Chapter 42

You are My Destiny

They were holding hands when they finally made it to the carnival, attracting instant attention of his brothers. Kyra saw Chen give him a not so discreet thumbs-up; Baekhyun and Chanyeol weren’t even pretending to be discreet, they just started hooting and laughing, clearly embarrassing D.O. His expression darkened and that was enough to stop the Legends but he still turned to her.

‘I apologize on their behalf, they’re idiots.’ he told her gravely.

‘Hey!’ said Legends protested.

Kyra laughed, shaking her head to assure him it was perfectly fine. She clearly remembered how they’d stalked Sehun on his first date with Tiffany, and to be quite honest, she thought it was pretty funny. She honestly did not mind.

That did not stop D.O from scaring them away, growling and flashing his eyes at them. She thought it also had to do with the shadows that seemed to seep out of him whenever he got irritated or angry, surrounding him like a dark cloud. The Legends weren’t the only ones intimidated and bystanders gave their group a wide berth.

She’d always been more curious about why that happened and she thought that maybe Nara, who’d come along with Chanyeol, was just as curious because the girl seemed fascinated instead of scared. The group had already bought tickets for most of the rides, so they followed them and had a lot of fun.

Later, they went to explore the glass maze which had been especially set up by the carnival; it contained those distorted mirrors and it was big enough, several starting points to lead in, that the group unanimously decided to go inside in pairs, to make the trip more fun.

Naturally, the couples separated amidst much hooting, catcalls and frankly inappropriate suggestions thrown their way. D.O dragged them in first, solely to get away from Chen and Baekhyun’s loud commentary.

Kyra was laughing as he made them walk quickly, almost running to keep up with his solid strides, until the other’s voices faded somewhat and they had some peace and quiet. He slowed down after that, still holding her hand and let her take the lead.

The maze was quite confusing, especially since there were so many reflections around and the purplish red lighting didn’t help at all. The mirrors distorted the appearances a lot, making corridors look longer than they were and several times, they bumped into the mirrors. There were creepily grinning clowns everywhere and she’d never liked clowns all that much.

Without meaning to, she put herself close to D.O, who seemed to sense her discomfort and wrapped an arm around her waist, pulling her closer. Comforted, she clung to his arm and went about finding their way out.

She could tell D.O didn’t like the place all that much, looking around sharply at the slightest sound, nostrils flaring every once in a while. They were out in a surprisingly short time, D.O taking the lead again after the third time she walked into a mirror, and bringing them outside as if he’d known the exit all along.

Baekhyun and Chen, who’d gone in together, came out afterwards and Baekhyun started boasting about his ability to see through any trickery. ‘It takes one to know one,’ he told her, puffed with pride. Chen and D.O simultaneously rolled their eyes and smacked his head, making him pout pathetically at her.

‘D.O’s mean, make him stop.’ She laughed but pled for his case anyway. It made her infinitely happy when D.O stopped intimidating him with those shadows after her request and simply told him go away.

The rest of the Legends took a lot longer to come out and some of them (cough, Tao, cough) were even in tears by the time they made out.

She thought that maybe she was reading too much into it but it seemed like the Legends were somewhat subdued.

‘Sehun didn’t say anything but…’ Tiffany whispered when the boys went to buy snacks. ‘I think it reminded them of… that.’

That being the battle with Evil and the time they’d spent trapped in a maze… oh.

‘Are they alright?’ she asked, concerned. She hadn’t been there when the fight had started and had arrived at the very end, only to be stabbed by Evil almost instantly. To say her recollection was sketchy was understating it.

‘Well, Sehun’s never going to admit he was scared but I could feel it. So, I’m going to make sure to cuddle him lots tonight.’

‘I already cuddled Tao,’ Raina told them proudly, making her smile. ‘He was crying.’

Mei pouted sadly. ‘Luhan isn’t here.’

Tiffany patted her back soothingly. ‘It’s just one more day.’

Kyra wondered how D.O felt. His face hadn’t shown much but his shoulders had been tensed and he’d obviously wanted to get out as soon as possible. Should she offer to cuddle with him? The thought was simultaneously cute and hilarious.

‘Should I hug Chanyeol?’ Nara asked, cutely oblivious, having just arrived with Tae.

‘Who’s hugging Chanyeol?’ Tae asked, joining them as well.

‘Nara.’ Tiffany told her. Tae looked at her friend with pride. ‘That’s right,’ she told Nara sagely. ‘Hug him when he comes back.’

‘And his while you’re at it.’ Tiffany added her two-bits, making Tae crack up. Kyra shook her head, feeling pity for the innocent girl who was being corrupted.

‘Who’s are we groping?’ Trust Baekhyun to show up at the wrong time.

‘Chanyeol’s.’ Tae had no compunctions.

Chanyeol, who’d just shown up, blushed, touching his backside self-consciously. ‘Uh…’

‘Don’t his .’ Kyra told Nara, who’d begun to look more and more confused the longer their conversation went on. ‘But you can hug him.’

Nodding in thanks, she went off and Kyra watched her tug on his sleeve. Chanyeol looked a little wary but leaned down to listen to her and smiled at her request, opening his arms so Nara could snuggle in between. Nara obliged.

‘They’re so cute!’ Baekhyun and Tae cooed loudly. Chanyeol turned them around so his back was to them and that just made them louder. Kris, thankfully, stepped in and stopped them.

‘We have work to do tonight, so we should get going.’ He told the group, disregarding their objections. ‘Wrap it up!’

Kyra figured he was trying to be nice and give the couples a break from their annoying friends, since he only dragged Baekhyun and Chen away, Lay following sedately. Not wanting to third wheel her friends, Tae said goodbye as well and the group separated.

Sehun, Tiffany and Kai decided to spend some more time to cheer Mei up. Chanyeol went off with Nara. Raina had told her she and Tao had plans to go karaoke and maybe have a late dinner. That left her and D.O, alone once again.

He seemed fine but she still wondered if he was okay, after the maze. She had no way of knowing what he was feeling and he had a good poker face so…

‘What are you thinking?’

The question came as a surprise. She shook her head. ‘Nothing, just…’

‘Hm?’

She exhaled. ‘Are you alright?’

The question caught him off guard. ‘Uh… yes?’

‘It’s just… back in the maze, you seemed a little… upset,’ she mumbled, ‘and well, the girls thought it was because of… of the last time. I have no idea what happened, I just remember bits and pieces but…’

She looked up at him, noting the carefully blank look on his face. ‘I’m fine.’

‘Really?’ She was feeling very much out of her element. If she’d been the Kyra from that time, she probably wouldn’t have had to ask, she would’ve known. And maybe, she could’ve cuddled him already without feeling awkward.

‘Kyra.’

He waited until she met his eyes. ‘I wasn’t in that maze.’ he told her, ‘I was in the Abyss, looking for Chen and frankly, I had no idea they went through something like that until later.’

Something in her heart settled. ‘Oh.’

‘I just don’t like closed spaces.’ he added, looking away.

‘So…?’

He smiled, glancing down at her. ‘So I don’t need to be cuddled… though I certainly wouldn’t object if you want to do it anyway.’

She flushed. He’d obviously overheard them talking, and had rightly guessed her thoughts.

‘I think I’ll pass.’

He could’ve more, the mischievous glint in his eyes said that he wanted to but she was grateful that he didn’t. instead, he took her for a nice dinner at a nice little place with cozy atmosphere and lovely food. They talked occasionally, just chatting like two normal people out on a date. He asked how she got interested in psychology, she asked how he got into cooking. They shared some of their more interesting experiences, small incidents from their lives, a time before they met each other.

The conversation took a serious turn later but she didn’t stop because it was surprisingly easy to talk to him and she wanted him to know the importance he held for her.

 ‘I’d given up completely,’ she told him over their shared dessert. ‘After I found out about my disease, I mean. I’d been having these visions which showed me nothing but death and I saw no point in trying to fight the inevitable.’ She smiled nostalgically. ‘I didn’t want to meet you either, because I thought it would be easier for the both of us if we didn’t meet; it’d hurt you less but it was mainly selfish – I didn’t want to know what I couldn’t have.’

He didn’t say anything but he didn’t need to; his eyes were soft and empathic and she could feel herself tearing up, so she looked away, clearing .

‘But you found me anyway.’ She sniffed and smiled at him. ‘And I, I forgot you…’ Her voice cracked the end. He simply smiled in response, always better with gestures, his hand gently squeezing hers in comfort.

‘You don’t have to say anything,’ he told her sincerely. ‘It doesn’t matter.’

‘It does.’ She squeezed his hand back. ‘I owe you an explanation, at the very least, for hurting you.’

He didn’t deny that she’d hurt him and she knew that she was doing the right thing.

‘I’ve been thinking a lot about why I forgot you. Out of everything I could’ve forgotten, it was you… because you mattered the most.’

He blinked owlishly at her, dessert forgotten between them. It looked like he hadn’t expected this answer.

‘It made so much sense after my memories started coming back.’ She laughed self-deprecatingly. ‘I forgot you because I was dying and the thought of leaving you was… painful, so I pushed it away, buried everything so it wouldn’t hurt even more and…’

‘Kyra, please stop.’ His voice was soft, a contrast to his grip on her hand. She quieted, not intimidated but realizing that he’d had enough. He needed time too, to process things.

‘I thought it was because I’d failed to save you.’ he finally spoke up after a long silence. She started, having been lost in her own thoughts. ‘Excuse me?’

He let go of her hand then, putting his hands in his lap and fiddling. ‘I thought it was because I… I didn’t save you from Evil. That you hated me because of it.’

‘D.O I’m so sorry…’ He probably had been blaming himself all this time. He shook his head, telling her not to feel guilty. ‘Probably because I hated myself for letting you die like that.’

‘It wasn’t your fault!’ she was quick to defend him, ‘You couldn’t have known…’

He didn’t say anything but smiled affectionately, making her stutter and shut up. ‘Thank you,’ he told her after momentary silence.

They finished dessert in silence after that and headed back home. He pulled into the driveway and put the car in neutral, turning it off. Neither of them made a move to get out, unwilling to end the date just yet. Eventually she cleared .

‘I had a great time today.’                      

‘I’m glad.’ He finally turned to look at her. ‘Can I take you out again?’

She hadn’t expected him to ask her right away but she wasn’t complaining. ‘Of course.’

He was perfectly gentlemanly, opening the door for her and then walking her to her own room. She stopped at the door, turning to face him.

‘Goodnight Kyra,’ he told her, turning to leave.

After a quick internal debate, she called out. ‘D.O, wait!’

Before she could talk herself out of it, she leaned and landed a peck on his cheek. ‘Thank you!’ she whispered, feeling herself blush.

It only intensified when she felt his lips feathering over her own cheek, temptingly close to her lips. She could just turn her head and they’d kiss. Pushing the thought away, she let him pull back. And suppressed a pleased sigh when his fingers ran gently over the place his lips had touched before slowly tracing lower, closer to the bite which had started throbbing incessantly.

Gosh, how she wanted him to lean in and just steal her breath. He didn’t but his gaze had darkened significantly. ‘I’ll see you tomorrow,’ he promised.

‘Goodnight.’

……………………………….

A/N

And that, ladies, concludes the last of D.O/Kyra chapters. And also the fluff. This story is now going back to where we left off, Mei getting attacked and Xiumin going to get Rose. Things are going to be serious-er and If I get it right, I hope you'll enjoy the few twists I have planned. On the happier side of things, we'll be seeing Lily again, so yay! I don't know about anyone else but I missed her and I feel like this story is severely lacking in good Xiumin/Lily moments, a situation I'll do my best to rectify. So... well, hope you're enjoying it so far and that you'll continue to do so :) do leave me a comment if you get the chance, I'd love to hear what you guys think. 

Also, I'm still not over Kokobop or the Eve or the War and now, they released this: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6ycw7p9-bE

So, thank you SM, for doing this right :D

Stil missing Lay from EXO but at this point, I've resigned myself to support them, no matter what. Speaking of, keep streaming and vote for EXO on whatever polls that need our votiing. I'd lik EXO to make history by winning Daesangs five years in a row. As EXO-Ls, it IS up to us to do what we can and make it possible... So keep supporting our boys. 

Alright then. I'll see you guys later :3