Chapter 51

You are My Destiny

Her eyes opened to darkness, alert.

Her dreams had been disturbing, messy and gory, leaving her with a racing heart. She lay in the unfamiliar bed, staring at the darkened ceiling unthinkingly. Her mind felt numb, thoughts processing slowly even though her eyes were wide awake.

Something felt wrong, other than the fact that she was obviously in an unfamiliar place.

She tried to remember but her mind wasn’t cooperating. Instead, she slowly sat up, her body aching as if she’d run miles. She hadn’t, she’d only gone to the carnival with Leo…

Leo’s face pale, red droplets dotting his chin, eyes wide…

The image felt far too real and she shook her head to dislodge it. No, it was just another nightmare, probably Star’s doing.

Star…

Something bugged her and after thinking about it, she realized it was because she wasn’t as present as she usually was. Rose could tell Star was still there, inside her, but it was like an afterthought, something lurking in the background instead of the forefront as it usually was.

She wondered why that was but dismissed it in favor of getting up. felt parched and her stomach growled hungrily. She supposed finding out where she was could wait until she’d had something in her.

Her bare feet touched cold tile and she shivered, feeling around the wall for light. She blinked in the sudden brightness, squinting before her eyes adjusted and she saw her surroundings.

It looked like a hospital ward.

The realization brought with it a jolt of fear. What had happened? She didn’t feel hurt anywhere, so did that mean something had happened to Leo?

Blood, so much blood, dripping from the wall, pooling at her knees…

She stumbled, landing on the bed with a thud. What if that wasn’t a nightmare but something that had actually happened?

As if her thought had broken a dam, images and memories started flooding her head.

Hongbin showing up, Leo’s protests, her getting grilled and getting progressively angrier at Star… yelling at Star and then… Leo… pinned to the wall before falling to his knees, falling against her. Blood, his blood, warm and gushing, dousing all of her as she desperately tried to stem the flow before blocking it with Star’s help…

Her stomach heaved, making her retch. She gasped, fear clouding her brain.

She’d attacked Leo. She’d attacked her brother, had nearly killed him if not for Xiumin showing up.

She buried her face between her knees, pulling at her hair, a sob escaping her lips. ‘Leo…’ she moaned, tears filling her eyes. ‘Leo…’

She was a monster, an abomination. Oh god, what had she done? The grip in her hair tightened until hair tore out of the scalp but she paid no heed to it, her mind far too occupied with the memories of her horrific actions.

She’d pushed Star away but what use was that? She’d gained control over herself far too late and her brother… was he even alive?

No, he is okay, she thought frantically, he has to be.

Abruptly, she stood up. Swayed as the blood rushed away, leaving her dizzy and dashed towards the door, yanking on it. It didn’t budge, the doorknob rattling uselessly. She banged on it loudly. ‘Let me out, let me out!’ she called, voice rising until she was screaming. ‘I have to see Leo, please let me out!’

She had no idea where she was and frankly, she didn’t care. All she cared about in that moment was seeing Leo, see with her own two eyes that he was okay, that he was still breathing.

His still, pale face flashed through her head and she crumbled against the door, sobbing. ‘Please…’ she mumbled, all life going out of her. She’d never felt so helpless in her life. Gosh, she wished Lily was here. ‘Lily…’ she sobbed, ‘Leo…’

The sound of the lock clicking didn’t register, probably because she was so lost in her own thoughts. But the door opening made her fall back and she hurriedly sat up, pushing her wayward curls out of her face, trying to stand.

‘Easy there…’ The gentle voice was unexpected, as was the equally gentle touch, the person’s fingers wonderfully warm around her cold, cold ones. ‘Relax.’

She looked into warm brown eyes that told her everything would okay and broke down completely.

…………………………………………

Suho helped the girl back to bed, patting her back gently and letting her grip his hand tight.

‘It’s’ okay, you’re safe here,’ he told her, offering her a handkerchief. She inhaled sharply at that, coughing a little before looking up at him, eyes wide and fearful. ‘Leo…?’

‘He’s fine!’ he reassured her, ‘Lay and Xiumin were able to buy him enough time that we could operate on him and he’s out of danger. He’s sleeping now.’

Rose sagged, relief evident on her face. ‘Oh, thank goodness…’ Tears dripped out of her eyes and she squeezed them shut, putting her hands to her face. Suho looked away respectfully, letting her have a private moment.

He glanced at the doorway, at the Legends waiting patiently outside. Lay and Chen had already been there when he’d arrived with the keys, D.O having informed him about Rose.

He nodded his head reassuringly at them, seeing the tension in their shoulders, a slight frown marring his forehead. He wondered if they had another Luhan/Kai sort of drama at hand but the thought was dismissed when the girl spoke up.

‘Can I see him?’ she asked, voice trembling.

Suho looked at her closely, noting the dark circles under her eyes, the drawn skin, the terror etched in the lines of her face. ‘Of course.’ He smiled warmly, bed-side manner impeccable as ever. ‘We can’t stay too long though, I’m afraid.’

She nodded rapidly. ‘Of course, I just want to see.’

‘Come on then…’

She followed him quietly, not sparing anyone else a glance. Suho noted Lay and Chen talking amongst themselves but ignored them in favor of leading Rose. He quietly opened the door to the intensive care unit currently occupied by a single resident, pipes overflowing, the steady beep of the heart monitor echoing quietly in the background.

Rose rushed inside, collapsing by her brother’s side, holding his hand gently as she stared at him, muttering apologies. He looked away, not wanting to intrude.

She may have been possessed by Evil’s minions but in this moment, all Suho saw was a scared girl, afraid for her brother’s life.

‘We need to talk to her.’ D.O’s voice spoke in his ear, in the comm device he’d put in before coming to check on her. ‘Find out what happened.’

‘Hmm. Perhaps later,’ he muttered. ‘She must have her own questions.’

‘How do we know that’s not the abby talking?’ he countered quietly. ‘I’m not trying to be heartless but we have to be extra vigilant, now that she’s here.’

‘Stop it.’ That came from Chen who’d joined him at the door. ‘I think this can wait a couple more hours.’ Suho agreed. ‘I’m going to give her a tranq shot because I don’t think she’ll sleep otherwise and I think we could all use some rest for now.’

D.O didn’t sound too happy with that but only grumbled a little before signing off. ‘Tell Chen to take the shift when he comes back,’ he said before the device fell silent. Suho relayed the message and the Legend flashed him a thumbs-up.

‘I’ll leave then.’ He saluted, turning on his heel and marching off. Lay trailed after him, quietly chatting and he glanced inside at the girl.

Rose had stopped crying, so he decided it was a good enough time to bring her out. ‘Rose,’ he called softly so she wouldn’t be startled. ‘Let’s go.’

She stood up reluctantly but joined him at the door. ‘Thank you,’ she told him, voice quivering. ‘For saving him.’

He shook his head. ‘It’s nothing.’

When they reached her room, she hesitated. Suho preempted her query. ‘I know you have questions but I think it would be best to do this when we’ve both had some sleep. We have some questions for you as well but nothing that can’t wait. The most important thing is that Leo is safe and alive and he’ll hopefully wake up soon. So, rest up and we’ll address our queries later, okay?’

She let out a sigh. ‘Okay.’

‘If you want, I can give you something to help you sleep.’ he offered. She bit her lip before nodding. ‘I’d like that.’

He nodded toward her bed and helped her inside, handing her a sedative tablet. She swallowed it almost eagerly, drinking the water he handed her.

‘Goodnight, Rose.’

‘Night.’

……………………………………………….

Chen hadn’t been able to fall asleep because he couldn’t sense Star clearly and it was bothering him and his beast, being unable to track their mate. He kept his eyes closed but his mind was alert, trying without success to find his link back to Star.

She was there, alive if that even applied to her… on the same plane of existence as him, but hidden. It was like a wall had been erected between them and he couldn’t get to other side. She was concealed and it was only the vague sense of her existence that gave him some manner of relief.

Still, he was on alert for the smallest signs of her coming to Rose’s forefront and he sensed her stirring before there was the faintest echo in his head.

Chen…

She sounded so far away.

Star, he responded instantly. Can you hear me?

There was a delay –  even longer than when Star wasn’t the one controlling Rose’s body. And when he heard her again, it was faint. A little.

What happened? Attacking Leo wasn’t part of their plan. He’d been relaxed, going about his part, thinking Star was safe and Rose would be cleared of suspicion. He needed to know what had happened so he could plan and act accordingly.

There was a silence but he could pick on Star’s emotions more clearly than he could hear her words. Maybe because emotions were easier to communicate.

Star was feeling guilty, extremely so. And sad. 

Star?

… sorry… The rest of her words were garbled and faint but it sounded like Star was crying. He only picked on didn’t mean to and not a monster.

Was it an accident? he sent cautiously. Rose was sleeping which let Star communicate this much with him but if Star got too emotional, it would probably wake Rose up. He did his best to calm her down from the distance. Come on Star, you have to tell me what happened so I can help…

Yes. She was still sobbing but at least her words were clear. I’m not a monster.

I know that, he soothed. You’re naughty and smart and brave.

Using Xiumin’s praises to calm his baby sister. When he’d escaped the Abyss, this was the last thing he’d expected to be doing.

At least it worked. Star fell silent but he could feel her emotions settling down. It was a long time before she spoke again.

Lose said I’m bad… that I… I… hurt Choomin…

Can you show me?

Star fell silent, before slowly relaying the images to him.

Because Star had no body of her own, most of the time, they could only communicate emotions and words if Rose was asleep or if Star had taken over Rose’s body. She could, however, show whatever she saw through Rose’s eyes. With the wall Rose had built to block Star, however, the images were blurred and messy, a lot of static and white noise.

He got the gist, however, feeling both sympathetic and upset. He’d been indisposed at that moment or he could’ve brought Star under control, made sure she didn’t attack as her instinct demanded. He let out a sigh as the images faded.

Star… he began.

I’m sorry. Star sounded chided. Star knows she shouldn’t attack.

He smiled despite himself. Star was still learning to communicate with words instead of just linking up with him. It made talking to her quite a chore at times but she’d improved heaps since waking up on earth. It was still like talking to a child but she was much more coherent than she’d been before.

She’d also learned to greatly curb her urges. Urges she’d acquired inadvertently after tainting herself in the darkness of the Abyss. Most of the times, she was alright but with her emotions heightened, she forgot she wasn’t in the Abyss anymore and that killing everyone who bothered her wasn’t an option.

Usually, he made sure to calm her down before things came to that point but he’d been unable to do anything. It was his fault – he’d forgotten to factor the human element in his plans. Forgotten that in the game he and Star were playing with Evil, an innocent was getting dragged in with them. Angel had said it – Rose had no idea what about Evil or Legends or any of their twisted history; she was just a regular girl who had the misfortune of being possessed by Star.

The girl was bound to break, sooner rather than later.

He sighed. At least no one died this time.

Star didn’t mean to kill the Old Man – he attacked Lose first… Star defended herself, making Chen smile.

Hey, that wasn’t your fault, he reassured her. Besides, he deserved it.

Anyone trying to a -out girl deserved to die a slow death via Abyss infection in Chen’s book and he was actually proud of Star for infecting that bastard. Not that he could boast about it to anyone because that would blow their cover. But he let his emotions flow out to Star, who puffed up in pride.

Star is good, she declared and he could hear her smile. Star is awesome.

Chen nodded, opening his eyes to stare at the security camera feed. Behind him, he could hear D.O turning over in his bed and let out a small sigh of relief. Knowing she was okay relaxed him significantly.

Be that way, he told her, be good.

Promise.

Chen smiled and broke off his connection with Star, focusing on the TV monitors in front of him and pulling out a packet of crisps.

…………………………………………………