Chapter 62

You are My Destiny

Angel felt quite lazy these days. A lot of it had to with Suho and his admirable stamina because it left her pleasurably exhausted, tender and sore all over. Also, she’d gotten used to being kissed awake and she didn’t want to get out of bed until Suho had properly cuddled her. Most days, he indulged her thoroughly, often going far beyond just cuddling.

But then, there were days like this, when there were things to be done. Suho didn’t disturb her when he left the bed soon after dawn but she’d gotten so used to his presence next to her that she woke up, feeling bereft.

Staring at the ceiling, she pouted. Was wanting to snuggle with your husband all day too much? She’d always been a dreamer, but these days, she never seemed to touch the ground. If she was being honest, she wanted to leave all this Evil and Abyss mess behind, go into hiding and just live peacefully with Suho.

But as the leader of his pack, he had responsibilities and she had to set an example for the rest of the mates. Well, she thought she’d set an admirable example of being a loving wife. Which was easy because she loved him so much and would do anything for him.

But that didn’t preclude laziness or her need for morning kisses more than coffee to wake up. Still, Suho was busy for the next couple of hours, meeting with D.O and Kris to discuss something or the other and she could stare at her ceiling for only so long before she got bored.

Yawning, stretching, she shuffled out of bed, taking the duvet with her. Washing her face and freshening up sounded too much like a chore. Instead, she dawdled out into the living room and fell on the couch, curling up. Which was how Suho found her when he emerged from the security room.

She perked up at the sound of his voice, looking up at him when he neared her. Suho smiled at the sight of his cute little mate snuggled up like a burrito and momentarily forgetting that he’d been talking about really important stuff.

‘We’ll discuss this later,’ he threw over his shoulder before he was completely distracted, going over to his wife and dropping down beside her. Angel took no time at all to snuggle next to him, leaning into his side and wrapping her arms around his waist. Her nose buried into his chest and she sighed contentedly.

‘Morning,’ Suho whispered, dropping a soft kiss on her hair. She mumbled in response, making him smile. ‘What was that?’ he asked, lowering his voice.

Her forehead turned pink but she replied clearly enough. ‘Kiss me.’

Who was he to resist? He leaned down obligingly and pecked her lips once, twice, three times, arms securely wrapping around her waist so he could pull her up until she was straddled in his lap. ‘Better?’ he asked, rubbing their noses together.

In response, she leaned in and kissed him instead. Suho smiled into it, beginning to feel a little drugged. He chased her lips when she backed off, nipping at . ‘You,’ he told her between pecks, ‘are addictive.’

She gave him a very naughty smile in response and he felt the beast rise inside him. His fingers tightened around her waist and he bared his teeth warningly. ‘Careful.’

She wrapped her arms around his neck, tilting her head coyly to show off his mark. Scent rose off her in dense clouds, a potent mix of his musk blended with her feminine perfume, and Suho could feel the beast rising protectively inside him.

He leaned in again, going for her lips but stilled. Her scent was always potent but today, it felt even more so. And there was something slightly different about it. Not like she was sick – thankfully, not that – but different…

‘Suho?’ she asked but he ignored her, sniffing her neck instead. She giggled as his breath hit her skin. ‘What…?’

He put a hand to her forehead. It felt warmer than usual.  

‘How’re you feeling?’ he asked, sitting up straight and pulling her face close.

Angel blinked slowly. ‘Fine,’ she replied through her squished lips. Suho nodded, looking in her eyes and pulling gently on the lids. ‘What’re you doing?’

‘You… do you feel anything different?’ he asked, gently massaging her neck.

‘No… well, I feel lazier than usual, I guess, more tired. But I’ve been feeling like that since… you know…’ Her cheeks turned pink. Suho inhaled sharply. ‘Anything else?’

‘Why?’ By now, Angel had lost the soft, sleepy look about her, blinking widely. ‘What’s wrong?’

Suho shook his head. ‘Nothing’s wrong, I just…. I think… where’s Lay?’ He stood up quickly and Angel squealed, latching on to him. Suho disregarded her screams, taking off at an alarming speed, yelling for the healer.

Lay, to his credit, looked like he’d been expecting this, a secretive smile on his face as he opened the door and stood aside so Suho could stride in, carrying Angel bridal style. He gently set her down on the examination table.

‘Suho?’ Angel asked in a small voice, unsure. She looked at Lay apprehensively, feeling marginally relieved to see his reassuring smile.

‘I think I know what it is,’ Suho said abruptly, ‘but I need you to confirm it.’

Angel tried to speak again but one look at Suho’s face made her quiet. He looked… shaken up, fingers tightening around Angel’s shoulders, as if to reassure himself that she was there. She put her hand around his fingers, intertwining them and Suho let out a slow breath, shoulders relaxing marginally. 

Lay didn’t say anything, just stepped closer and Angel watched in fascination as his fingers started glowing, a soft golden light that got brighter by the second. He stretched his hand out, hovering it over her body, around her abdomen. She could feel the soft heat from his light, and it felt nice. The aches that had been plaguing her these days seem to ease up a little and she sighed, relaxing.

It was over too soon, the light dimming until cold air replaced it. Lay met her eyes, breaking out into a fully dimpled smile. Behind her, Suho let out a strangled noise between a laugh and a sob, then pulled her into a bone-crushing back hug.

‘What…?’ she asked, a little lost. Lay was still beaming, dimples on full display, and Suho was murmuring nonsense into her hair, rocking her from side to side. From their link, all she got was extreme joy, pride, and a little bit of fear.

Lay finally took pity on her and pushed Suho away. ‘Let me complete the check up,’ he reprimanded mildly, looking far from offended. Suho nodded, face red and his eyes glittering suspiciously.

‘Are you crying?’ Angel asked, surprised.

He shook his head, turning away abruptly, and covering his mouth. Angel tried to read him but his thoughts, for once, were completely unintelligible. Usually, she could discern between the beast Legend and the human Legend but this time, both parts of him were equally incoherent. She turned to Lay instead.

‘What’s going on?’ she asked, stretching her hand out when Lay gestured for her. He smiled, grabbing her fingers and she felt another influx of the soothing warmth into her body, feeling herself relax.

Lay glanced at her, then at Suho. ‘I’ll let him do the honors, because he’s not going to be able hold back much longer. Let me make sure everything’s fine.’

Angel opened to say something when it hit her. Her eyes widened and she stared at Lay with wonder; he read the question on her face and nodded, mouthing ‘congratulations’. Angel covered with her hands, a soft happy sob-laugh leaving her too. When Suho’s hand landed on her shoulder again, she grabbed it with all her might, their fingers entwining again.

Lay, after his checkup, left the couple alone. Angel stared at Suho in wonder, one hand resting on her tummy and the other still holding onto him. ‘I’m not dreaming, am I?’ she finally asked.

Suho shook his head, smiling and leaning down to kiss her. ‘No, no, it’s not a dream.’ His eyes glossed over. ‘We’re going to have a baby!’

……………………………………

It was incredible. He was still in a state of shock, unable to believe that his Angel was carrying his child inside her. He couldn’t stop his hands from touching her still-flat stomach, wonder and awe filling him. She had a life growing inside her, the product of their love, the hope for which their Elders had sacrificed their entire planet.

It wasn’t until his vision blurred that he realized he was crying.

Angel, when she looked at him, smiled but her own eyes filled with tears too, joy rolling off her in waves through their link. ‘I’m so happy…’ she whispered, looking down at his hands still cradling her stomach. Her hands dropped over his and she tightened them around his fingers. ‘I… I love you so, so much Suho…’

He pulled her into a back hug, dropping a kiss on her head. Then another one on her temple, then her cheek, her neck. He couldn’t stop himself, arms tightening around her until she was completely meshed against him. She came easily, adjusting herself into his embrace until they were swaying on the spot, lost in their world.

It wasn’t until later that he realized it was pouring outside, not stormy but a pleasant shower, much like his emotions.

‘I want to tell mom…’ Angel muttered after a while. Suho hummed, pressing another kiss into her neck. ‘Let’s wait a while… I want to relish this.’

Angel turned her head, so he was forced to leave her neck and look at her face. He leaned in to peck her cheeks instead. She scrunched her nose cutely in response and he smiled.

‘We can’t hide this forever, though…’

‘I know…’ he sighed, feeling unreasonable annoyance at the thought. He was so proud that he wanted to scream it the world. But he also wanted to hide Angel, so no one but him could even look at her.

‘Your brothers also deserve to know…’ Angel whispered.

Suho sighed, knowing she was right. They had been fighting Evil for so long, had lost so much to the Red Forces, lost their entire race, their entire planet. And truth be told, until Angel came into his life, he hadn’t even thought about finding his mate or having a family other than his brothers. It was one thing to know what the prophecy had foretold and what their Elders had taught them. But after nothing but war for centuries, it was difficult to be optimistic or hopeful.

And while Kris finding Karen had made them all joyous, he’d lost her so tragically soon that it had suppressed whatever desire that had born. He’d never thought they’d ever get this far to have to think about something other than his brothers or Evil. To have something as precious as his own mate and his own child, his own family.

And he knew that the others felt this way too. Luhan, Sehun, Tao, Chanyeol, D.O and Xiumin had all found their mates and most of them had claimed them as well. With the possible exception of Kai and Kris, the others would also find their own mates too. In times like this, perhaps they all needed to hear something like this. 

‘Let’s… wait for a while. You can tell your mom tonight if you want but…’ He chewed his lips, thinking. ‘Evil… with Rose around…’

Angel sighed. ‘Poor Rose, she’s not a bad girl.’

‘No,’ Suho agreed, ‘but she’s possessed and Evil will definitely use her to get to you.’

‘We’re already mated, though,’ Angel muttered. ‘What would he get by targeting me?’

‘Revenge,’ Suho answered easily, arms tightening protectively around her. ‘And just to hurt you. Evil doesn’t need reason to do that… except to inflict pain, to make us suffer.’

Angel shuddered, cuddling closer to him. She was reminded of the time Evil had pretended to be Suho and targeted her. It was the closest she’d come to Evil and if that was the last time she ever saw him, she was happy. ‘I don’t want him coming close to our baby,’ she said softly.

‘Let’s just keep it to ourselves for now.’

‘I can tell mom, though?’ She looked at him hopefully. He smiled, pecking her nose. ‘Yes but let’s go out first.’

‘Why?’

‘I want to celebrate,’ he replied, pulling her along.

……………………………………

Nara felt a little disoriented when she opened her eyes. The ceiling above her was unfamiliar, and the room surrounding her was unfamiliar, just like the bed and the covers she was holding up to her chin.

Usually, finding herself in unfamiliar surroundings would unnerve her or trigger some form of panic attack. Her therapists had repeatedly emphasized that she needed structure and familiarity to adjust and transition easily into the more independent, adult life. She’d managed well so far, largely thanks to Tae and Ken, who ensured she started and ended her days the same. It helped her stay grounded and allowed her the luxury to conduct social experiments, and expand her comfort zone.

That was how it usually worked. This time, however, all she felt was drugged, lids heavy and unwilling to open. There was something heavy lying around her waist, warm and very comforting and her entire back felt like it was basking directly under the sun, despite it being dark inside the room.

‘Mmmhmm…’

The sound vibrated from the source of warmth and travelled into her body, making it tingle in the most pleasurable manner. She shivered, biting her lip.  Chanyeol’s arm, the heavy object lying on her waist, curved, pulling her closer into his body until she was completely covered, the quilts redundant at this point.

They’d stayed up quite late at night because Nara had become very interested in exploring how the different colors of his flames felt on her skin, at first just touching it with her fingers but later, insisting that he make the flames large enough that they would engulf her body.

He'd responded by rolling them both so she was on top of him and then set about lighting himself up. At first, it was just colorless heat that felt great on her skin. So good, in fact that she pushed his shirt away to place her palms firmly on his chest. Slowly but surely, flames rose from his skin and engulfed her hands, climbing over her arms and spreading all over her body. It felt great, a soft tingling sensation quite unlike anything she’d felt before. It was warm but very pleasant and made her body feel quite lethargic.

‘I think you’re dehydrating,’ Chanyeol commented, the flames fading from his skin, pretty hues ranging from red to blue, reflecting in his eyes. She made a sound of protest but felt dry and she realized that he had a point. So, she let him pick her up and tuck her into the bed, while he went to fetch her water, dropping the remains of his destroyed shirt down.

She’d almost dozed off when he’d returned, but he’d made her drink at least half a liter of lemonade and then, cuddled her into his body until her ear rested against his chest. He’d started talking softly, hands caressing her hair and that was the last thing she remembered before falling asleep.

Now that she thought about it, she hadn’t really figured out if the red fire felt any different from the purplish blue one.

‘Morning…’ Chanyeol muttered and she felt him shift, a soft peck landing on her cheek. She ignored it, just like she ignored his declaration that it was morning. She knew, she’d seen the sunlight. Chanyeol chuckled, and she felt him nudge against her mentally. I meant it as a greeting.

Oh. She blinked at him. Good morning.

You’re cute.

Thank you, you are too.

He laughed again, rolling away. She pouted at the loss of heat but maybe it was a good thing because her mind felt a lot clearer when the heat had faded.

She looked around for her bag, finding it carefully stashed in a corner and dragged it over, turning on her laptop. Recently, she’d been quite amiss in her note-taking, forgoing it in favor of hands-on experience. As a researcher, she understood the value of both and if she wanted her research to hold any value, she needed to make her methodology as rigorous as possible, regardless of the warmth and colorful flames and fascinating alien history or physical properties.

But after staring blankly at her screen for a full five minutes, she still hadn’t written anything. There were a lot of thoughts in her head but for some reason, she couldn’t make them coherent. She rubbed her cheek absently, trying to pin down what she was thinking or feeling. There were thoughts of Chanyeol and his voice and his flames and hands and the vibrations of his breathing and how his voice still managed to affect her physically but her mind wasn’t settling long enough to let her articulate.

She still hadn’t written a word by the time Chanyeol came out. ‘Need help?’ he asked.

Nara shook her head, not sure how he could help her with this. Research needed to be first hand, to be processed and presented from the mind of the researcher, not the participant.

Maybe that was the problem, inherent to all qualitative methodologies, particularly to participant observation. She wasn’t staying objective and in doing so, she was probably missing useful pathways to study her variables. She believed in sticking to research because otherwise, no one would find any answers. But perhaps… perhaps, she would be better able to study one aspect at a time. A single participant in so many projects, it was already on shaky grounds.

And so, when Chanyeol asked her what she wanted to do, she gave him the best answer she could think of. ‘Let’s break up.’

……………………………………….

A/N

Hey everyone! I hope you enjoyed this chapter. I think it came just in the right time to celebrate Chanyeol's first solo song SSFW so let's give it all a lot of love and support our giant baby :3