Chapter 58

You are My Destiny

When Rose had woken up again, no Lily in sight, she’d panicked. Had she dreamed the entire thing? Then her eyes landed on the couch where someone had considerately laid out a fresh towel, clothes and shoes for her.

Suddenly hyperaware of her griminess, Rose stepped off the bed and wobbled to toilet. Her stomach growled hungrily but she couldn’t bear the smell of blood, though faint, or the feeling of it crusted under her nails. Jumping in the shower, she scrubbed herself until she felt clean, her skin a raw red before putting on the new clothes and toweling her hair dry.

She wondered if she was allowed outside. She tried the door and it gave, opening easily so she stepped outside. Vaguely, she recalled waiting in one of the seats lining the corridor. Someone… Chen, had talked to her, calmed her down after she’d come in, Leo being rushed for treatment.

Silently, cautiously, she followed the corridor until she came on a double door and she nudged it open. Noise assaulted her immediately and she felt Star stir inside her but she pushed her down immediately. She was never letting Star control her again.

She peered around the door curiously, eyes landing on her sister immediately. Lily stood from her place, heading towards her and Rose felt herself relax. Lily was here, everything was going to be alright.

Before her sister could reach her though, another person stepped in front of her. Rose recognized him immediately from the calmness he emanated, even though she hadn’t been in any condition to pay any attention to anyone.

‘Hello Rose,’ he greeted her, smiling beatifically as he extended his hand.

Rose eyed him cautiously but nothing in her could sense anything negative, so she slowly took his hand. It wrapped around hers firmly but gently and he used his grip to pull her further into the room. She felt extremely exposed and vulnerable, unwelcome as she took in the sight of the people sitting. A few of the guys looked downright hostile and it scared her. Mostly because she suspected that they knew that she was hiding a monster inside her.

Lily’s presence beside her was very comforting and she tried to take heart in it. Her sister believed in her and she would never let Lily down. If Lily believed she was innocent, that she hadn’t attacked her brother deliberately or done any of those things she suspected herself of doing, then that was all that mattered.

She barely heard as the doctor holding her hand – Lay, he’d called himself – introduced the rest to her, leading her to the chairs. Her eyes were snagged by Chen, the guy with curly hair she’d followed, Star becoming alert the moment his name was mentioned. He looked at her, eyes serious even as he smiled and waved. She felt her face heating up and looked away, eyes landing on Xiumin.

He didn’t look as hostile as some of the others but he didn’t look quite welcoming either and something like disappointment settled in the pit of her stomach. Rose knew the emotions didn’t belong to her but getting Xiumin’s approval and acceptance had always been important to Star and to Rose by proxy. That he didn’t want her here was painful.

Thankfully, before she could dwell on it, there was a commotion and others arrived, taking the attention off her. She didn’t realize when Lay left them to bring Leo but she sensed him the moment he was wheeled in, jumping to her feet and dashing until she crashed into him, pulling him into a choking hug.

She didn’t even realize when she started crying; she was just blubbering out apologies, until Leo reached up to pat her head. ‘I’m fine, Rosie!’ he assured her, ‘thanks to you. Lay here tells me you saved my life.’

That made her cry even more. ‘But I attacked you!’ she sobbed into his chest.

He didn’t say anything in response, just held her tighter and she felt Lily’s hands on her back, rubbing soothingly. It was still some time before she felt settled enough to pull away, sniffing occasionally.

The group felt less hostile when they joined them again, Rose keeping her hands on Leo to reassure herself that he was still there, solid and warm beneath her fingers.

 ‘Hey man,’ Ken, one of Leo’s old friends, greeted him. ‘What happened to you?’

Rose blanched in response, fingers tightening around his shoulders. He put a hand up to calm her. ‘I’m not entirely sure. What’re you doing here? You know these people?’

‘Kind of.’

Just then, Suho spoke up, ‘Now that everyone is here… there is a lot we need to talk about.

……………………………………………

The tale he told was incredible. Incredulous, unbelievable and she might’ve thought they were lying – to what purpose was anyone’s guess – if she hadn’t been dragged into it against her will.

But when he started explaining about Evil and how the Legends came to be, she felt Star becoming alert. She didn’t try to come to the forefront, just became attentive, much like Rose herself. He explained about the different powers each of the Legends had and then, demonstrated it for the very skeptical Ken, who shut up at the sight of flames shooting out of Chanyeol’s hands.

What horrified Rose was the fact that with the tale’s retelling, Star had started having flashbacks of the time she’d presumably died. The Bad Person who’d eaten her, threatened Choomin and then dragged her to the Bad Place, where she’d hidden herself for a long, long time until recently when Bad Person had found her again...

It meant that the nightmares Rose had weren’t just dreams but actual memories and the Bad Person was a very real threat. No wonder Star had been so terrified, and so adamant on keeping Choomin safe.

It didn’t end with just their tale though. Suho explained the prophecy, how they came upon earth and highlighted how the mates came into play and why it was important for their families and friends to be on alert.

Then, it inevitably came to her. Since the fantastical tale had started, she’d been waiting, both terrified and strangely relieved. She might not know the whole tale but Star’s memories had given her a good idea about what was going on, even if it hadn’t made a lot of sense before. With the missing information in place, she could figure a lot on her own.

‘Not that this isn’t interesting and everything,’ Leo spoke up when Suho fell quiet, letting them digest the information he’d provided so far. ‘But how does any of this involve Rose?’

The Legends looked at each other, then at Xiumin, who sighed. It seemed like he didn’t want to talk about Star – not that she blamed him, considering.

‘I’m possessed.’ Rose, to her own surprise, sounded very calm when she spoke. She was looking at Xiumin, who didn’t seem shocked by the news. ‘By his sister.’ She looked around, catching Lay’s eyes. ‘Aren’t I?’

He nodded once. ‘It’s quite complicated, actually. And I don’t think any of it was planned but that’s how it came to be.’

She let out a slow, measured breath, feeling herself tremble. She hadn’t gone crazy and she hadn’t done any of those horrible things. She hadn’t tried to kill her own brother.

Tears filled her eyes and she suppressed a sob, sniffing when Leo’s hand tightened around her fingers. He pulled her until she was seated beside him, wrapping a long arm around her shoulders. Lily came to sit on her other side, squeezing her shoulder gently.

Lily was speaking again, explaining what Lay had told her, about how Rose had been comatose for so long, her soul had nearly left her and how she came to be possessed. Rose listened with half an ear, mind rampant with thoughts.

In a way, Star had saved her, doing what she did best and carving a niche for herself in place that had no room for her. She’d done the same thing in the Bad- the Abyss, and she’d done the same thing when she’d escaped.

It confused Rose. She tried, again and again, to hate the creature inside of her that had made her life so difficult. But it was hard to hate a little kid who only wanted to save her brother, who was just trying to survive. Her instinct was to attack because that’s how she’d kept herself safe in the Abyss. That’s why she’d attacked Leo because she’d been scared and pushed into a corner.

Star’s voice, faint, echoed in her head. I’m sorry, Lose.

I know, Rose responded, keeping the walls in her head firm. But I can’t let you do that again. I’m sorry too.

With that, she pushed her back again. Star remained a distinct presence in the back of her head but she didn’t attempt to overtake her.

‘This is crazy,’ Ken was saying, pulling at his hair. ‘This is so effing crazy!’ He looked around with wild eyes. ‘Tell me I’m not crazy,’ he pleaded. ‘Ouch!’ He peered at the girl beside him who’d pinched him, looking just as shell-shocked. ‘What the hell?’

‘This isn’t a dream,’ Tae muttered. ‘.’ She turned to look at the group, shaking her head before letting out a slightly hysterical laugh. ‘Trust Nara to fall for an alien! I knew mere humans wouldn’t be enough for her.’

‘I’m not sure if I should be offended or pleased,’ Chanyeol responded mildly. Nara was busy playing with the flame in his hand. ‘But I’ll take it as a compliment.’

Tae laughed again, a little less hysterical. That seemed to trigger some group sigh of relief as everyone visibly relaxed.

‘We still have to make living arrangements.’ D.O, the one who’d been consistently hostile and suspicious, spoke up. ‘Given the current circumstances, I would advise all of you – Ken, Tae and Leo included – to move in with us. This place is big enough to house all of us and it is our best defense against Evil. We believe that he’s been indisposed all this time, so he’s been using his minions. ‘

‘We know that there are at least two of them.’ He glanced briefly at Rose, who swallowed. ‘One of them is with Rose.’

Rose supposed she should be glad he was making the distinction between her and Star.

‘But we have no idea who the other might be. So far, the attacks had been low-key but the attack on Mei and Leo seems to indicate he’s ready to take serious action.’

‘Rose,’ he addressed her directly, surprising her. ‘I’m sorry to have to do this but we’ll keep you separately in the hospital wing.’ He spoke over her siblings’ protests. ‘It’s best for everyone’s safety.’

Much as she disliked the notion of being separated from her siblings, she had to agree with him. ‘I understand.’ She nodded, and D.O visibly relaxed.

Leo, on the other hand, turned to her. ‘But Rose…’

‘He’s right. It’s best if I stay away from you guys. I know that Star didn’t mean to attack Leo this time… but she has done things before.’ D.O had related the animal attacks and that one man she’d apparently infected and killed. ‘And I’m not taking any chances.’

And that was that.

After everything that had happened, deciding upon it so matter-of-factly felt unreal but Rose was sure of her decision. Her family’s safety, that of Xiumin and Chen and all these wonderful people, came first.

……………………………………………….

Chen cornered Lay after the group meeting ended, the healer heading straight for the hospital wing, no doubt to set things up for Rose.

He waited until they were alone before pulling him into one of the rooms. Lay came easily, smiling when Chen rounded on him. ‘What are you doing?’ he demanded, not fooled by the innocent look on his face.

‘Making sure Rose’s room is ready.’ Lay answered easily.

‘That’s not what I mean.’ Chen retorted through gritted teeth.

‘No? Then what do you mean?’ Lay raised his eyebrows challengingly, as if he knew exactly why Chen wasn’t asking outright. Knowing him, he probably did.

‘You know.’ Chen stated bluntly.

Lay tilted his head. ‘I do.’ he affirmed.

‘So?’ Sometimes, he didn’t know what to make of their healer. The man was simultaneously a genius and an idiot. ‘Why didn’t you say anything? It would’ve made everything easier.’

‘For whom?’ Lay asked, sounding genuinely curious.

‘For everyone.’

‘Not you, though.’ Lay pointed out.

Chen huffed. ‘That doesn’t matter.’

Lay frowned. ‘Of course it does.’

Chen rubbed the bridge of his nose, letting out a sigh. ‘Did you See anything?’ That would make sense, at least.

Lay shook his head. ‘I can’t See through dimensions,’ he said by way of explanation.

‘Then why are you doing this?’ He wanted to pull his hair out.

‘I trust you.’ he answered simply. Chen laughed humorlessly. ‘I don’t trust myself.’

‘You should,’ Lay told him seriously. ‘Have some faith.’

‘Lay, I hope to heavens that you know what you’re doing because I sure as hell don’t.’ He hugged himself, as if covering himself would hide his tainted soul. ‘You can’t trust me.’

Lay’s eyes flashed. ‘I trust my brother more than I trust anything else,’ he told him, words careful but vehement. ‘Even my visions.’

Chen swallowed, not sure how to respond. Since he’d woken up, he’d kept his distance from everyone, his Shadow included, because he wasn’t sure what he’d end up doing or revealing. Lay’s blind faith in him was as terrifying as it was elating.

Before he could say anything else, there was commotion outside and it brought them back to what they’d been doing.

‘This isn’t over,’ he told the healer as they stepped outside. Lay merely smiled in response.

………………………………………

A/N

Happy new year everyone. Let's make the best of what we have and what we get. Stay strong, love EXO. 

Bye :)