Chapter 31

You are My Destiny

'I'm sorry man,' Doojoon sounded contrite, 'but coach's not listening to anyone.'

'Yeah…' Minho rubbed the back of his head, looking guilty, 'tough luck man.'

Luhan sighed dejectedly. It wasn't as if he didn't understand where coach was coming from but that didn't mean Mei wasn't upset and refusing to talk to him, even though he had called her so many times already.

He sent her a text instead, apologizing and promising he would make it up to her. How, he had no idea but he would definitely figure something out.

…………………………….

Mei wouldn't stop sobbing and after struggling for hours, Tiffany managed to drag it out of her. After comforting her friend the best she could, she finally emerged from the bedroom.

'Luhan's not going to be able to come home this weekend,' she told Kai who'd been pacing nervously outside her room.

Kai sighed, having figured that much already but he could also feel Luhan's misery through his Shadow's link and it felt like he was caught between a rock and hard place – both were important to him and yet, he couldn’t do anything to help either.  

'He promised her he'd take her to the carnival…' He shook his head sadly.

'Wait, is that what this is about?' Sehun was slumped against the wall, watching Kai pace. He straightened, 'The carnival?'

'Uh…'

'Dude, tell her she can tag along!' He splayed his hands as if it was the simplest thing.

Kai and Tiffany fixed him with identical judgmental stares.

'What?' he asked defensively.

'It's not about the carnival, idiot!' Kai thumped his head irritably. 'She wanted to spend time with Luhan. Geez.'

'But…' Sehun blinked uncomprehendingly, 'like, doesn't she already? They're sharing the room and everythin- ow, what was that for?'

'Just because your mate is in the same class as you doesn't mean everyone is like that!' Kai hit his head again.

'It's been ages since they went out,' Tiffany's eyes were b with sympathetic tears, 'Poor Mei.'

Sehun's eyes widened, confounded. 'So… she's crying because she wants to go on a date?'

'Just shut up,' Tiffany snapped, irritated. 'Try to be a little sensitive.'

'I'm-' he began indignantly.

'She's crying because she's missing him,' Kai explained patiently, rolling his eyes. 'You and Tiffany, like Tao and Raina, are always together, in the university and at home, so you guys don’t realize it… but Luhan's completed his studies and most days, he comes home really late. They barely manage to speak with each other because Mei's got her studies and he's too tired from practice. So they're practically strangers these days… except, you know, they sleep together.'

Sehun's eyes had rounded in shock. 'How do you know all that?' He asked in awe.

'Observation,' Kai sniffed snobbishly, 'elementary, my dear Sehun.'

'So like… she's gonna keep crying?'

They all eyed each other helplessly. It was one thing to understand what was going on but how long were they supposed to let her lock herself inside? She hadn't even eaten anything all morning and Angel had been concerned, asking Tiffany to check if everything was alright. Tiffany had asked and it was as if a dam had burst loose.

'I hope not,' Tiffany muttered uncomfortably.

Sehun's patience had reached its limit by now. 'That's it!' he straightened and threw Mei's door open, marching inside.

'You're coming with us,' he announced, pointing a finger at Mei – who looked up, blearily surprised, 'Huh?'

'To the carnival and that's final!'

'But…'

'No buts, you're coming. Now stop crying and come out, everyone's worried.'

Mei looked up at his face, smiling but the lingering hints of worry in his eyes, to Tiffany and Kai peering inside anxiously and felt a smile break out before it wobbled, a fresh bout of tears spilling out.

'Idiot,' she mumbled fondly.

'Hey!' Sehun objected indignantly but Tiffany shushed him before hugging her friend. Sehun eyed them reluctantly before wrapping his long arms around the duo and patting Mei's head, running off before either girl could react.

'He's sweet,' Mei sniffed, smiling at Tiffany.

'Like honey,' Tiffany nodded in agreement.

……………………………….

'So…?' Tae wiggled her brows teasingly, 'Chanyeol's taking you to the carnival? Hmm?'

Nara nodded, flushing under her friend's gaze. 'We decided on the aspects we'll cover this time…' she muttered, not really understanding why her stomach was fluttering so much. A moment of pondering told her it was because she was excited. Her lips rounded in a surprised 'O' and she hurriedly pulled out her logbook, noting down the feeling.

I'm getting butterflies…

'Aw, really?' Tae peered over her shoulder. 'That's great, it means he's doing the romance right.'

Nara eyed her with bright-eyed interest, 'Really?'

'Yeah… if you're excited about the idea of hanging out with him, then he's definitely doing it right,' Tae nodded authoritatively. 'Hey Ken, listen to this!'

Ken shot her an aggravated look over his shoulder, serving coffee to the customer before hurrying to their side. 'Can you not yell? Xiumin's in the office and I do not want him to come out.'

Tae stuck her tongue out but lowered her voice because the few glimpses she had caught of the shop's elusive owner justified Ken's fear. 'Sure sure, check this out,' She Nara's logbook under his nose. He frowned at the sentence, 'So?'

'So?' Tae repeated, 'So our baby's all grown up and ready to fly – she's found the perfect man, who can make her feel butterflies, make her feel butterflies…' she flailed dramatically before sniffing, 'I'm so happy for her!'

Ken made a face at her before ruffling Nara's hair fondly, 'So you're happy?' He asked, smiling.

Nara considered it seriously.

Her research had progressed more with Chanyeol than it had with any other candidate she'd had so far – with the possible exception of Tae who was a force unto herself – and she'd gotten to test almost all her hypotheses, even had new ones made due to his contribution and he was exceptionally attuned to her curiosity, urging her to explore whatever ideas she got.

Even ones that required his participation – like letting her press her ear to his chest so she could feel the vibrations as he talked, his hand cupping her neck to keep it in place. He didn't seem to mind that she often forgot personal boundaries – Ken had explained them to her when they'd first befriended each other – and he seemed perfectly satisfied to listen to her whenever she shared her ideas.

She didn't feel self-conscious around him, nor did she feel socially inept and she was almost more comfortable with him than she was with Tae and Ken. It made her smile and she nodded excitedly. 'Yes.'

'That's great,' Ken smiled before leaning in seriously, 'but if he ever gives you trouble, tell me. I'll beat him up.'

She shook her head solemnly, 'He's very strong – you'll get hurt.'

'Hey, you've seen these?' He flexed his biceps, 'They're not for show.'

'But…' she began, then shut up. Chanyeol still hadn’t explained why his eyes turned red or about the other stuff – like smoke and fire that had shot from his fingers when the bookshelf had crashed over them – but he'd promised her he'd tell her everything. What if he wanted to keep it a secret?

'Okay,' she nodded. 'I'll tell you.'

'That's my girl,' Ken ruffled her hair again, 'now if you'll excuse me, I've got coffee to serve.'

…………………………

'You wanna go to the carnival with me?'

Raina missed her step, slipping on her foot and landing painfully on her back. 'Ow…' she pouted, rubbing her head before raising her eyes to meet the amused ones of her mate, who was looming over her and smirking amusedly.

'I'll take that as a yes.' He snickered as time, per habit, slowed down so she could admire every single strand of his hair that fell in his eyes. It was distracting so she looked away. 

'It's not funny,' she groaned, sitting up and rubbing the back of her head.

'No,' he agreed, squatting in front of her and making her shiver at the proximity, 'it's very funny.'

'You're a meanie,' she told his shoulder because looking at him meant she'd lose her tongue again.

'You're an idiot,' he told her, smirking that smirk which made dry up. Then his words registered and she pouted sulkily, making him laugh again.

'So…' he asked, picking up her hand to tangle their fingers together, 'do you wanna go?'

She stared at the point their hands joined, feeling unreasonably happy and nodded, blushing.

'Great,' he stood up abruptly, pulling her up, 'let's go then.'

'Huh?' She blinked, still a little dazed. 'Where?'

'Shopping!' He announced happily, dragging her out of her room, 'we need couple outfits!'

Giggling – because sometimes Tao acted more like a girl than she did – she skipped after him.

……………………………

'Talk to her,' Chen hollered after him. As if actually dragging him half the way wasn't enough. D.O face-palmed and tried to remind himself that his Shadow meant well.

'Go away,' he growled over his shoulder, quickening his steps before Chen did something even more outrageous.

'FIGHTING!!!!' The loud cheer followed him as he hurriedly turned the corner.

It would be the first time after the bite – almost over a month – that he was going to be in her presence. He hoped he was ready.

As he neared the student counsellor's office, her scent – which had been keeping him up all these nights with its increasing potency, the tinge of arousal downright intoxicating – enveloped him and brought his beast to the forefront.

He didn’t let that bother him though. He prided himself on his self-control and after that last incident, he'd spent a lot of time disciplining himself. Besides, not ravishing her while she went around carrying his mark and basically inviting him with her pheromones was no small feat, especially not with instincts like his, so he was confident.

Straightening his collar – he'd taken time with his appearance today and had even (reluctantly) taken Chen's advice about loosening the button of his shirt, forearms exposed and hair pushed back to show his forehead – he knocked on the door.

'Please come in,' her voice floated out, tingling his ears most pleasantly.

He pushed on the door and stepped inside.

…………………………….

Kyra had started noting down her memories as they returned and tried, with Raina's help, to arrange them in a chronological order. The timeline she'd made had gotten steadily filled up and most of the events from when she'd first met D.O to the battle in which she'd died – it felt strange to say that – were in place.

It struck her as funny, in a morbid way, that she remembered dying but didn't remember D.O. After her breakdown last night, she'd been steadily bothered by this fact. Like she was a psychologist, how had she not picked on this?

Sighing, feeling utterly dejected, she reviewed the timeline and began adding the things she'd remembered last night where it felt most appropriate. She'd barely finished when there was a knock on the door.

She frowned because she had no clients this morning.

'Please come in,' she called, putting her things away and standing to step beside the desk so she could greet her client properly.

The door opened and she blinked at the person stepping inside, heart jumping to . 'D-d.O?' she stuttered, surprised.

He met her eyes, smiling softly, 'Hello Kyra.'

His voice went straight down her spine, making her flush. The way he said her name, so softly as if relishing it on his tongue, made her heart thud.

'H-hi,' she blinked rapidly, unable to believe her eyes. 'H-how… what…?'

'I wanted to talk to you,' he answered her unformed question, 'Is now a good time?'

'Uh… yeah, sure. Um…' she swallowed, flustered, the bite throbbing in reminder of the last time he'd been here, the last time they'd talked. 'Take a seat please.'

'Thank you.' He seemed perfectly fine as he perched himself in a seat and even though his eyes were tinted red, he seemed perfectly in control.

She dithered for a moment before taking a seat across from him. To hell with right-angled arrangement, she wasn't sure she'd be able to take his proximity. Already her body was urging her to get closer and bury herself in his arms, the thought of his hands clasping her so vivid, it left her breathless. His touch wouldn't hurt, it would soothe, she just knew it…

'…I'm sorry.'

She shook her head, mortified to realize he'd been talking and she hadn't heard a word, too lost in her fantasy.

'I'm sorry, I didn't catch that.'

He smiled, clasping his hands together and Kyra realized with a start that he was nervous.

'I said I came here to apologize for the last time.' He met her eyes, his own red, 'I'm sorry.'

She had no idea what to say. 'Uh-'

'It was remiss of me; I frankly shouldn’t have approached you because I knew I didn't have sufficient control over myself.'

Kyra's wayward mind went I don't mind and she repressed it quickly. Thinking about him losing control, when he was right in front of her, was downright stupid. She'd probably end up doing something even more foolish than what she'd done last time.

Was it just her or did his lap suddenly look more inviting?

'Kyra…' she looked up, blushing. Crap, she'd been staring. 'Yes?'

'Can we start over?'

'Sur- wait, what?' She started – had she heard it right?

He looked away, staring at the wall and she watched in fascination at the red climbing over his neck, turning his ears pink.

'I, uhm, realize I might've pushed you into something you weren't ready for…' he twisted his fingers, 'You lost your memories and it must've been very difficult for you… and my behavior obviously didn't make things easier. I wanted to be understanding but I went about it the wrong way…'

'No…' she began but he held up a hand, silently asking her to let him continue. She quietened.

'I'm afraid I cannot undo what happened – we got off to a bad start and things only got worse,' he looked at her, 'but I want to make it up to you. I know it's asking a lot but… will you give me another chance?'

She stared at him, completely taken. She'd known he had a sweet side – everyone had told her about it, even her own memories – but this was the first time he was actually showing it to her. She nodded, 'Of course.'

He smiled then, the heart shaped smile of his and it made her stomach flip. 'Thanks.'

'Um… while we're at it,' she began, her lips nervously. His eyes tracked the movement and his eyes shone momentarily redder but he didn't move, 'I, uh, I'm sorry too. My behavior wasn't exactly sensible either and I reacted badly.'

He looked like he might disagree but then, nodded with a smile, 'Okay.'

'Okay.' She nodded and silence fell over them. She glanced at him from beneath her lashes, to find him looking at her. Their eyes met and they both looked away, before glancing back and locking eyes again.

His eyes were beautiful, she thought, the red tint nothing short of mesmerizing. She supposed it should've been scary but his was actually the thing that attracted her most. He was such a contrast of light and dark, of steely resolve and untamed wildness that it made her want to explore him, to get close to him and see for herself everything he was hiding behind his exterior.

'So…' he spoke after a while of mutual staring, his gaze significantly more heated than before, 'Will you let me take you out?'

She couldn't stop the delighted grin from spreading on her face, 'Of course.'

…………………………….