Chapter 5

You are My Destiny

They were sleeping together, now that they were officially hitched. 

Luhan had pouted pathetically when she'd dithered, wondering if she could trust herself to not ravage him – he'd laughed at her but that was only because he hadn't heard some of the more lurid suggestions Aria or Tiffany threw at her in an effort to get her to lose the big V so Tiffany could ravish Sehun with a free conscience and Mei had words to say about how her own sister couldn't be trusted to have her back but that was beside the point.

The point was that she'd been spending every night since then, snuggling into the warmth of his arms, hearing his heart beat a steady rhythm against her ear, legs tangled around each other so that they couldn't tell where one ended and the other started. 

And he'd taken to calling her his 'pretty wife' in the privacy of their temporary room and it made fluffballs explode in the pit of her stomach, the desire to melt into a puddle on the floor quite near overwhelming. 

He'd also taken to bringing her flowers – something she'd sort of envied Tiffany for – handing her a bunch most nights when he returned, sweaty and muddy from football practice. Minho was driving them like mules, especially Luhan because he still hadn't forgiven him for getting married before his captain and Luhan couldn’t spend enough time with Mei, so it was a sort of apology and Mei couldn't help but fall a little bit deeper every time he did something like that. 

Then last night… 

She sighed, curling into her side as butterflies started rioting again. 

Last night had been magical, absolutely magical. She'd gotten bored and had decided to make something while she waited for Luhan to return from his practice – like a good little housewife, he'd murmured, sliding his arms around her waist and pulling her into a back hug. And they'd proceeded to mess up the entire kitchen, dabbing dips on each other's lips before kissing it clean and she'd accidentally dropped the bowl of flour all over them, so he'd dragged them into the shower fully clothed and kissed her senseless. 

Honestly, if someone hadn't knocked on the door, yelling at them to stop hogging the shower, she might've just given Tiffany her chance. 

And now, here she was, unable to function beyond sighing and curling up on herself because she really, really needed to vent all her feelings or she would implode, her body unable to keep all these emotions stored inside her. 

She'd chosen to escape on the roof because she couldn't concentrate on the boring lecture when her mind was filled with Luhan and she'd been so distracted, staring at Luhan's picture on her cellphone and heavily sighing every second that Tiffany had gotten suspicious. The way she was feeling right now, she'd probably just spill everything at the slightest provocation because Luhan was Luhan and she was ready to burst but she also needed to keep her secret or Tiffany would kill her for not making her the bridesmaid and handing her bouquet to Taemin instead.

The bright sunlight wasn't deterring her in the least, making her feel like a lazy cat as she stretched and sighed again, a soft smile tugging at her lips. Luhan was just so… perfect…

She was so lost in her thoughts, she didn't notice anything until a shadow fell over her eyes. She blinked in surprise. 

'Tao?' 

He looked even taller from her vantage point, long legs encased in ripped jeans and sporting a scowl that would be scary if she didn't know for a fact that the guy wouldn't hurt a fly – shriek his head off, yes, and dance around trying to avoid it but not hurt it because he was that sweet. 

Which was why it was surprising when, instead of smiling at her in welcome, he frowned fearsomely and kicked on the floor. 'What're you doing here?' He sounded testy and Mei blinked. Anybody else might've annoyed her with that kind of tone but Tao…

'Everything okay?'

'Just peachy.' He snorted, crossing her to stand at the edge of the roof and stare intensely in the distance. He cut a dramatic figure, silhouetted against the skyline, wind playing with his hair aesthetically, the earring he'd recently acquired glinting in the sun. 'Why wouldn't it be?'  

She sat up, stretching lazily before staring up at him seriously. 

'You sound pissed off.' She pointed out, figuring she could put Luhan on the backburner long enough to listen to his troubles, fulfill her duty as his friend, before going back to her beyond-perfect mate. 

'Pfft, pissed off? Me? As if…,' he shook his head, sounding even angrier than before. 'I mean, it's not like I care what she does, do I? She can dance with whoever she wants, why would it make a difference to me?' 

Raina. Figures. Mei suppressed a sigh because this meant she'd have to spend more than five minutes to solve his problem but really, these two needed to get past their differences and claim each other. Then she and Tao could sigh together over the perfection of their mates instead of complaining around. Ah well, until then, she supposed she could help. 

'Who's she dancing with?' 

Tao's shoulders slumped before he straightened them, frown deepening. 'Lay.' 

Oh. This was bad. 

'What happened?' she asked, gesturing for him to sit down beside her. 

Tao bit his lip, looking indecisive before taking her advice and sitting down. He pulled his knees up to his chest and wrapped his arms around them as if trying to protect himself, staring intensely at the roof floor. 'She had this stupid showcase today…' 

Mei remembered. Kai and Sehun had been chosen as well and they'd been working their butts off for it. In fact, she now remembered she was supposed to cheer on them but she'd forgotten all about it in her Luhan-daze. Crap

Well, nothing could be done now and besides, she needed to focus on Tao. 

'Far as I remember though, Lay wasn't Raina's dance partner… wasn't he, like, teaching them?'

'Her partner got injured or something.' 

'Oh… um… well, I don't think Lay has any interest in her…' 

'Geez, I know that.' Tao snapped, looking annoyed. 'He has no interest in her but the same's not true for her, is it? She couldn't get away fast enough from me the moment he showed up and…'

Mei suppressed the urge to grin because jealous Tao was just so cute. He was pouting sulkily, hair getting into his eyes and frustrated tears clinging to his lashes. If she weren't being sensitive, she would've pinched his cheeks. As it was, she patted his shoulder as he continued to rant. 

'She's wearing this tiny top,' he held up his fingers to emphasize his point, 'and he's touching her waist and that's not okay, okay?'

She nodded sympathetically, biting her lip to stop her smile.  

'Don't laugh,' He pouted, not fooled by her attempts and cast her a pathetic look. 'She won't even talk to me – I thought we were friends and friends talk to each other. But she won't and she won't hang out with me either, even though she promised we'd celebrate together when I matured!' 

He sighed, hanging his head low, hair falling into his eyes. 

'Bet she wishes I'd died so she wouldn’t have to worry about… ouch!' He stared at Mei in disbelief, holding the ear she'd boxed tenderly. 'Ouch!' He repeated, massaging it. 'What was that for?' 

'Don't you dare talk like that again,' she threatened him fiercely, pulling her arm back for another punch, 'ever!' 

'Wha- ?' 

Mei didn't give him a chance to finish, grabbing his collar and shaking him vehemently. 

'I don't care how sad you are, if you even think like that again, I'll…' she thought of a sufficiently scary threat, 'Lock you in the closet and throw a cockroach inside!!!' 

Tao pouted, rubbing his throbbing ear, a couple of tears slipping loose, though she wasn’t sure if it was because of the emotions or the punch. 

'Sure, you do that as well… it's not like anybody would care.'

Mei shook her head, letting him go. 

'Death is not a joking matter, okay?' 

A couple of weeks was not enough time to get over the scare they'd all given them, too soon to joke about it. She still had nightmares about it and only snuggling with Luhan could make her go back to sleep, feeling his heart beat reassuringly against hers. Like she said, no joking matter. 

'You have no idea how worried I was...' 

'You were worried, Mei…' Tao spoke over her words, turning his head so she couldn't see his face. His voice sounded teary, 'Not Raina… s-she-' he swallowed, 'she didn't even come to check on me. Not even once…' 

And that, Mei thought, is what really hurt him. 

'Don't cry…' she wiped his eyes with her palm before wrapping an arm around his shoulder and patting him soothingly. 'I'm sure she was worried about you, more than anyone else.' 

Tao shook his head, not believing her for an instant and buried his head in her neck, dampening it. Mei patted his back, mentally cursing Raina and her stupid tendency to get stuck on the spot or being unable to handle handsomeness. What kind of weakness was that? Look at how poor Tao was crying because he thought she didn't care. Idiot. 

Surprisingly, though, Tao's bout of crying was short-lived. She'd barely started losing feeling in her arm when he backed off, wiping his eyes clean. His nose was swollen and eyes even puffier than usual but he cleared his throat and Mei suddenly felt a lot like a proud mom, seeing how much he'd matured. 

She also felt like hitting Raina for making him cry. 

'Sorry about that…' Tao muttered, nodding at her shoulder which was wet with his tears. 

She shook her head, pulling him close and hugging him again. 'Don't cry like this, okay? You're Tao, the best looking guy after Luhan on the campus, okay? Raina's stupid if she ignores you for any other guy…'

'But Lay is handsome… and he's nice too…' Tao had no problems clinging to her and letting her pat his head. He merely made himself more at home, leaning properly so she could card her fingers through his hair easily. 

Mei shook her head. 'Have you seen yourself?' 

Tao looked up at her quizzically. Mei sighed, pushing back. 'I mean, girls practically drool all over the floor when you pass by…' 

Tao nodded. Then again, he wasn't one to argue with facts. 'So?'

'So? You don't need to chase after her, there are plenty others who'd love to…' 

Tao's eyes widened, mouth opening in protest. She was his mate, for heaven's sake. Mei waved her hand dismissively. 'I know that but she needs some sense knocked into her and realize how lucky she is that you even look at her.' 

Tao looked a little reluctant. 'But…'

'Basic rule of relationship – ' Mei raised a finger, 'You never let on how much you like someone. How do you think I got Luhan to chase me?' 

'Uh…' 

'Exactly! I kept him on edge, kept him guessing! And see where we are now?' 

Tao nodded slowly, understanding dawning on his face. 'So I should…'

'Keep her on her toes! Make her chase you, make her wish you'd look at her! Girls like mysterious guys, not painfully obvious ones and you, my friend, are obvious. So, here's what you're not going to do from today onwards: seek her out and try to talk to her, look at her or even think of her. You're going to pretend she doesn’t exist and go around looking like the hottest man on earth…' 

'After Luhan.' She added as an afterthought. 

'Do you really think it will work?' Tao asked, looking dubious. Mei clicked her tongue, offended. 'Of course it will! Who do you think got Tiffany and Sehun together?' 

'Uh…' 

'Exactly!' She gestured as if he'd made a point. Tao seemed to think about it before nodding. 'I guess you're right.'

'I know I'm right. She'll be begging you to claim her, I tell you!' 

Looking considerably cheered up at the prospect, Tao gave her a sweet smile. 'Thanks Mei, you're the best!' 

'I know.' She smirked, stretching her arms over her head before slumping on the roof. Ah, being helpful always put her in a good mood. Now, only if Luhan was here…

She sighed, feeling butterflies start in her tummy again and the desire to curl up in a fluffball or cuddle with a cute plushie was overwhelming. She cast a sideways glance at Tao, wondering if he'd mind it terribly if she squeezed the breath out of him because all these Luhan feelings needed to be let out or she'd burst.   

He caught her eyes and smiled. 'You look like you'd burst if you don't say something…' 

Mei giggled at the echoing of her thoughts and nodded in agreement. 'I have a lot on my mind.' 

'Wanna talk about it?' 

Mei cast him a look, biting her lip. 'Would you…? Next class is gonna start soon.'

He smirked, lifting a hand and snapping his fingers. 'We have all the time in the world, Mei.' 

She squealed happily, pulling Tao in a hug and squeezing him like she'd been wanting to. 'Luhan is so so so perfect…' she half-whined, half-sobbed into his chest, feeling like a great weight had been lifted off her chest. 

Tao laughed, patting her head. 'Yeah? This is what you needed to talk about?' 

She stuck her tongue out at him before burying her head back into his chest and squealing like a crazed fangirl. 

'But he is!!! He's the best mate in the whole wide world and I can't stop thinking about him and I know it's weird but he's so good and I just want to stay home and snuggle with him all day long… Tao…' she whined, sniffling a little because LUHAN!!!

'What should I do? I think I'm going crazy!!' 

Tao laughed again, ruffling her hair. 'Wow, sounds like you're crazy about him.' 

'I am…' she sobbed, looking up at him pathetically, 'and I promised I would wait but I just want him to call my mom and tell her that we're mar—umph, never mind!'

She blushed, unable to believe she'd almost spilled her secret. 

Tao had obviously picked on her slip. 'Tell her you're what?' He raised a brow, pushing her back and taking in her visage. She shook her head, not meeting his eyes.

'N-nothing…'

'Mei…' Tao intoned warningly and the dam inside her burst loose. 

'We… sort of eloped.' She told his shoulder, unable to look at his face just yet.

'WHAT?' He squeaked, obviously not expecting that. 'MEI!' 

'I'm sorry but he'd almost died, okay?' she covered her face with her hands, 'And I don't want to lose him again!!!' 

There was silence as Tao tried to digest the shocking news, reeling a little. Here was Mei, who'd freaking eloped with her mate because she was scared of losing him ever again. And then, there was Raina who couldn’t be bothered to even talk to him. Well, ouch.

Still, he shook his head because Mei had been nice enough to comfort him and she obviously had a lot on her chest. So he focused on her. 'When…?'

'The night before Angel and Suho's wedding…' 

Tao shook his head, unsure if he should praise her audacity or smack her for stupidity. He settled for clucking his tongue and hoped that'd do the trick. 'Anybody else know?' 

'God, no!' Mei looked horrified. 'I don't know what I'll do – I didn't tell even Tiffany and she'll kill me when she finds out, I just know it!'

Tao personally agreed with that assessment but he patted her comfortingly. 'I'm sure she'll understand…'

'And mom! And Aria!! Ugh, I don’t know what to do and Luhan's just so perfect and I have no one to talk to and its killing mee!!!' she squealed again, gripping his biceps so hard as she jumped around, her nails dug in his skin. 

'Calm down…' he waited for her to stop dancing around before continuing. 'I know now, so you can talk to me, alright?'

She squealed again, hugging him tight. 'You're the best!!!' 

After they parted, she looked up at him, smiling brightly before something seemed to cross her mind and she opened . Tao stalled her. 

'After Luhan.' He sighed as she grinned unrepentantly. 'I know.'

Giggling, she followed him out as they made their way back to class.
……………………………………

A/N

Because I promised my sister I would still give MeiLu sufficient screen time and well... I guess they deserve their fluff as well :D hope you guys had fun, let me know how you're feeling the story so far...good, bad, disappointing? And since this is a work-in-progress (aka I've been too busy to write anything otl), if you have any ideas, suggestions, wild theories etc etc regarding where you think the story should go, drop me a word and I'll see if its workable,  yeah? Feedback is always appreciated :) okay, thank you for reading and subscribing and upvoting (yes, I'm talking about you <3) I'll see you guys later 

<333333333333333

Oh and I just had the chance to FINALLY listen to EXO's 3rd album and its amazing??? I mean, its definitely not their usual tune and its unique and more groovy but still... the vocals? and damn, Monster really took my heart away! and Lucky one is so catchy... I dunno the fans who said they didn't like Lucky one... that song is so groovy, I was dancing in my seat listening to it OuO. I love the rest of the songs too. So... whose your favorite monster? (a month too late but entertain me :D) 

Tootles!