Chapter 73

You are My Destiny

Rose had to admit Tiffany had a good eye for style. Among themselves, the girls had almost every size available and what didn’t fit, Tiffany made it into a fashion statement. After spending a lot of time making her try what felt like every piece of clothing in the house, Tiffany deemed her satisfactorily dressed for her first day at university.

Truth be told, Rose felt a tad overdressed but Tiffany assured her she looked great. ‘Now, just let me do your hair and we’ll be ready!’ she chirped happily, holding up a brush.

Rose eyed it apprehensively, knowing from experience that her curls took a lot to tame. ‘That’s okay, I’ll just tie them up…’ she muttered, trying to back away discreetly.

‘Nonsense!’ Tiffany waved a hand dismissively. ‘You have such beautiful curls, it’ll be a shame to confine them!’

‘Uh…’

‘You know, I think she has a point,’ Raina spoke up. All the girls were gathered inside Tiffany’s room where she was dressing her up. ‘You have rather fantastic curls… its natural, right?’ She looked at Lily, who was flipping through some magazine.

‘Hm? Oh yes, she’s always had them,’ She looked up to smile fondly at Rose. ‘She was such a mess when she was younger, you should’ve seen her.’

Rose blushed. ‘It wasn’t that bad.’

Lily laughed. ‘Mom got so tired of trying to tame it, she shaved her head; poor Rosie had a bald head for a year before I begged mom to let her grow it back. I had to promise I’d make sure she kept it neat all the time.’

Rose stuck her tongue out at Lily while the others laughed. ‘She always put my hair in an apple style, I looked so stupid.’

‘You looked cute,’ Lily countered.

‘Well, your hair is rather long for the apple style now, but we can definitely pull it up in a half pony tail like this…’ Tiffany expertly pulled her hair up in a knot, pulling it back so it didn’t fall in her eyes. ‘And keep the rest loose, like so.’ She put in a clip to hold it temporarily.  ‘What do you think?’

She looked at herself in the mirror. She looked… well, she looked quite pretty, if she did say so herself. It had been a while since she’d made any effort with her appearance, primarily because she’d been too occupied with being comatose and then, possessed. It was a nice ego boost.

Pretty, Star commented vaguely. Lose is pretty.

Thank you, Rose replied.

‘I think this looks great,’ Rose told Tiffany.

‘Agreed. Okay, sit down, I need to untangle your hair first…’

‘Here, let me help.’ Lily volunteered, coming to stand behind her. ‘It’ll take you years if you do it alone.’

Rose pouted, smiling when Lily pinched her cheek. She closed her eyes as Lily started brushing her hair gently; her sister knew exactly how to manage it so she wouldn’t experience too much pain while she loosened the knots.

Then Tiffany took over, pulling her hair this way and that; before long, they were done. ‘Okay, done! You look so pretty!’

Rose smiled shyly as the girls complimented her.

‘You look like Lily… if she had a sudden fit and started dressing like a teenager.’

Rose giggled as Lily threw a cushion at Raina. ‘She didn’t dress like that even when she was a teenager,’ she commented, hunching when Lily smacked her head. ‘What? It’s true!’

‘Alright, alright!’ Tiffany stepped in. ‘I think the point is that I have an amazing sense of style and you’re all welcome.’

Raina pulled the shorter girl into a headlock, making her shriek as the rest laughed and stepped out of the way to avoid flailing limbs. Lily stepped close, tucking a strand behind her ear and patting her head. ‘Look at you, all grown up.’

‘Lily, you aren’t that much older than her,’ Mei commented. ‘Why do you act like her mom?’

Lily covered Rose’s ears dramatically. ‘Hush, don’t listen to them. You’re my baby!’

Rose smiled, feeling a lot of emotions bubbling inside her. Lily was really not that old – maybe four years older. But she’d always been kind of a parent figure to Rose. She hugged her sister. ‘Yes mom,’ she muttered, giggling when Mei made puking noises.

‘Guys, are you done? We’re getting late.’ Sehun knocked on the door, peeking in before stepping back out. ‘Hurry up, what’s taking so long!’

‘Yikes, he’s right, we’re so late!’

‘What will you do?’ Rose asked Lily.

‘Probably stay at home.’

‘Go to work,’ Tiffany poked Lily between the shoulder blades. ‘Ken can use some break from Xiumin’s glares.’

Lily flushed a little at the mention of Xiumin but nodded. ‘I’ll see.’

‘Me and Raina are joining again,’ Tiffany told her. ‘Come on, it’ll be like the old times!’  

Lily nodded. ‘I’ll think about it.’ She turned to Rose. ‘Just stick close to the group and if something feels wrong or if you’re not well, let them know. Okay? And don’t worry, you’ll be safe with them.’

Rose nodded, a little nervous, a little excited. ‘Okay, will do.’

‘Great. Have fun, see you guys later.’

Leo hugged her tightly when she stepped out. ‘I’ll probably be gone by the time you guys come back, so…’

‘You’re leaving?’ she asked, aghast. Leo smiled. ‘I have to, Rosie. Can’t leave Minah and mom alone for so long.’

Rose pouted. ‘Yes but…’

‘And you have my number. Call if you miss me.’

Rose sniffed a little. ‘Okay.’

‘Hey, hey… don’t cry now!’ Leo hugged her again. Rose hugged him back.

‘Why now?’ she muttered into his chest. Leo chuckled, albeit sadly.  

‘I was waiting for you to get settled, sweetheart. Now, Lily’s here and you are in safe hands; so I had better return and make sure the rest are okay.’

She was quiet for a long moment. Star was stirring inside her, surprisingly, upset. ‘I’ll miss you.’

While she was hugging, she felt Star take over momentarily, just long enough to mutter ‘sorry Lelo’ to her brother, who looked down in surprise, eyes widening as Rose returned, the black marks fading from her skin.

‘Was that…?’ he asked, looking rather shocked.

‘Star, yes. She’s… well,’ Rose sighed, looking inside to figure out what Star wanted to say. ‘She wants you to know that she never meant to attack you and that it was truly an accident and she is very sorry for it.’

‘Oh… I, uh…’ Leo looked lost for a few moments before speaking. ‘Well, I suppose I’m okay now, so no harm done, right?’ Star, who was very attentive now, fidgeted and Rose got the distinct impression that she was embarrassed and shy. ‘And uh…be careful next time…?’

He looked at her questioningly. Rose nudged at Star, encouraging her to take over so she could respond to Leo herself.

Star didn’t say anything, ducking her head and giving Leo a quick hug before vanishing just as quickly. Leo blinked. ‘I still can’t get used to her appearance.’ He shook his head.  ‘Well, you’d better get going. See you when I see you.’

Rose kissed his cheek. ‘Tell mom I love her and that I’ll be okay, she doesn’t have to worry. And say hi to Minah and give baby my love when you see them. And take them somewhere safe.’

Leo smiled. ‘Will do. Now get out of here!’ Patting her head, he pushed her towards the group who were waiting for her. ‘Bye.’

‘Bye!’ Rose waved and went out.

……………………………………

‘You’re really going?’ Lily asked after Rose had left with the rest.

‘I have to.’ Leo sighed, not looking too happy about the fact. ‘You’re here now. And whether I like it or not, she is safest with these Legends here. The longer I stay here, I can’t help but worry that Evil will try and make her do something again by threatening me.’

Lily nodded. This had been the exact reason she had left, made sure to separate completely from her family. ‘I get it. This is for the best.’

‘Hmph.’ Leo was quiet for a while. ‘I’ll shift from our old place, go somewhere else.’

Lily nodded. ‘That will be for the best.’ She looked at him. ‘Don’t tell mom or Minah about this, yeah?’

‘Of course not.’ He shook his head. ‘It sounds so fantastic, now that I think about it. Even if I were to say something, who’d believe me?’

‘Yeah, it does sound strange. Still…’

‘I know, I’m not an idiot.’

Lily scrunched her eyes, making a doubtful face, making him laugh. ‘Ya!’

She laughed too, before sighing. ‘Well, you’d better get ready.’

‘I sent my stuff ahead.’ Lily looked at him questioningly. ‘I called Hongbin… the poor guy thought I’d died – don’t blame him, not with the mess we left back there. But he was glad to know I was alive and… I don’t know if it’s something these Legends did… but they apparently found some evidence the cleared Rose, so she’s not a suspect anymore.’

Lily sighed in relief. ‘It totally could be them but I’m glad.’

‘Yes, me too. So anyway, I asked him if he could get my stuff and have it sent back home, so he did that. Rose’s things will be delivered here soon too.’

‘Okay.’ They were silent for several moments as both siblings contemplated what to say next.

‘Lily…’

‘Yeah?’

‘Xiumin’s a good guy.’

Lily snapped her head up to stare at her brother. ‘What…?’

‘He’s an idiot when it comes to feelings… like most men are, if I’m honest. But he clearly loves you and he cares about Rosie and he’s always been good to you, even when you weren’t dating him.’

‘I know…’ Lily whispered.

‘If you want, I can beat him up,’ Leo offered sincerely. ‘Make it even.’

Lily laughed at the unexpected offer. ‘Thanks but I’ll pass.’

‘Well, the offer always stands.’ Leo smiled. ‘But I mean it, he is a good guy and he clearly makes you happy. So…’ He twisted his mouth like saying it was making his mouth sour, ‘you have my blessings and all that.’

‘Leo!’ Lily exclaimed, laughing at his face.

‘Just get hitched,’ Leo told her gruffly. ‘I’ll rest easy and mom will be happy too.’

Lily smiled. ‘Don’t worry about me, Leo.’

‘I just don’t want to imagine you two getting cozy whenever it snows, is all. At least if you’re married…’

Lily pushed Leo, blushing furiously. How the hell did he figure that out? ‘That is none of your concern! Who even told you about that?!’

Leo grinned at her flushed face. ‘I guess I’m a conservative at heart,’

‘Shut up! Go away, go!’ Lily pushed him again, still blushing.

‘You have my blessings, sweetie!’ He was still laughing at her when Xiumin showed up. Lily blushed harder and got out of the room, leaving her brother alone with him.

‘So,’ Leo loomed over Xiumin, glaring down at him. ‘When are you proposing?’

‘Huh?’ Xiumin blinked, surprised by the sudden question. ‘Well, she said she needed some time, so I’m waiting for her.’

‘Hm. You’d better propose to her the moment she gives the green light or so help me, I’ll…’ He cracked his knuckles threateningly.

‘Okay, enough!’ Lily reappeared, pushing Leo towards the door. ‘Come on, you need to leave.’

‘But I’m talking…’ Leo protested but Lily overrode him. ‘No, you’re leaving!’

‘Aw Lily, don’t you love me? Why are you so eager to make me leave?’ he whined, half-laughing, half mock-crying. ‘And I was just having a chat with my future brother-‘

‘Shut up!’ Lily smacked his shoulder. She turned to Xiumin. ‘Never mind him, I’ll get ready so we can leave for work. Just give me a few minutes. And you,’ She glared at Leo, who smiled innocently. ‘You are coming with me.’

‘Love you too sister!’ Leo teased, letting himself be dragged.

Xiumin shook his head as the siblings vanished. What was that all about?

………………………………

A/N

*Peeks out from behind the door* H-hi? Hello... yeah, it's been a while ehehe... soo... 

Lay cameback and smacked me in the face with his godly topknot and traditional costumes and krumping and what not? LIKE WHAT THE HELL???

And Baekhyun with his goddam candies and catchy dance moves and all that, like WTF? 

Not that I'm not happy but there's only so much a heart can take before we crash, right? 

And then we had JONGDAE showing up to support his third win and like what? Is this life? Is anything real? We were worrying that we'd be starved when Minseok, Kyungsoo and Junmyeon left but we've been fed left and right, havin' a feast. I'm SO grateful for all of them and I hope that every EXO L will continue supporting our boys, be it their group work or solo projects. So, look forward to SC comeback and Jongin's solo debut and the second part of Yixing's album. And any other projects that might come up. 

Okay, hope you enjoy this chapter. I'll try and update soon :)