keeping Lily’s secrets or something. He’d noticed Lay’s passive aggressive attitude towards him.

He could ask his Shadow, though. Suho was mated after all and had quite the active love life. But he’d rather not, frankly, involve any of his brothers in this matter. They were nosy enough as it was.

After agonizing over it for several minutes, he pulled out his cellphone to search.

What are the signs of pregnancy?

Somehow, typing in the word made his fingers slippery and he had to try a few times before he got it right.

The results opened up pages upon pages of results and he gulped, glancing at the door to make sure it was closed before opening the first link.

Fatigue. Well, Lily was definitely fatigued, her eye bags speaking of sleepless nights.  

Faintness and dizziness… she’d collapsed in his arms, fainting. He’d also noticed her holding her head while she’d been working here… could it be that she was dizzy?

Raised body temperature. This he knew for sure – she’d literally been burning up any time he’d managed to touch her. Even her siblings had commented on it.

Mood swings. Uh, yeah. She was definitely having those, going from soft and vulnerable to irritable and prickly within the span of minutes.

Lower back pain. He’d seen her rubbing her back and sighing after making the bed.

Tender, swollen s…

He blinked, bombarded with salacious images before he shook his head, face heating up. No, this was not the time to get distracted. 

Of course, it was easier said than done. Now that he’d read it, it was all he could think about.

There was no way for him to know if her, well, her body parts were… like that but dammit, now he really wanted to find out. And his beast decided that this was a great time to remember the times he’d gotten to touch said body parts.

He groaned, rubbing his face, his head feeling like it was on fire.

This was obviously a bad idea that held no merit. If it was something like this, something so serious, Lily would tell him...

Or would she?

She was really angry with him. And he knew how fiercely independent she was. And he hadn’t done himself any favors after her return, or even before that.

It was entirely possible. Both that she was pregnant and that she wasn’t telling him about it.  

In fact, the more he thought about it, the more it made sense. She hadn’t put up a fight at their breaking up, not like he’d thought – hoped – she would.

At that time, he’d justified it as concern about her family. But she’d made sure to thoroughly disappear, so no one, not even Leo or Rose, knew where she was. He’d thought it was only her protectiveness towards her family speaking but what if… what if…

What if she was protecting something even more precious?

His fingers were trembling when he lowered them, staring unseeingly at the desk.

It was possible. They’d never used any protection, had never felt the need to. They’d only been intimate with each other, so there was no risk of illness. Legends couldn’t impregnate anyone that was not their mate. And with him being unable to complete his claim, perhaps a part of him had wanted to mark her in a different way…

His mind flashed to the bruise on her neck. Lay insisted that he knew what it was and how she’d gotten it before she left…

He gasped, sitting up.

Right before leaving for that fateful battle, he’d taken her against the wall, angry at her questions, at her doubting what she meant to him. He’d been almost delirious at that time, only the thought of marking her filling his head. And when they’d ed, he’d-

There was a knock on the door, jarring him out of his thoughts. He blinked, heart racing like he’d been running. If this was true, if-

‘Um, I can come back later.’

‘Huh?’ He blinked at the statement, shaking his head and forcing himself to focus on the person in front of him.

Ken smiled nervously. ‘Nothing, you’re probably busy. I’ll come back-‘

‘No!’

Ken stopped, wide-eyed at his outburst. Xiumin shook his head again, trying to gather his racing thoughts as he stood up.

‘I have to go somewhere, so I’m leaving you in charge here. Do what you need to do, and if something comes up that you can’t handle, just note it down. I’ll get to it later.’

‘O-okay, boss!’ He saluted with two fingers, yelping when Xiumin unceremoniously pushed him out of the way.

‘I guess I’ll just do it myself then,’ Ken muttered, watching his boss dash out of the shop.

………………………………………

Lay was leaning over Angel, who was cradled in Suho’s arms, when Xiumin burst in.

‘She’s pregnant! That’s it, isn’t it?’ he asked, eyes wild.

Angel yelped, sitting up quickly and pulling a duvet over herself.

Suho glared at him, snarling, ‘Knock before you enter!’

Xiumin waved his hand dismissively. ‘Whatever.’ He addressed the healer. ‘That’s it, right?’

Lay looked at him with pity before shaking his head. ‘No, that’s not it.’

He leaned over Angel again, his hands glowing.

Xiumin eyed them for a moment. ‘What are you doing?’

‘Making sure they’re both doing well.’ Lay replied distractedly, eyes focused and beginning to turn red. Xiumin frowned. Both? But Suho obviously hadn’t gotten any treatment or he would’ve felt it…

‘Wait, Angel’s pregnant?’ he asked, confused.

Suho frowned. ‘You weren’t talking about her?’

Xiumin shook his head. ‘Why would I ask about her?’

Suho obviously didn’t like his answer, launching into a lecture about why Angel’s health was very important for the entire pack because she was carrying the future alpha in her womb.

Angel smacked him before he could continue. ‘Stop talking about me as if I’m not here,’ she snapped, putting her hands up in a silent demand to be lifted up.

Suho had the grace to look sheepish, bending down to help her sit up. Now that Xiumin noticed, Angel was looking a little… healthier, if he were to put it that way. And glowing, both with happiness and with pinkness in her cheeks.

And then, Suho’s words really registered. ‘Hold up, Angel’s pregnant?’ he asked, feeling a bit shocked. And happy. But mostly shocked. Holy…

Suho’s face was quite the sight when Xiumin engulfed him in a hug, a mix of pride, fear, and shock much like Xiumin’s own. Like he couldn’t quite believe he was going to be a father.

‘When did you find out?’ he asked, turning to look at Angel. She smiled, hands coming to rest against her as yet flat stomach.

‘Just a few days ago. We didn’t say anything because… well, because…’

Xiumin smiled, shaking his head. ‘You don’t have to explain this to me. I’m just really happy for you both. Congratulations!’

Angel blushed. ‘Thanks.’

‘So,’ Suho began conversationally, ‘who did you think was pregnant?’

Xiumin flushed. ‘Er…’

‘Ohmygod, Lily’s pregnant?!’ Angel exclaimed, clapping her hands. ‘Aw, no wonder she’s being so moody. Aww!’ She looked at Xiumin so affectionately, he blushed. ‘I’m so happy for you guys!’

‘That’s not what I-‘ Xiumin began but Suho spoke over him. ‘So, was that why you guys broke up?’

‘What?’ Xiumin shook his head. ‘No!’

‘When’s she due?’ Angel asked, leaning forward.

‘You’re right,’ Suho continued their conversation. ‘It makes no sense to call things off like that… but you said you didn’t claim her?’ He frowned, turning to Lay. ‘Is it possible?’

Lay shrugged, a naughty smile on his face. ‘For all we know.’

Xiumin bristled. ‘Okay, you know that’s not-‘

‘She’s not really showing much for someone who’s six months along.’ Angel commented. Xiumin shut up, blindsided with the image of Lily carrying his child. He flushed so hard, he was sure steam was coming off his head.

‘Aw, look at you, you’re so shy!’ Angel giggled, uncharacteristically bold. It was probably the hormones. Lay giggled with her, smirking unrepentantly when Xiumin glared at him.

‘I’ll leave you guys to finish up,’ he ground out, turning on his heel and marching out. It was only when he reached his room that he let himself breath, touching his cheeks. They still felt hot, and his entire being felt flushed.

It wasn’t something he’d ever considered, especially since he’d been unable to claim Lily in the first place. He’d never consciously given thought to having a child. Previously because he’d not been interested in anyone. And when he’d found Lily, he’d been too focused on staking his claim and hadn’t paid mind to what it entailed.

Having a mate meant building – or at least, getting a shot at building a family. Given that they were the last survivors of their race, they owed at least this much to their ancestors. But frankly, he’d never been interested in that. With his history, he’d planned – in the back of his mind where most of the convictions resided – to end his tragedy with himself.

But with Lily… everything changed. Just the thought of her being with a child, his child… it twisted something primal in him. More than just the legend, it brought out his own instincts.

He let out a measured breath, trying to calm himself down. No matter what the others thought, Lay had told him that Lily wasn’t expecting. This meant that his question was still unanswered. But he had to be close, right?

Letting out a frustrated sigh, he threw himself face down on his bed.

………………………………………